Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jobsworth at the post office.

(13 Posts)
polly123 Thu 21-May-20 17:33:18

I use my post office regularly so off I went this morning with my package for America and my filled in customs tax form all ready to go. I had no reason to think it wouldn't be a normal experience. I post often as I have a small business. I put my face mask on and queued outside which gave me a chance to read the many various Coronavirus warning notices on display. The post office manager was in charge today and informed me that my customs form was out of date before shoving a few in my direction to fill a fresh one in. No problem except I had forgotten my reading glasses and had no pen. (and no gloves) He then offered me his reading glasses. Yeah right. I then had to pick up a probably germ ridden pen dangling in front of me on a grubby thread. He was less than helpful and didn't think to offer to fill the short form in for me. Instead I had to ask him to read out the headings as I aimed the pen in the general direction of the indistinct words. What a useless excuse for a post office manager. I shall be taking my business elsewhere from now on if I can find another one open. Anyone else had a similar experience?

ninathenana Thu 21-May-20 17:48:26

I don't think many would have offered to fill your form.

wildswan16 Thu 21-May-20 17:51:23

I think we have to make allowances for each other just now. I imagine trying to run a Post Office in the present situation is extremely difficult. It wasn't his fault that your form was out of date, or that you didn't have glasses, or that you needed to use the pen. He helped where he was able to.

Maybe he could have been a bit more helpful and offer to fill it in on your behalf - but I expect you were just one more problem in his already problematical day.

heath480 Thu 21-May-20 17:51:54

I think you are being totally unreasonable.

Meanwhile there was a queue behind you that you were holding up!!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 21-May-20 17:53:52

No I think he could have been just a bit more helpful and quickly filled in the form for you.

Doodledog Thu 21-May-20 17:54:16

I took a parcel to my PO before lockdown. It was for someone I don't know particularly well, and I didn't know her postcode offhand. I wrote out the address, intended to look up the postcode, but was distracted when the phone rang, and forgot.

I didn't realise until I got to the PO, when the counter clerk asked if I knew it. I was about to stand out of the queue to look it up on my phone when I realised that she had looked it up for me and added it to the address.

In the circumstances, I don't think it was expecting too much for the manager to fill in the form for you, if it was a short one. Did you ask him to?

annep1 Thu 21-May-20 18:07:44

I think I would grump too if that happened. How annoying for you. It wouldn't have taken long to fill in. I wonder did he maybe not think of offering....

annep1 Thu 21-May-20 18:08:47

Sorry I see he didn't Maybe you should have asked.

polly123 Fri 22-May-20 10:25:04

Thanks for your helpful comments. There was no queue to hold up at the time. Yes, perhaps I should have asked directly but it would have been obvious that I was worried about touching the pen and struggling without reading glasses. I know that some of the more helpful people in the post office would have just filled it in quickly but unfortunately he served me on that day. He did not respond as most helpful people would.

annep1 Fri 22-May-20 11:31:55

No queue so nothing to stop him. Idiot.

MawB Fri 22-May-20 11:34:48

The key phrase is in your penultimate sentence if I can find another one open
Good luck with that!

EllanVannin Fri 22-May-20 11:53:54

I just wish my local PO was open !

MawB Fri 22-May-20 12:04:09

Exactly EV !