Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Clever virus

(23 Posts)
dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 14:44:50

I currently have corona virus and generally don’t have bad symptoms but so far, every afternoon at about 2pm my temperature goes up for about 30 minutes and I feel short of breath and shaky. After about 2 hours it goes and I return to feeling just slightly tired and a bit unwell.
My question is how does the virus tell the time?😀

NfkDumpling Tue 05-May-20 14:50:43

Perhaps it depends how much you had to drink at lunchtime?

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 14:54:18

Obviously not enough! 😀I don’t start on the scotch until at least 6pm, I’ve been very restrained.

SalsaQueen Tue 05-May-20 14:57:25

Are you diabetic? I wondered if it's to do with your blood sugar levels.

NfkDumpling Tue 05-May-20 14:58:13

And your temperature isn’t up all the time dizzyblonde? This virus is really clever as it seems to have so many different symptoms.

I’m wondering how many people have actually had it and not realised. There’s a good chance my DH and I had it in February after spending three hours in Schipoll airport near some very poorly people travelling from the Far East. The symptoms were right. Then there were all those people with bad annoying coughs and flu like symptoms in January. Our DS and DiL are convinced they had it at the end of December. But of course, nobody knew about it then.

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 15:04:04

No not diabetic, my blood sugar is normal. My temp is normal first thing and at lunchtime. It only seems to go up for 30 mins to an hour.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 15:21:42

I'd make a note of it dizzyblonde and if it continues or you you feel worse then phone 111 for advice.

Washerwoman Tue 05-May-20 15:23:41

Dizzy that's very interesting. I had what I think can only be CV .Wasn't tested as managed symptoms at home.But had 10 days of fever going up and down. Almost normal temp in the morning but every afternoon would shoot up again and then with panadol settle a bit only to go up again in the evening. No cough as such but tight chest and dry airways and body aches. Almost felt normal for some parts of the day.Then when temperature finally stopped yo -yoing a sore throat and incredibly exhausted for a week.Have you been tested ?Now I'm back to normal -still a bit tired -I'd be interested to know as you sound very similar. It is a weird virus.And so very varied in how it affects people.

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 15:33:10

That’s almost exactly how I’ve been. No cough, really dry mouth and achy. Tested positive last week. Not terribly bothered as not dreadfully ill and can keep an eye on my own oxygen levels.

Callistemon Tue 05-May-20 15:34:56

Take care, let's hope it's very mild as most people do have fairly mild or manageable symptoms.

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 15:39:23

Indeed. DH has had it, he’s 2 weeks in and totally recovered, only had cold like symptoms.

Nannee49 Tue 05-May-20 15:46:02

Washerwoman I've had exactly the same symptoms as you describe since the end of January/early February but easing then recurring for no apparent reason.

My granddaughter said she believed her friend had CV symptoms before Christmas, so a likely source of infection, but no-one knew about of Coronavirus then. However, it's been revealed in the last couple of days that France had a case, misdiagnosed as pneumonia, actually in December.

All very odd and seeming very difficult to shake off for certain although, thank goodness, relatively mild.

AGAA4 Tue 05-May-20 15:51:40

It's good to hear of people who have manageable symptoms, who aren't too ill with the virus, although unpleasant I am sure.
The media seems to focus on those who have been extremely ill even if they have recovered.

Glorybee Tue 05-May-20 15:58:46

I had what I assume to be Covid-19 7 weeks ago. I had a continuous dry cough and had to keep going to bed as my temperature rose, then I’d get up for a while then go back to bed. No headache, just achy limbs and general ‘fluey’ feeling. That lasted a week and then I was left with what felt like fluid at the bottom of my lungs, although I’d had no catarrh whilst I had the high temperature. I googled ways to encourage the fluid up so it could be properly coughed out and after a week my lungs were back to normal. My husband who has had heart treatment got no symptoms at all. He eats more healthily than I do and goes for 4 mile walks, has had flu and pneumonia jabs although I’m not sure that would have made any difference as it’s a new strain of virus.

trisher Tue 05-May-20 16:08:05

dizzyblonde have you tried having a rest at say 1pm. There is evidence that sleep and rest improve the immune system and antibodies in the blood. It could be that you last until 2pm on the sleep you have at night but by that time your defenses are struggling and so your temperature rises.

BlueSky Tue 05-May-20 16:36:44

How old are you Dizzy?

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 16:50:22

I’m welded to my sofa at the moment but I might try actually going to bed in the afternoons.
I’m 55 BlueSky

MayBee70 Tue 05-May-20 17:11:37

Have you been taking paracetamol?

dizzyblonde Tue 05-May-20 17:59:16

When I’ve needed to yes. Only for the aches and pains though as policy is to not take them just for a temperature.

BlueSky Tue 05-May-20 18:04:10

Thanks Dizzy so you are not in the 'danger zone' hopefully you will have a mild dose and you should be over and done with and you should have built some immunity.

Washerwoman Tue 05-May-20 18:05:53

Nannee your comments are interesting too.I will have to be careful not to go full tilt as I have a very active lifestyle generally. 20 years ago after a virus that led to arthritic type symptoms I got a viral fatigue thst lasted months.So I'm definitely pacing myself. I had a busy morning but had a sleep this afternoon.Sleep is meant to be key to boosting immune systems.
Even with mild cases I think it's essential to rest,take panadol as soon as temperature rises and drink lots of water.I was also very thirsty as soon as I had a fever.

NfkDumpling Tue 05-May-20 18:19:13

Nannee49. It's interesting that your DGD's friend thinks she had it before Christmas. I think it's been around far longer than the government says.

Fennel Tue 05-May-20 18:36:32

That's interesting for me too, Dizzy.
I can't remember when it started, early this year. but I had those sudden feverish feelings a few months ago. No cough or other symptoms. Except that later the fever was followed by feelings of nausea.
Then returned to (dozey) normal. Thank God.