Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

My sister is not allowed to leave home unaccompanied by her smart phone.

(14 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 22-May-20 18:24:07

She lives in Doha and today the powers that be have ruled that all residents have to have their phones with them on which they will have downloaded an app that records all of their movements.
She won’t be able to leave the house today because her husband has to work and he is taking the phone!
No worrying about privacy and human rights over there!

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 18:38:29

Does everyone have a phone then?

BlueSky Fri 22-May-20 18:55:10

I never leave the house without my iPhone!

MawB Fri 22-May-20 18:58:49

Sounds as if if each persons movements need to be monitored they will need two phones.
Assuming this is part of tracking and tracing or whatever we calling it here?
If it works.........

MissAdventure Fri 22-May-20 19:00:18

This was being discussed on morning TV a few days back.

It's how the track and trace apps work, through Bluetooth, from the little I heard.

MerylStreep Fri 22-May-20 19:04:29

Pamelaj
What does your sister do when the husband goes to work and she goes out.

BlueSky Not only leaving the house but the bathroom as well after getting locked in there once.

Urmstongran Fri 22-May-20 19:04:49

I don’t own a smartphone. Just a SIM only contract in a cheap Nokia. That’s me grounded then.

BlueSky Fri 22-May-20 19:08:42

Meryl grin

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 19:46:55

I've never heard of anyone sharing a mobile phone.

Is my new one a smart phone? I think it's smarter than me.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-May-20 20:30:51

Meryl this only started today so there hasn’t been a problem up until now.
She also had/has a job but as it involves tutoring children in English and maths she is unable to do it at the moment.

Until her DH can get another phone, difficult over there, she can’t go out at all whilst he is working. I don’t know why he hasn’t got a phone ??‍♀️
Not that there is anything to do anyway except shopping.

Just makes me smile, here we are in a democracy arguing about our rights and freedoms, so different from undemocratic regimes.

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-May-20 20:31:51

I mean shopping at a supermarket not at a phone shop!

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 21:55:24

Perhaps people are taking their rights and freedom too much for granted here; perhaps we will see which is the best way to cope with this crisis in a few weeks.

Bibbity Fri 22-May-20 22:09:43

The problem is with people from here but a lot more so from USA is that everyone is very quick to screech about their rights but takes absolutely no notice of their responsibilities.

I read a report from a South Korea National about what they had had implemented. It was worse than what your sister has said.

And yet they are now Covid Free.
And we have special morons at the beach.

Hithere Sat 23-May-20 06:08:39

Agree with bibitty.