Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tony Blair on GM TV

(8 Posts)
coggie Wed 22-Apr-20 09:20:27

I suppose it may be impossible to have a sensible discussion but I will give it a go, in the absense of anybody else to " talk" to.

I thought he seemed articulate and well presented. He didn't snipe at the government or individuals. He praised the hard work. He said at one point " I don't know the answer to that"

He seemed to have something sensible to say which may be worth listening to.

As an aside, during his time in power, he made some massive errors.

Iam64 Wed 22-Apr-20 09:25:52

I didn't see TB on GM TV but I've read a number of interviews and heard him on the radio a few times during this covid crisis. When discussing the current crisis, he's sounded well informed and sensible to me.

Yes, the biggest error during his time as PM, was the invasion of Iraq. I understand the criticism of PPI but, by the time Labour came into power, public services, School and hospital buildings needed a lot of investment. I was working in areas of high deprivation and those early years of his government made a positive difference.

Teetime Wed 22-Apr-20 09:35:54

I thought he sounded very sensible and proportionate.

Calendargirl Wed 22-Apr-20 11:30:55

Seems to be an identical thread to this.

THErose5 Fri 24-Apr-20 22:22:33

I wouldn't listen too a word from a war criminal like him, you all have very short memories, I can only summise you are Liebour voters. I can't even say his name only murderer.

Poppyred Fri 24-Apr-20 22:26:25

I’m with you THErose5 he makes my skin crawl - worst PM of all time - why do they give him airtime??

paddyanne Sat 25-Apr-20 00:04:07

from someone who is not a labour supporter can I say he was in no way the worst PM of all time.In fact he did quite a lot of good when he was in the job.There certainly wasnt the poverty there is now.He did make massive mistakes though withe the Iraq war being the most memorable but on the whole most were better off under his government .
All governments should be open to criticism ,even ones we think do a half decent job .The problem with most is they dont listen to or accept the criticism or put their hands up to their mistakes

Coolio007 Fri 01-May-20 08:00:30

Couldn’t stand the pair of them him or his side kick chancellor Brown. Worst couple of over spenders of all time. Robbed the pension funds which were doing Ok but Briwn couldn’t see why pension holidays by firms were being taken and now look at the funds. Working Family Tax Credits, the country can’t afford to pay and prop up big business. Next time you drink a coffee (if we ever do) in the big coffee houses, think how that person lives on minimum wage in London while their employer pays little or no tax to the UK? I believe May tried to get rid of the tax credits but was unable. Don’t mention the war. Blair’s idea for everyone to go to university, really, did everyone overnight become that intelligent. Now, there are first rate and second rate universities (formerly Polytechnics) employers know which are which. Worst pair ever.