Gransnet forums


Should October wedding be cancelled ?

(10 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Fri 01-May-20 17:28:15

My son is due to get married on October 24th .
I know that all may and June weddings have been cancelled already but with this wedding being at a much later date in the year , my son and his fiancée hope they will be alright
However , you can’t cancel a wedding at very short notice so they probably would have to cancel early July at the latest but will we know more by then ?
I wonder what you lovely ladies think ? Has any of you got the same predicament in the family ? Would
love to know what has been decided or what you recommend if you are not in this situation but can think clearer than I can !

HurdyGurdy Fri 01-May-20 17:32:06

It's so hard to know what to do for the best, isn't it. We just don't know if we'll be out of this situation fully, partially, or not at all (please god, let us be at least partially out of it by then).

My son is due to be best man for his friend in October, but the bride and groom have just taken the decision to cancel.

They're still going to get married, but will have the big celebration including everyone, later.

So, no help to you. But I do sympathise.

Calendargirl Fri 01-May-20 17:42:18

That’s nearly 6 months away. No weddings are allowed at the present time, but I would hope by then you would be able to get married, but have my doubts if a ‘gathering’ would be able to take place.
But none of us know how it will all pan out. I can imagine it’s a real worry.

Ellianne Fri 01-May-20 17:47:34

I can understand how difficult it must be for you to think clearly. I think the big question would be, how many guests will be allowed to attend come October? If your son and future wife were hoping for a big gathering they might well be disappointed.
The rate of infections could rise again after the schools start, maybe September, in which case we could see another lockdown in October. Who knows?
I would be inclined to have a small ceremony and a celebration at a later date.

Sunlover Mon 04-May-20 08:27:16

My son has had to cancel his June wedding in Corfu. All very sad and stressful.
Hard to predict if large gatherings will be allowed any time this year. Will your son be able to postpone the wedding without losing deposit. I’ve heard of some couple losing thousands of pounds. So sad.

Lucca Mon 04-May-20 08:31:17

If they won’t lose deposit I’d be inclined to say cancel, with all the talk of second wave etc.

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-May-20 08:34:01

My thoughts are keep the wedding small and intimate but cancel the reception/party till maybe next year.
I think that’s what I’d do if it were me.

sodapop Mon 04-May-20 08:34:28

I agree with others. A small wedding in October then a big family party when its safe to do so. It's the marriage that matters not the wedding.

Iam64 Mon 04-May-20 08:50:25

I suspect its' rather like holidays. If customers cancel before the airline/wedding venue do, then the customer foots the bill. Wait and see what the venues are doing. Guests will be as aware as the bride and groom that things may change.

Washerwoman Mon 04-May-20 12:34:29

Waiting to see what happens with a family wedding that was postponed to early September. We RSPVD yes but to be honest what seemed ages away now seems very close and don't want to be miserable but I'm not keen of the idea of a big gathering anytime this year.And wonder how others that live further away feel about travelling and staying away.Who knows maybe there will be a limit on group events still then ?
Like many couples now they have lived together and had a family already.I would have a small ceremony and a party much later but we shall wait and see.