Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone need a dentist?

(95 Posts)
maddyone Thu 21-May-20 11:59:46

When will dentists be allowed to return to work do you think? I’ve had a metallic taste in my mouth for a couple of days, and a very slight achey feeling. I’m concerned that I have a leaking filling. It’s not too bad at the moment, but I’m very concerned that it might develop. I missed my last general check up as it was due in March, after the lockdown. I’ve heard some horrific stories on the news about people in pain, so much so that one person pulled his own tooth out. Surely we can’t allow this situation to continue indefinitely, it’s seems inhumane to refuse an entire population any dental care for so long. Surely emergency patients should be seen. The dentist and dental nurse could wear full PPE and receptionists work from behind a screen, like the doctors receptionists do. Our GPs are still working, despite the risks. When will we have dentistry back do you think?

maddyone Wed 05-Aug-20 23:50:28

Well tomorrow I’m getting the treatment I’ve been waiting for since May 21st, I note that I started this thread on that day. I was told that my symptoms indicated a gum infection and after my dentist looked at my X-ray taken last year, he concluded that three bits of root left behind after an extraction some five or six years ago, had now become infected. This was confirmed some six weeks later when I was actually able to visit him in the dental surgery. He then referred me to the Dental Hub in our area and I have been waiting to hear from them ever since. The surgery needs to be done by a maxillofacial surgeon and cannot be done by an ordinary dentist. Normally I would have been referred to the Dental Department in the hospital but this was not possible as the hospital dept was closed. I have been taking antibiotics all the time since 22nd May. They are not working well any longer and I have been in bad pain and feeling under parr for a few weeks now, due to this ongoing infection.
Finally, after nagging and badgering and offering to go privately I was told a private dental practice would be in touch later this week. I phoned the clinic the next day. The lady I spoke to was shocked that this has gone for so long. I managed to arrange to have the procedure done privately tomorrow, otherwise it would have been a further wait of about two weeks.
Am I right in thinking that this situation is disgraceful? I have been in pain, unwell, on antibiotics for around twelve weeks. The Dental Hub have had my referral for a month, and if I had not been so persistent, I think I would not be having the surgery tomorrow.

maddyone Thu 11-Jun-20 14:53:55

Haha, I’ve got a dental appointment at my dentists. I’ve had two lots of antibiotics, but it keeps bothering me when I come off them. I’m waiting for a phone call to get some more antibiotics for over the weekend, but I’ve got an appointment for 10.30 on Monday morning. Whoopee. I hope everyone else is able to get to their dentists soon. I’m a happy bunny. Never in my life have I been so happy to go to the dentist. Whoopee. smilesmilesmilesmile

Fennel Sun 07-Jun-20 11:43:15

Thanks for the link MissAd. I'll try it.

kittylester Sat 06-Jun-20 10:49:08

And dont rinse after cleaning your teeth.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 09:40:23

I have dental repair kit which I bought from Boots and always take on holiday (those were the days) as a first aid standby. Some dentists also sell them.

Luckily haven't had to use it, but I've got plenty of crowns and fillings which could go at any time. I'm super careful with diet and dental care, as craftyone says. Another tip - brush teeth in mornings before breakfast.

Perhaps dentists can make money in the months after they have limited opening by selling such do it yourself items?

MayBee70 Fri 05-Jun-20 22:37:14

I’ve used interdental sticks ever since I flossed my teeth and pulled a filling out. Much safer.

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 19:53:40

Good idea Beechnut.
I'm just scared to take the risk as I might swallow it next time!
Then another £2k to pay. For vanity.
Shalom.

Beechnut Fri 05-Jun-20 17:50:28

But of course he could take the plate out and leave it to dry before cleaning and putting back in mouth.

