Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Shame on the BBC; what are they playing at?

(28 Posts)
Smileless2012 Mon 18-May-20 19:08:04

Couldn't believe what I was hearing on the 6.00pm news this evening. A doctor saying he didn't know that loss of one's sense of smell could be an indication of the virus.

He put on a fitted hood and pepper spray was used to test whether or not the hood was working correctly. He realised he had no sense of smell at this point, but didn't get himself tested for Covid until he developed a fever.

Loss of sense of smell and taste as a possible sympton of Covid wasn't news to me or Mr. S. as we already knew this, and have known since March.

An article in the Independent March 21st., the New York Times March 22nd and the Daily Mail March 26th et al all reported these as being possibly symptomatic of the Covid virus. Which begs the questions, why wasn't a doctor aware of this? and why did the BBC present it as 'news'.

Smileless2012 Tue 19-May-20 09:57:56

He didn't say GrannyLaine. We were amazed that he wasn't aware of the connection because like you we already knew it could be an early indication. It was only when he developed a fever that he got tested.

GrannyLaine Tue 19-May-20 09:46:23

Smileless2012 did he say when he developed the infection? He was a consultant neurosurgeon and I find it pretty amazing that he was unaware of the connection. I have been aware for some weeks that it can be an early symptom of CV19 but that it also happens with other conditions that affect the respiratory tract.

Smileless2012 Tue 19-May-20 09:25:46

It was the way the story was presented Pheonix. A doctor who didn't get himself tested when he realised he'd lost his sense of smell, until he developed a fever because he didn't know that that alone could be an indication that he may have the virus.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 22:58:37

The Government will issue medical information on the advice of their medical experts who presumably think that this is the right time to make the public aware of this symptom.

Reports of this symptom were anecdotal up until now and not regarded as evidence, hence the additional advice now.

GrannyLaine Mon 18-May-20 22:18:48

Furret is there something about anything that I post that requires an unpleasant response from you?

Furret Mon 18-May-20 22:15:28

Oxymoron alert!

Government’s rationale.

GrannyLaine Mon 18-May-20 22:08:43

A lot of nonsense being talked about this on the late news. The government's rationale was perfectly explained at this afternoon's briefing by Jonathan van Tam. Made perfect sense to me.

Furret Mon 18-May-20 22:02:25

As others have said this has been known for quite some time. Just the government playing catch-up - again.

phoenix Mon 18-May-20 21:56:08

Still don't understand why Smileless thinks the BBC are somehow to blame! There are other broadcasting media organisations!

NfkDumpling Mon 18-May-20 21:01:03

I always had a good sense of smell, but I realised over last year that it had diminished to the point of non-existence. Then at the beginning of February we flew back from holiday via Schipol and picked up this nasty virus type infection. And my sense of smell has come back!! Twice as strong as it ever was and everything tastes wonderful too!!

lemongrove Mon 18-May-20 20:49:52

I have little sense of smell or taste when I have hayfever with birch pollen!
It last about a month.

Niobe Mon 18-May-20 20:41:43

The loss of the sense of smell and a loss of taste and appetite came about a week before I actually developed a cough. After the cough went my senses of smell and taste returned slowly.

janeainsworth Mon 18-May-20 20:24:09

I don’t know why you’re having a go at the BBC, Smileless. As others have said, they are merely reporting the news that loss of taste & smell have been added to the diagnostic criteria that allow someone to get tested.

It’s obvious why the NHS didn’t acknowledge these symptoms back in March - if they had done, many more tests would have been required and the country didn’t have the capacity.

Whether that’s the Government’s fault, or the NHS’s fault, or nobody’s fault, is a matter of conjecture. It certainly isn’t the Beeb’s.

It’s so easy isn’t it to be wise after the event. But casting blame & telling people to be ashamed of themselves really doesn’t help the situation. I’m sure in years to come those who are responsible for mistakes that have been made will find it hard to forgive themselves.

Most people, whether they are politicians, scientists or clinicians do their best and make decisions in the light of the information they have available at the time.

Ilovecheese Mon 18-May-20 20:11:45

Very misleading thread title. The BBC were just reporting that this symptom had belatedly been recognised and added to the list of symptoms.

Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

EllanVannin Mon 18-May-20 20:11:28

Sinus problems and a catarrhal infection can cause loss of taste/sense of smell too as well as a temperature.

When I had the lurgy ( for nearly two months ) it was my legs which gave way as I struggled home from the corner shop. All I'd wanted to do was sit down there and then, the most awful feeling I've ever had in my life. Appetite went West as well which was so unlike me. I was too ill to see the doctor---daft as it sounds.

In all honesty, whatever it was it's left its mark, after only recovering at the beginning of March ( January and February were a blank ) my kidneys haven't been right as both feet are swollen so I suppose it calls for a bit of help in the way of water tablets. Maybe it was the warfarin that kept the worst at bay ? So yes, I'm convinced I had the virus.

I remember there were many of us here just after Christmas all saying we had the lurgy ? Makes you wonder, because most of us were definitely ill what seemed for weeks.

phoenix Mon 18-May-20 19:54:20

Why just point the finger at the B.B.C? confused

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 19:48:48

I didn't really think about it until DH asked me to sniff something, saying 'you've got a good sense of smell' but I could smell nothing.
I realised it was back 3 or 4 weeks ago.

If you mean Kawasaki disease, CanadianGran, it is rare, I hope, but quite terrifying.

MerylStreep Mon 18-May-20 19:40:04

Callistamon
Thanks for that. I didn't know. It's coming back little by little.
My coconut moisturiser is my best friend at the moment as it's the best thing I can smell ?

CanadianGran Mon 18-May-20 19:37:02

Bewildering, isn't it? You would think all news regarding this virus would be passed along through medical news updates to all doctors and front line health workers.

They is now a new complication with children, a toxic-shock like syndrome. I would hope the news of this is passed along so that it can be quickly recognized and treated.

In the past I had lost my sense of smell and taste. Not to the extreme of this virus, but it was worrisome. When I realized it, I did some reading and found it is commonly an early sign of alzheimer's. I was very worried, but eventually I 'came back to my senses', or rather they came back to me!
It must have been the result of a cold or virus, but I didn't really make the connection at the time.

SueDonim Mon 18-May-20 19:36:37

I lost my sense of taste and smell back in March, alongside what seemed to be a nasty cold. It still hasn’t properly returned.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 19:34:58

MerylStreep so did I, that was around Christmas time.

It was discussed on GN, I think, some while ago. Perhaps it was not recognised an official symptom until several people had reported it.

However, loss of taste and smell are symptoms of other viruses and illnesses too and not specific to COVID19.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 18-May-20 19:26:09

It was listed as a symptom in some other countries, but our experts (and Government) decided that it wasn't worth mentioning. The fact that the officials have just acknowledged that it is a symptom makes it news - so the BBC are reporting it as such. No blame on them, whatsoever!

MrsEggy Mon 18-May-20 19:25:10

A friend had a serious illness, cough, shortness of breath, diagnosed at hospital and sent home with antibiotics in January. Later totally lost his sense of taste and smell for about a month, was told it was a "virus". Still not had any test.

MerylStreep Mon 18-May-20 19:21:47

Smileless
Not surprised. I lost my taste and smell before last Xmas when I and hundreds? Of other people were coughing for the Olympics and feeling very ill. ? I know 2 other people personally who had the same symptoms before Xmas and both lost their taste and smell.

Smileless2012 Mon 18-May-20 19:18:13

We were aware of it in March, even though it wasn't on the official list of symptons and yet a doctor wasn't!!