Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Social distancing (again)

(8 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 19-May-20 11:44:20

It is a lovely thought.

However, if your husband has COPD and 76 , shouldn't he be shielding and that should be suffice for your friends?

V3ra Tue 19-May-20 11:24:03

It's not just where you sit though, is it?
There's crockery, cutlery, glasses, cups to think about.
Not to mention the toilet!
It's a lovely gesture from your friend but probably not a good idea, especially if you're not happy about it.

For my birthday last week we ordered an Indian takeaway as usual. Normally we'd have invited our son to join us but that couldn't happen, so my husband asked the restaurant to put his meal in a separate bag and left it on his doorstep for him!

25Avalon Tue 19-May-20 11:18:48

Dh not dj

25Avalon Tue 19-May-20 11:18:19

This is against the social distancing rules. We are not allowed to meet up like this. Personally with my DJ’s heart condition and both of us being over 70 no way would we go. We have socially isolated since early March and will continue to do so until a vaccine or treatment is found.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 19-May-20 11:11:24

No you aren’t wrong, you do what you think is best for you both, personally I think you are being sensible

Willow500 Tue 19-May-20 11:06:41

Could you do a virtual part via Skype, FaceTime or Zoom? It was my sister in laws birthday a couple of weeks ago and we both baked scones and cakes and chatted for an hour. It makes for a different meeting but still means you can celebrate.

rosenoir Tue 19-May-20 11:04:00

If she has taken offence then she will get over it. Harder to get over the death of a loved one.

Estrellita Tue 19-May-20 10:35:48

It is my husband's 76th birthday on Saturday. He has COPD and is overweight. We both have high blood pressure. Some friends invited us to lunch to celebrate his birthday at the weekend. They say we can socially distance, with us sitting in their conservatory and them in the garden (or vice versa) and that they would order from Deliveroo. I declined, saying that we would prefer to wait until the lockdown is over, but I think she might have taken offence. Am I wrong to have refused?