Beechnut Fri 05-Jun-20 17:48:56

Fennel my DH used to have one of his front false tooth come off regularly. On a visit in the US it came off again and he stuck it back on with some of my SiL nail glue. (That’s what she said it was) No idea what it was exactly but the tooth never came off again.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 17:31:51

It gets great reviews on Amazon, too.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 17:30:47

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283895569332

Hooray!! This is the sort of thing, although you may want to browse a bit more.

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 17:25:47

Thanks for trying - never mind. it will appear soon.
I think Superglue might be poisonous grin.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 16:54:07

My dentist gave me the number of the lab, kitty, but no answer, and no message.

In fact, the dentists asked me to let them know if anyone answered.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 16:52:10

Oh pffft!!!!

Cancel it all.
I can't do the link, it seems. angry

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 16:49:01

Well, I did that link all wrong, I think. blush

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 16:47:56

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RM5MDDP/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_wHM2EbYT7JS6X?tag=gransnetforum-21
This is the number one rated repair kit, it's not the one I've ordered, but it works for crowns/caps, I think.

kittylester Fri 05-Jun-20 16:43:22

You might get a lab to mend a denture if it's a clean break. But, I wouldn't have impressions if they said it was necessary.

craftyone Fri 05-Jun-20 16:41:30

personally, I will be in the same boat as everyone else, luckily have been to the hygienist several times in the past few years and she has been so good at teaching me better dental care and it is full on now

No sweets for me at all, except a bit of very dark chocolate. No drinks except a coffee, a tea and mostly plain water. My own grown frozen berries only eaten with breakfast cereal. Fruits are the hardest for me to give up, so I am bunging a few of my remaining blackcurrants into my breakfast cereal with blueberries and raspberries. No fruit juices.

Not brushing teeth until at least an hour has lapsed since eating. Acid in foods can make enamel soft and brushing straight away scratches and wears enamel away. I use an electric brush and hold it against teeth while it is working, I don`t do brushing while the brush is working, just move it slowly and angle it down to the lower front gums and up to the upper gums

I have placed another order for interdental brushes like tepe

Hope this helps someone. I admit to being very worried about dental practices becoming bankrupt, even older established big practices

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 16:33:46

Yes, will do.

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 16:12:31

MissAd - can you give the link?
It might work for me, I've still got the crown.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 14:22:35

I have just ordered a couple of things online to try and fix the denture.

I'm not vain, but no way am I going out and about looking like old man Steptoe.

maddyone Fri 05-Jun-20 13:35:55

I received more antibiotics for my problem on Monday, and I’m free of pain now. The antibiotics will last till Monday. It is worrying that for myself and others that we still may not be able to access further treatment. I suppose if push comes to shove I’ll have to just get more antibiotics if it flares up again.
Dentistry was already struggling I think before Covid19, but now it’s going to struggle a lot more I feel. Incidentally I have no objection to paying for the dentist’s PPE during my appointment if it keeps her and myself safe.

craftyone Fri 05-Jun-20 13:31:49

max of 6 patients a day for a very highly qualified experienced dentist. I could cry for AC dentist who is one af the few who can do sedation and is good at treating nervous patients. She is extremely upset by all this, will be at the surgery this weekend, cleaning!

They just received a 60 page guidance document, a couple of days ago and no help whatsoever from the government. The practice may well have to close, I cannot see how they can keep hemorrhaging money.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 05-Jun-20 13:17:25

Had email from my dentist. They are opening on 8th for urgent treatment, and will then prioritise Denplan insured.?
They have had to install new air filtration system, and will see far fewer patients because intend leaving surgery empty for an hour after treatment, then deep cleaning.

They say no guidance at all received from government, and are have to access expensive PPE.

Patients are also advised that in addition to already expensive treatment they will have to pay for PPE used.

Fennel Fri 05-Jun-20 12:48:27

A front crown came off the day after lockdown so I'm definitely not an urgent case. But who knows. If I could get the right cement I could do it myself.
Maybe they'll invent some kind of robot to do the close-up work? I can see why dntists are so vulnerable - even surgeons can do a lot of their work via machine these days.