Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

No longer shielded

(101 Posts)
growstuff Wed 27-May-20 20:17:40

A number of people who were previously "shielded" in England have now received texts saying that they are no longer shielded. They will no longer receive a food box, although apparently they will have priority delivery slots.

Apparently, doctors weren't advised that this was happening and haven't been asked whether there are some people who have been inappropriately shielded.

Has anybody been affected by this?

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 10:19:51

I think I will do the same as you, Iam64 and use my judgement now, as I haven't had a second letter extending the time.
As lockdown in Wales will ease on Monday I will follow the general rules.

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 29-May-20 10:19:32

I wonder whether they are "releasing" people in stages in order to test the water! So many people have not left their house, in view of the guidelines in the letter and must be desperate as so far the govt have told us - no change!

I think something needs to be done soon for the shielded sector - at the very least let people take exercise outside.
Boris needs a good talking to! - any volunteers lol.

NfkDumpling Fri 29-May-20 10:05:04

Its an impossible situation for people who’re shielding and working as tubes and public transport are places to be avoided at all costs. Ok if you have a sympathetic employer but quite a few don’t seem to have.

We’ve stopped ‘hard’ shielding and are following a similar route to Iam.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 10:02:50

My opinion is that relaxing lockdown restrictions at the same time as some pupils will return to school, especially as the track and test system isn't yet working effectively, is downright stupid.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 10:00:41

win As far as I can work out, it seems that some people have been told that they no longer need to shield. Obviously those who do need to continue, should carry on shielding.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 09:57:21

It's not so easy for people who still have to work for a living Rosalyn.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 09:56:15

Of the three people on Facebook who have mentioned that they are no longer "shielded", two aren't really that bothered because they will carry on shielding themselves - full shielding ie not even going out for a walk.

The third person is extremely worried because she still works in quite a high-powered job. She has been working from home, although her employers have indicated that they would prefer/expect people to return to physical working. Her "shielding letter" has meant that she has been able to continue working at home with video conferencing, etc. She is now very apprehensive about a long commute into London and on the tube and the actual physical environment of her office. She doesn't know what to do. The infection rate in the area is still quite high and shows no sign of going down, so even the wait for a train could be dangerous. The trains themselves have always been overcrowded and physical distancing will be impossible.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 09:44:23

While appreciating the difficulties I do think a lot of what to do when is governed by our own “common sense”. Most of us surely are able to decide for ourselves if it is safe for us personally to go out or mix with the great unwashed.
I have made the decision that for the time being I’m staying home apart from essential trips. I don’t need nannying.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 08:20:08

win - I can't see how any of us in the shielding/high risk category can do anything other than continue being very careful indeed. I walk my dogs and keep the distance, I will see close friends or family up to 4 of us in the garden. I will not go into supermarkets and if I go to the garden centre, will try to avoid busy times and I will wear a mask.
All of this is easily manageable for me. The hard part is not being with my family, not looking after my grandchildren, not having them here for sleep overs. That's likely to be a very long time, especially as the children are now seeing their friends in small groups, and will be returning to school or nursery.

GreenGran78 Thu 28-May-20 22:33:07

magsmay55 I was surprised to have a phone call asking if I wanted to book my annual boiler service. Apparently they weren’t getting enough emergency calls to keep their men occupied.
I just kept at a safe distance while he did the job, then wiped down whatever he had been in contact with. Very little difference from his usual routine really, and definitely nothing to worry about.

win Thu 28-May-20 22:18:36

It was confirmed on the BBC 1 news this evening that people who are shielding should carry on shielding regardless of any new measures released today.

shirleyhick Thu 28-May-20 21:52:07

I have had my 12 month boiler inspection and because I am on the shielded list I had to sit in the living room as he did not have to come in there, he wore masks and gloves and I did not have to sign the form to say he had done it. When he left I wiped down the door handles.

janipat Thu 28-May-20 21:47:09

The thing I don't understand is all the different dates for shielding. It's not like the virus is going to think oh you've done your 12 weeks I can't infect you. Surely the risk remains the same for everyone shielding, although I could accept there might be very slight regional variations. Why would I be OK on June 30th but someone else has to go until mid August? Like so much of the information we get, it seems to be lacking in logic and scientific backup. I'll still be vigilant after 30th June but would hope to be having safe interaction with others in open air spaces. I won't be going anywhere with crowds until they come up with a vaccine.

