Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid Testing

(17 Posts)
sp1953 Tue 19-May-20 21:59:53

My mum is 91 years old and I am taking her for a Covid test in preparation for her moving into a Covid free care home. Booking online was a doddle and finding a venue and time was easy, although miles away. My problem is one of the requirements is photo ID, driving licence or passport. She has never driven and her passport expired about 4 years ago. She has a blue badge and bus pass but I don't think these are proof of identity. Any ideas would be welcome. I'm sure my Mum won't be the only one.

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 22:22:14

She won't be the only one without those documents, so I would hope they can take her bus pass or blue badge as proof.

cornergran Tue 19-May-20 23:21:34

Had a test today and wasn’t asked for ID. I’d forgotten it is noted as a requirement until I saw this thread. If your Mum has anything confirming her identity that includes her photo (bus pass?) then take that in case. Otherwise perhaps take a council tax bill, anything official. As you say she can’t be the only one. Alternatively why not try for a test at home kit?

If you can I’d suggest printing out the confirmation. There seemed to be problems scanning from phones, my paper copy was greeted with some relief, it also sent me ahead of a couple of cars. Possibly just a glitch. I found the staff unfailingly pleasant and helpful today, it was a very quick process for me and I’m sure all will be well for your Mum.

sp1953 Wed 20-May-20 07:47:06

Thank you cornergran I think we have a whole file of stuff to take with us and good idea about printing the confirmation I’ll do that. Unfortunately there were no home kits available.

kezia Wed 20-May-20 07:52:07

My blue badge has my photo on the back of it, I'd forgotten because it's always in its case but when I renewed it they asked if they could use the same photo so I checked grin and there it was

rowyn Wed 20-May-20 09:37:39

Surely even if her passport is now out of date, it is proof of her identity? It has a photo etc and probably proof of her successful use of it in the past?

minxie Wed 20-May-20 09:39:31

I don’t have a driving licence or a passport and I was allowed to use my concession bus pass which had my photo on

Janetashbolt Wed 20-May-20 09:56:56

They were asking for ID when testing began to make sure no one was trying to get a test they weren't due, I had to take photo ID and work ID and they were well scrutinized, window down, mask off... Now nearly every one can have the test I don't think they care about ID

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-May-20 10:32:44

I drove some way to pick up my passport in order to be tested. When I got to the centre nobody wanted to see it it and they just took the information from my phone.

I think this is open to abuse personally, but does mean you probably won't have any problems.

lizzypopbottle Wed 20-May-20 11:17:40

I think an expired passport might be accepted.

Mollie11 Wed 20-May-20 11:57:09

Hi my husband and I had tests last week we took our passports but were not even asked for them as long as you have the bar code either by text or email it will be fine
Good luck stay safe
Calerie

Annaram1 Wed 20-May-20 12:04:21

rowyn, in ordinary times I was asked for my passport for some financial matter. It had gone out of date a couple of months earlier. The Jobsworth who examined it said "I can't aceept this as its out of date." I pointed out that my photo was there and a specimen of my handwriting and he still said it would not do. Luckily he accepted my driving licence and as soon as I could I applied for a new passport.

Riggie Wed 20-May-20 13:35:28

Its getting hard for those of us who dont drive or who have old style non photo driving licences (still perfectly kegal) and no passports. The government needs to get its act together - if they insist on photo ID for some things then they need to consider a low priced national photo ID card!!

sp1953 Wed 20-May-20 14:08:23

Thanks everyone, test completed and no photo ID was asked for! Good tip from cornergran about printing of the confirmation, it saved a bit of time, when others were having trouble with their mobiles.

lemsip Wed 20-May-20 16:10:14

surely there's a phone number with the test details that you could phone!

sazz1 Wed 20-May-20 16:25:14

Birth certificate marriage certificate council tax bill should all help

NannanTo4 Wed 20-May-20 21:37:46

We, OH and myself, were tested on Monday morning at 0900 and results were with us at 0905 this morning. Both negative. However I would have been more than happy to have proved positive with the symptoms I had, just to get it out of the way. So to speak. I was invited through filling in the daily report. I had had a couple of days total fatigue, no appetite and stinging eyes.
As I have not left house/ garden since 21st March OH went with me because if I had it it would have come from him. He’s been our main shopper.
Longing for the day I can hold my grandbabies, 5, 4, 2 & 2.
Keep safe everyone flowers