Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

House viewings

(24 Posts)
Oopsadaisy3 Fri 22-May-20 15:48:11

A friend of a friend is putting her house up for sale , privately, the first viewers will be her parents who she hasn’t seen since lockdown, the next viewing is her sister and the following day her brother is going around, the house will then be taken off the market ............
Daft? Maybe but not as daft as allowing estate agents and Joe Public into your home.
If you are having potential buyers in at least make sure that they have sold their own house and are in a position to buy.

rosecarmel Fri 22-May-20 15:28:39

And if you can't find the blue overshoes shower caps will do-

Franbern Fri 22-May-20 10:05:12

Better than gloves, which can just move virus from one place to another - put a good 60% alcohol hand gel at front door and insist this is used by all both on entering and leaving.
Shoes are always a nightmare with people viewing, I had a pack of those disposable blue overshoes for all viewers when I sold my house last year.
If there is a cloakroom close to the front door, you could also ask that anyone coming in firstly washes their hands, and leave soap and throw away towels in there.
Good Luck

SueDonim Thu 21-May-20 21:05:12

Thanks, Rosecarmel!

May7 Thu 21-May-20 20:54:02

Weve been asked by our estate agent to video our house. They said they've had a few enquiries during lockdown to request a viewing!!! What is it about lockdown that people didnt quite understand??
This should prove interesting confused
I've told them we'll do our best

rosecarmel Fri 15-May-20 23:58:47

Congrats to your son smile

rosecarmel Fri 15-May-20 23:57:45

Sue, I'm currently looking in 20 counties- I check twice each day for updates- Also, the interest rates are low and expected to drop again- (Someone I know refinanced last week at 3.2) So yet another reason they are selling at warp speed-

SueDonim Fri 15-May-20 19:45:40

My son is in the US. He sold his house and bought another, in a different state, in 48hrs last weekend. shock They only saw the estate agent when viewing, people went out while they viewed the houses.

As Rosecarmel says, the houses on the market now are people who really want to sell.

Sussexborn Fri 15-May-20 19:42:08

I am assuming that people viewing will be as apprehensive as the sellers so will follow any instructions given and be cautious. They will have viewed via video already so that should cut out a large number of time wasters and nosey neighbours “looking for a friend or relative”.

rosecarmel Fri 15-May-20 19:32:31

Prior to the pandemic, I viewed a home where shoes had to be removed and disposable slippers had to be worn ..

The current issue is speed, since houses are selling like hotcakes because not many homes are entering the market ..

Thus far I've missed out on 3 .. And that's within 24/48 hours after being listed ..

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-May-20 18:25:44

rosecarmel is in the USA!

Ellianne Fri 15-May-20 17:56:36

I would have thought the agents themselves, assuming they accompany the viewers, won't want to be exposed to random buyers, so they will vet everyone carefully to make sure they are serious and have the funds.
I would insist that everyone wears gloves and maybe masks and doesn't touch worktops or open cupboards . We went to the offices of a show home today and they had sanitiser by the front door and on the table. The show homes were closed, viewings were by pre arranged appointment.

Grammaretto Fri 15-May-20 17:50:33

Kirsty Allsopp was talking about this on the news yesterday. She was saying just that: leave everything open, doors and drawers that you can and have the minimum of people in the house so you going out would be best. Would the agent be around to answer questions?

If I was viewing, I wouldn't be touching things much anyway.

GrannySomerset Fri 15-May-20 17:23:55

Can the agents at least establish how serious potential viewers are, particularly in terms of having finance lined up? Now is not the time to waste on people who are vaguely interested in moving house!

May7 Fri 15-May-20 17:18:13

Nowhere does it say removing shoes on the official advice I think that maybe just what some sellers might like to happen. Not me!!! leave your shoes on please I dont want to smell anyone's feet

Luckygirl Fri 15-May-20 16:37:31

Fingers crossed Teetime.

I am puzzled by the removing shoes bit. I will look it up.

Teetime Fri 15-May-20 14:50:23

Their is detailed advice on the Gov Uk website re viewings.

We had a phone call from our builder today saying they are back on site so we might get our move going after all.

rosecarmel Fri 15-May-20 13:51:23

Some sellers require that shoes he removed ..

Luckygirl Fri 15-May-20 13:27:11

Indeed - I am hoping that only people with serious intent will wish to view. Good luck with your viewings.

May7 Fri 15-May-20 12:35:22

We are also in this situation as our house went up for sale the weekend before lockdown. Our estate agents have contacted us with how they are going to handle the viewings but to be honest I'd already set my own rules anyway. It's a difficult situation to be in I know because obviously we want to sell but we just all have to be as careful as we can.

Anyway most people can view on line and perhaps it will deter the casual Sunday afternooners from bothering us.
Theres always a silver lining
Stay safe luckygirl

Luckygirl Fri 15-May-20 11:56:51

I guess it is just a matter of common sense really and taking care - I would prefer to err on the cautious side.

Septimia Fri 15-May-20 11:29:21

I think what you've suggested is much the same as the advice estate agents have been given. Also only serious potential buyers should be looking round and most more casual viewings should be virtual ones. That way, at least, you should only have to cope with one or two people.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-May-20 11:02:07

If you're in England you're allowed to do that, aren't you? It sounds as if you have thought of lots of ways to make the process safe. Good luck - I hope you find another buyer quickly!

Luckygirl Fri 15-May-20 10:08:45

My buyer has just dropped out so my bungalow is back on the market. In order to sell it I need people to view it! But how to make it safe?

My plan would be to not be in the house at the time; to open all doors so they do not have to touch anything; to insist that they wear mask and gloves; to open all windows after they have gone, and also to disinfect surfaces and door handles.

What would you do?