RosemaryAnne Thu 28-May-20 19:43:02

I've had my annual boiler service. Engineer wore a mask and I just kept my distance. No problem at all.

langelei Thu 28-May-20 17:08:42

Thank you, growstuff, really appreciate comments as yours. Keeps us going! Stay healthy and we'll all come out at the other end eventually. flowers smile

NanaHev Thu 28-May-20 16:24:20

It makes me very cynical as I am thinking that what the government wants is MORE deaths. Are they cutting down on the number of pensions they need to pay out? Thing is they cannot force anyone to go out and catch this virus so maybe that is why they are stopping the help so that people are forced to go out. I blame Cummings as it was he who was going for herd immunity and it looks as though he still is. Dead pensioners are an economic positive. I have made sure that most of the money from my house is going to an American charity which will be an economic negative for this country.

growstuff Thu 28-May-20 16:06:35

That sort of thing makes me so cross Cas70. I hope you and your husband are OK.

Cas70 Thu 28-May-20 16:02:37

I have Lupus and Sjogren’s . I am sole carer to a husband with advanced COPD. No letter, just a GP text saying do not visit the surgery. Then after 2 months a flurry from the local Council. Phone calls and even a visit to the door. It was all for box ticking - as nothing since. I requested priority internet access to a supermarket. Nothing. I signed up twice on the Govt. website. So someone with a compromised Immune System isn’t qualified for that simple assistance. I didn’t want the offered food box (didn’t arrive anyway) I just needed to get food delivery and not rely on friends who were still working or as vulnerable as me !!

growstuff Thu 28-May-20 15:24:02

langelei I hope you are both still getting through this. My sympathies all along have been with people in your situation rather than those complaining about being "imprisoned" or not being allowed to drive to go for a walk, etc.

It really makes me sad that those who needed a little help haven't received it.

Keep safe and keep up the laughter!

CarrieAnn Thu 28-May-20 14:40:58

I have had an emergency plumber,toilet wouldn't stop filling,he arrived went into bathroom, assessed the situation,went off,ordered the parts,came back in about an hour,fixed the problem and went.All I had to do was stand in the hall,tell him the problem and have a cup of tea.Social distancing complied with

Riggie Thu 28-May-20 13:59:27

Varian it's the same with DS. He got the letter on May 15 so his 12 weeks go into August, luckily he has us to help because I suspect the official help services will be winding down by then!!

grannydarkhair Thu 28-May-20 13:41:52

vickymeldrew
I agree it's difficult, perhaps even pointless, to compare countries and their Covid19 crisis statistics. However, a recent article in the Guardian was about how the Indian state of Kerala had responded to the Covid 19 crisis by following the WHO protocol of test, trace, isolate and support. Kerala, population of 35 million, GDP of £2,200 has had 4 deaths. U.K, population of 66/67 million, GDP of £33,100 has had 37,000+ deaths. Little wonder so many have so little faith in how the crisis is and has been dealt with in this country?

langelei Thu 28-May-20 13:34:42

I think the whole situation has been a minefield for everyone. Mr. L, a 74 year-old suffering from severe heart failure and recent pneumonia has never received a shielding governmental letter, regardless of my approaching our GP's surgery for advice on this. For this reason NO supermarket has accepted us for a delivery slot. My concern, at 73, in protecting my husband has certainly not helped us in our small, gardenless apartment, although we do try to make everyday a happy [smiley] day with laughter where we can. Everyday is a bonus for us. grin. I feel incredibly sad and so sorry for all those who have suffered sad but my supreme thanks go to all the NHS staff who have battled through. flowers

Bluecat Thu 28-May-20 13:27:15

Vickymeldrew, we now have the most daily deaths per million of any country in the world. I don't think we need any other comparisons. We know how bad it is.

NfkDumpling Thu 28-May-20 13:19:58

DH takes a low dose of aziothioprine which is an imunosuppresant (excuse the spellings) and that Letter was decidedly scary! We followed its orders for the first 8 weeks. By which time the house had been spring cleaned, affairs put in order, spare room full of charity shop stuff, garden manicured and we were going stir crazy.

We’re fortunate to live in a town of around 7,000 souls where a very low instance of infection. So, we’re now going out - but avoiding people. We’ve seen the family and chatted - in the garden at a distance. DGS aged six has perfect understanding of whats happening and keeps his distance.

I don’t think the track and trace will have much effect on us as we’re not going near anyone for long enough or close enough for it to register.