Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

From 15th June....

(69 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 25-May-20 20:21:20

We can go shopping! Not really missed it to be honest and I don't really think that I will be queuing up waiting for them to open. Assuming the virus is controlled of course.

Caro57 Tue 26-May-20 11:08:51

As and when let’s hope there is sufficient support for local shops to save, at least, some of them

BusterTank Tue 26-May-20 11:09:05

I won't been going either but there will be plenty of idiots who will . Like those who all packed on to the beaches with no social distancing . There will be no thoughts for others or there health all to just to get a bargain . I don't think this will end well .

JaneRn Tue 26-May-20 11:09:15

Since the lockdown I have lost all interest in shopping in department stores, including dear old M&S. I might take the odd trip to our local outlet village, local food shops and Farmers' Market, but shall continue to rely on on-line for groceries and anything else, large or small.
There are still mixed opinions on the efficacy of face masks but I find the prospect of walking through town surrounded by lot of unrecognisable people looking more like aliens than humans decidedly creepy.

jerseygirl Tue 26-May-20 11:27:03

I will still be shopping online. I dont feel confident going into town yet. I'm still worried about social distancing. I dont fancy queuing either.

Houndi Tue 26-May-20 11:27:24

This lockdown has taught me we buy so much stuff we don't need that ends in landfill.i do buy from charity shops and re user but i am still gulity of consumerism.How household now has ablanket ban on any Chinese goods i will not support their economy

nipsmum Tue 26-May-20 11:51:58

I'm not really caring about shopping, how long are we going to have to continue with social distancing, it feels like it going to be for the rest of our lives.

pce612 Tue 26-May-20 12:15:10

Not in Scotland, all we have to look forward to are garden centres opening from Thursday.

Jane10 Tue 26-May-20 12:19:43

I was shopping today and was very surprised at how busy the shop was. The car park was much fuller too. Obviously people going to the Homebase store as well as other smaller shops. Don't know if that's a Cummings effect, better weather or just people fed up with lockdown. Some masks in use but definitely in a minority.

Jane10 Tue 26-May-20 12:20:04

PS I'm in Scotland!

Tiggersuki Tue 26-May-20 12:37:23

I'm with Wendyann 23. When can I see my son and grandson who live in Hertfordshire. I live in Devon and we have seen the awful side of the new rule for daytrips that blocked roads and had people illegally camping and even breaking into campsites to stay overnight.
I am very worried about shops opening as I cannot see how social distancing will work. I do think they need the business but truly I would rather see physiotherapists, dentists and even hairdressers open first as many of them could wear PPE and we could wear masks to help.

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:44:34

I don't know why not dentists yet (with safe measures) as a lot of them have NHS patients and the hospitals are starting up the 'normal' appts/procedures now. So you'd think would be in same category.hmm

harrigran Tue 26-May-20 12:48:15

I can't remember the last time I was in a shop other than for groceries, I am in no rush to recommence shopping.

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:48:55

Im sorry,i dont understand the Scottish rules?you can only go to garden centres, from thursday,but you're jumping a step from 'staying locked down to 'seeing other whole households' in a 'family bubble'? Makes no sense.hmm

BlueSky Tue 26-May-20 12:50:58

Can't see patients' masks working in the dentist! grin

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:51:33

All the big long queues to even get in is going to put me off,as i can't stand for a long time due to osteoarthritis- just to put myself at risk anyway- its not worth it!

Marieeliz Tue 26-May-20 12:51:59

Dollydinkum, dog groomers in my area have very open since a week last Monday. The local aui gave them permission.

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:53:48

Of course not Bluesky- last time i went just before lockdown the dentist had a face visor. & nurse a surgical mask.

Marieeliz Tue 26-May-20 12:53:55

Jane10 Nothing go do with Dominic Cummings. It has bet going on for two at more traffic builders etc all back at work.

Marieeliz Tue 26-May-20 12:54:28

Two or more weeks.

Joesoap Tue 26-May-20 12:54:40

Some of these new rules seem up in the air to me.Distancing must be honoured by everyone and I think face masks will be very important, if anyone knows where to buy them.Why arent hairdressers being allowed to open surely they are the most essential of all places,I wonder when Boris hairdresser will open?

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:56:21

So its ok for dog groomers, but not for barbers or hairdressers whom we most of us really need right now??government are going crackers!! Covid 19 did definitely turn Boris's brain to mush.

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:58:13

Joesoap- when they do open i doubt Boris will bother- he always normally looks like its just hacked off & mussed up!grin

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 13:00:29

Us neither Houndi

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 13:02:22

I feel markets should be abolished, too open, too much risk.hmm

Jane10 Tue 26-May-20 13:05:55

Mareeliz I've been shopping each week throughout the lockdown. The difference in sheer number of people out shopping is extremely noticeable compared to last week. Something has made people feel more able to go shopping...