Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Journalists - the blame game

(8 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 23-Apr-20 16:15:55

As most people tend to mostly know people who think like them, lemon, that is not in the least bit surprising.

But there is a whole world outside' everyone you know' which isn't filled with people like them...

As you should know just by reading Gransnet.

lemongrove Thu 23-Apr-20 14:24:00

Journalists like sensational news, if it's not around they invent it.
the ranting demands for information [when there is practically information overload already] is ridiculous.

everyone I know thinks the media is doing it's usual OTT routine to either sell papers or just to cause as much alarm and panic as possible.Odious!

Doodledog Thu 23-Apr-20 14:02:36

Who has written this? It strikes me as reminiscent of those annoying people who claim that they are 'only saying what everyone else is thinking', as though they have some sort of special insight, and as though anyone who disagrees is somehow out of touch.

How can the writer know 'the mood of the country'? The nearest to a clue we get in the article is 'from my online interactions'. Well yes - all of us will be likely to get a confirmation of our own thoughts from our online interactions. We are more likely to have people with similar beliefs as online friends.

I don't blame the government for the virus - that would be illogical and rather foolish. I do, however, blame them for the lack of action at the start, when there was a chance to avoid some of the deaths, and when they were being told to act, but didn't.

Nor do I see the journalists who are questioning the spokespeople at the briefings as 'childish'. Questions need to be asked, and people need to be called to account. The alternative is simply to put our lives, and those of our loved ones, in the hands of people who have, so far, spectacularly failed to keep them safe. We have been promised PPE and testing that has not happened at anything like the levels we need. Should we (or the journalists who are asking on our behalf) just pretend that this is ok? Our Prime Minister failed to attend COBRA meetings five times. Should we not be told about this? And so it goes on.

Yes, sticking our heads in the sand, painting rainbows on our windows and singing We Shall Overcome will take our minds off things, but is that really how adults want to be treated? Or do we want to be kept informed about what is happening (for better or worse), and given enough information to make decisions about how well or how badly the government has handled this awful situation? I know what my preference is.

nananorfolk Thu 23-Apr-20 12:27:44

I've been thinking this for a few days now, and totally agree with the sentiments expressed in this article. Why is it that this pandemic has been turned into a political football? Why all the blame when everyone knows we have never been in this situation before. Do people honestly think that the government aren't doing their best in extremely difficult circumstances? Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing, but we need to work together, look forward and all be on the same side. Let's see some positivity and more reporting on some of the good things that are happening, for example people who have recovered, companies who are making PPE in this country.

Atqui Thu 23-Apr-20 12:13:28

SORRY.I didn’t realise this had already been posted.

Atqui Thu 23-Apr-20 11:43:52

www.effiedeans.com/2020/04/journalism-is-missing-mood-country.html?m=1

Atqui Thu 23-Apr-20 11:42:33

Except I’ve probably not got the link right

Atqui Thu 23-Apr-20 11:41:38

https://www.facebook.com/784452593/posts/10158263320737594/?d=n

Long but worth reading