Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’m Sooooooooo excited!

(15 Posts)
Esspee Wed 13-May-20 12:14:06

The council have started collecting garden waste again!
I “borrowed” the remaining space in all the neighbour’s bins and was still left with a huge pile. I stood by it and offered to load it on the truck myself but the lovely men told me they’d do it.
I can’t believe I am so pleased and excited about such a simple thing..
What little things have given you immense pleasure during lockdown?

Fennel Wed 13-May-20 12:17:21

it's a sign that things are slowly getting more back to normal. We were excited too. Put the bin out but no-one came. We paid in advance so will have to email them. no good trying to ring.

Millie22 Wed 13-May-20 12:18:42

I'm the same it was the highlight of the day when the council came to empty our garden bin after six weeks. There was a fb page for people to track the bin lorry. That's lockdown making us all look forward to things we took for granted before.

tanith Wed 13-May-20 12:19:09

Thankfully our council never stopped collecting garden waste. Little things eh? ?

Oopsminty Wed 13-May-20 12:22:15

Our bin men haven't stopped either

Good news for Esspee!

Esspee Wed 13-May-20 14:17:39

You truly don’t appreciate things until you have to do without!

tidyskatemum Wed 13-May-20 14:53:17

I was gobsmacked to hear about the number of councils who had cut back on waste collection, not just garden rubbish but the recycling as well. Everything has stayed as normal here. Our binmen do a cracking job and are always cheery. We should appreciate them like the postie, the delivery men and the shop workers.

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 15:17:02

Our council are very quick off the mark. First in the area to suspend all collections except black bags every other week. Probably will be the last to reinstate too. Then they are surprised that fly tipping has increased!

AGAA4 Wed 13-May-20 15:53:35

Our bins have been emptied every week without fail during lockdown. Another group of people to be grateful for. There are so many now making the lives of those who can't get out easier.

grandMattie Wed 13-May-20 15:59:06

The council didn’t have the public areas mown until two days ago. The cut gave me so much pleasure. It looks tidy and loved now along the quay and the river. So much nicer than the mess.

vampirequeen Thu 14-May-20 15:45:25

I'm amazed that some councils have cut back on waste collection. Ours have collected as normal and we don't pay extra to have garden waste taken. Our garden waste goes into the brown bin along with food waste which we collect in small containers in the kitchen lined with biodegradable bags. The small containers and bags are also provided by the council free of charge.

SueDonim Thu 14-May-20 16:28:49

We don’t have a garden waste collection here but other bin collections have continued as normal.

I’m very pleased today with the pizza and brownie meal that’s been delivered this afternoon! Roll on dinner time. grin

BBbevan Thu 14-May-20 16:31:14

Our council never stopped. March to November without fail. And very pleasant chaps too.

Teddycat Fri 15-May-20 20:28:17

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one! I actually watched the dustmen empty my green bin and I was actually excited!

Elizabeth1 Fri 15-May-20 20:55:47

My dh is fixated on bin uplift days I’ll get a running commentary from him about which bin is for what.grin He used to put the bins out for our neighbours good man now the youngest neighbour put the bins out and not before time angry I’m just so pleased each bin has a photo on it telling me what goes where. Good guidance.