Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Better than flowers!

(12 Posts)
Willow500 Sat 25-Apr-20 07:09:51

A parcel arrived yesterday - I've had a few over the lockdown period but wasn't expecting anything else. When I undid the black bin liner wrapping (with gloves on of course) there was a shoe box which was even more puzzling. Imagine my delight when inside covered in tissue paper there lay a kg bag of SR flour, half a lemon drizzle cake and 3 cookies courtesy of my good friend 60 miles away! We talk several times a week and I've been bemoaning the lack of flour locally while she's been getting hers from a local shop at the end of the road. A prolific baker of cakes she's always made me something when we've been over there but this went above and beyond and better than receiving a bunch of flowers! grin

Has anyone else had such thoughtful gifts?

Esspee Sat 25-Apr-20 07:18:54

She sounds a lovely person. Enjoy!

brook2704 Sat 25-Apr-20 07:51:21

What a lovely present - enjoy baking !

Puzzler61 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:03:21

Really thoughtful friend and gift Willow500.
I’ve received a text this morning from our eldest daughter telling me she is making beef steak & mushroom pies today and will be bringing 2 to our doorstep later. Having tasted her steak pies before - my mouth is already watering.

Grannybags Sat 25-Apr-20 09:09:13

How thoughtful!

We had an Easter Egg arrive in the post which was a nice surprise from our son

geekesse Sat 25-Apr-20 09:12:24

My daughter sent me a disposable barbecue which arrived this morning so I could have some fun on the terrace this evening. And she added in a pack of my favourite Thornton’s chocolates for pudding.

Willow500 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:18:37

I've seriously thought about getting a disposable barbecue - with just the two of us it's pointless getting out the big one and having to clean it. Very thoughtful gift plus chocolates are always welcome whether in a box or an egg grin

Your steak and mushroom pie Puzzler would be a wonderful present to find on the doorstep!!

littleflo Sat 25-Apr-20 09:26:41

I had a Coronavirus lockdown kit from my son. It had chocolate, biscuits, cake, hand sanitiser, hand cream, bubble bath, a puzzle book and a bottle of rum. He also included chalk with a little blackboard in case I needed to ask for help. It is for hanging outside my door.

Puzzler61 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:37:54

Littleflo - what a nice Son? Just thinking ....... wouldn’t it be lovely if our Government was rich and could send a parcel with contents like those to every household that has Vulnerable or Older folk who are housebound? Ahh if only.

Teetime Sat 25-Apr-20 09:58:22

I sent my daughter some cheese from the Wensleydale Creamery - she loved it. Several tea shops here are delivering afternoon teas which is a nice gift for some one who is isolating.
Pork Pie shop here in Melton Mowbray delivers all year round anyway.

jenpax Sat 25-Apr-20 09:59:12

I haven’t received anything but am sending little gifts each week to each of my older DGC (9,8,8,6) this week it was a Gruffalow memory game for DGD 6 to play with her sister and parents in one house, and 3 copies of a children’s retelling of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (one to each of the 3 eldest) plus a map of the solar system for DGS (9) who loves space (which is also useful for school work). DD’s tell me that the little gifts which never cost more than £10 really cheer them up so it’s worth trying to keep it up I think.

fevertree Sat 25-Apr-20 12:26:31

Not an actual parcel, but smile my neighbour is in the 'not putting a foot outside' group - she has a lung condition. Apart from that, she is truly terrified about the possibility of catching the virus.

She can't see a part of her garden that is beyond the fence, in the front of her house. I know how much she loves her peony bush and it has so many buds at the moment - I've never seen it flower so prolifically. So I am taking photographs of it once a week and sending them to her so she can see the progress, and eventually it will be covered in beautiful pink flowers.