Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So angry about this witch hunt

(524 Posts)
silversurf Mon 25-May-20 17:24:12

Watching Dominic Cummings being grilled on tv by journalists Asking the same questions over and over. It is obvious from the guidelines which he read out that he was not breaking them.
His family and especially his child must come first. He did what he thought was best.
Leave the poor man alone.

Eloethan Sun 31-May-20 16:34:27

The Conservative government has a large majority and, in any event, what are these "discontented" Conservative MPs going to do to force Cummings to resign? Have a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they are principled enough to do such a thing. I dare say some of them are making a lot of noise because they are aware their constituents are very annoyed about this incident.

I hope the sheer disdain for the general public that Johnson and some of his colleagues have shown will be remembered at the next election - but voters' memories are, sadly, very short.

varian Fri 29-May-20 13:51:15

Deep discontent among Tory MPs has grown over the course of the week, however, in response to public anger. Ninety-nine have either called for Cummings to be sacked, demanded an apology or otherwise criticised his conduct.

The figures suggest nearing half of the party’s backbenchers are unhappy with Cummings’ actions, while the vast majority of the “payroll vote” – government ministers, whips, parliamentary private secretaries and those in party positions – are supportive of Johnson’s position or silent on it.

Tory MPs to break their silence most recently include Karen Bradley, a former culture secretary under Theresa May, who said she was not convinced by his explanation.

“I can well understand that any parent wants to protect their child, and have enormous sympathy with acting to do that. But so much of the account goes beyond that simple human instinct and suggests that there were breaches of the rules to avoid some of the hardships that many have endured,” she said.

“Mr Cummings is, in my view, causing significant damage to the work that the government are doing to get us through the pandemic. I hope that he will recognise this and consider his position.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/28/boris-johnson-brushes-off-tory-revolt-over-dominic-cummings

janipat Fri 29-May-20 00:24:25

Err; I was being sarcastic

Thank goodness! I was seriously worried you'd gone over to the dark side.........

MayBee70 Thu 28-May-20 23:48:41

He really does talk complete gobbledegook doesn't he....grin...

Jishere Thu 28-May-20 23:44:17

?? glad you pointed that out, I took it for it said!duh that will teach me!

MayBee70 Thu 28-May-20 23:39:15

Err; I was being sarcastic....blush….

Jishere Thu 28-May-20 23:06:42

Oh dear, I just read, 'just imagine how high the death rate would be if it wasn't for BJ and DC'
There was alot lot more they could have done, should have done in the very begining but no we have the highest death rate in Europe.
When he rambles on he doesn't make sense, it's a shambles.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 22:55:42

Just read your link ,will look up statistics tomorrow, there are quiet a few , you would think the statistics would/ should be very clear, sadly they are not.

MaizieD Thu 28-May-20 22:39:36

Gosh, this made me laugh, Bridgeit (sorry)

we would be daft not to recognise that he has the knowledge & input required at this moment in time .

As far as I can see, his 'knowledge and input' has facilitated the second highest death rate in the world. I think we might have been rather better off without him.

www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

Esspee Thu 28-May-20 22:36:12

I don’t consider it a witch hunt. Everybody I have spoken with says that in the Cummings situation they would have followed the rules, not left London when they suspected at least one of them had the virus, certainly not have forced their child into a confined space with possible Covid+ parents, a sure way to pass it on. That the child had to be taken to hospital in Durham thereby exposing others to possible infection - (protect the NHS - hah!) proves how unwise the trip was. Then you need to factor in that believing his wife was infected he went back to no 10, then he chose to drive a very long way without a break (unbelievable for a 4 year old) taking the infection to another part of the country. On his wife’s birthday he again broke the rules by going for a long drive to a tourist spot. His explanation that his sight was affected made it even more essential that he didn’t break the law and risk his wife, child, and other road user’s lives.
The more you think about his story the worse it gets.
He should resign.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 21:41:00

That's true, but I simply don't see that cummings was in that position.
Nothing hard about feeling a bit weird, suspecting it may be the virus, and isolating.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 21:34:45

I have been asking myself what would I do if I had a young child & a poorly partner & a job which involved concentration & decision making , my answer to myself was the least worst option, & if I had the opportunity to divert to an isolated property via a beauty spot & be guaranteed help with child care which would allow me to concentrate on the decision making I guess that’s what I would do.
Sometimes in life the choices are not between best & better , but are between a rock or a hard place.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 21:19:04

I'm glad to hear that, Iam64.

I think it's what I find the hardest about it; the thought that people will happily throw others under the proverbial bus.

Iam64 Thu 28-May-20 21:14:51

Miss Adventure - I'm not in the "let's move on" group at all. Morals, ethics - I know, Mr J and Mr C don't do either of those things. Call me old fashioned but I believe we should all do our best to follow the guidance in this pandemic situation. That includes the Prime Ministers special advisor and yes the Prime Minister

paddyanne Thu 28-May-20 21:08:16

no way he should get away with it there was a woman stopped ,sent home an dfined for being 8 miles away from home here at the weekend,3 who had to be resued after getting "lost" on the hills 40 miles from their home meaning police ambulance and helicopter out looking for them..they've been charged and a helicopter out for hours on Saturday looking for people missing from ...a boat apparently it just"drifed off as it hadn't been moored properly" ...all eegits all covid free ..so how much worse was DC's offences ,how much damage might he have done on his wee jolly

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 21:02:02

I think he should be given a huge fine, and community service. smile

Then I might let him off.

I know this is going to be swept nearly under the carpet, but it's really important for me to not go along with something morally wrong.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 20:17:03

I think taking in all the circumstances of this situation & if it is a one off then it can be understood & accepted even if not very palatable.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 20:07:50

Maybe.
I don't know what to think, so mission accomplished for Bozza and co.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 20:04:47

Maybe they would be classified in or as a different category.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 20:02:50

I think you left the 'S' off misdemeanour.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 19:56:31

Well sadly long before his ‘ misdemeanour’ Joe Public arrived in many parts of the country , not even bothering to stay holed up in their second ( extra) homes but out sight seeing, swimming, sunbathing , And I might add emptying our shops of many essentials, not a Toilet Roll to be had in any of the supermarkets for a day or two!

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 19:52:14

Or maybe they'll realise that it's not worth opposing him because he is golden boy?

MayBee70 Thu 28-May-20 19:49:36

I know; just imagine how high the death rate would be if it hadn't been for Cummings and Johnson. Doesn't bear thinking about.

NfkDumpling Thu 28-May-20 19:48:06

He will probably get away with it, but how much credence will his advice be given in the future I wonder. Anyone in a meeting with him will be avoiding him and ignoring him as much as they can if they have any sense. Hopefully.

Bridgeit Thu 28-May-20 19:42:52

He may indeed have made a muppet of himself , but we need or should I say we would be daft not to recognise that he has the knowledge & input required at this moment in time .