Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Shielded to be allowed out!

(107 Posts)
Mamissimo Sat 30-May-20 22:22:17

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_custom3=%40BBCNews&%2338;at_medium=custom7&%2338;at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&%2338;at_campaign=64&%2338;at_custom4=80575A62-A2B9-11EA-8783-BBE74744363C&%2338;at_custom2=twitter

The announcement will be tomorrow. How will you use your daily opportunity?

growstuff Sun 31-May-20 19:03:10

chatterbox And everybody has the right to call people by the name they think most appropriate. Most politicians and public figures are called by their surname and I shall continue to do so.

In what way do you think the government has done a good job of managing coronavirus?

Bluecat Sun 31-May-20 18:40:08

Chatterbox2... Would anyone else have done better?

Well, given that we now have the highest death rate in world (according to the Financial Times, who aren't known for making wild claims), the answer is clearly "Yes." Other people can and have done much, much better.

NfkDumpling Sun 31-May-20 18:12:09

DH got his shielding letter in the first tranche so his release date twelve weeks later is the 13 June. We’ve both shielded to make life easier. Subsequent letters haven’t been changed. As a previous poster says her DH has only just received his and it still says twelve weeks. Civil service inefficiency.

A couple of weeks ago when car journeys were allowed for the masses, we decided that, since the infection rate in our area is very low, we’d go out carefully. We drove to where we keep our little boat, chugged up the river. Onto the broad. Had a picnic and sat in the sun watching kingfishers and heron and chugged back. We didn’t see a soul. It was wonderful.

Since then we’ve been out more. Driven to somewhere quiet and gone for a walk. Seen our DC and DGC - at a distance and chatted. But we haven’t been into a shop or anywhere where there’s more than half a dozen people - although we did have to walk in the middle of the road to get around a queue (the half a dozen people) waiting at the chemist near us.

I think its a case of using your common sense according to your own situation. We know to be really careful, but staying inside in confinement against the benefits, both physically and mentally, of a walk in the sun and maybe passing the time of day with another human being - albeit at a distance - has to be considered. It’s nice to know that we now can do this without losing all the other benefits of home deliveries, etc.

MayBee70 Sun 31-May-20 17:54:06

My neighbour now has three extra families at their house.....

NoddingGanGan Sun 31-May-20 17:53:40

I'm shielding but still have a job so furloughed. I will be informed by my employer when they require me back.
I will, however, be glad to take a daily walk as I've found it very hard not to put on weight cooped up at home. Despite my best efforts with diet I have put on 1.5 kilos in the 7 weeks I've been at home and so I relish the thought I of proper daily exercise.
I am, though, very fortunate to live in a quiet village and will take my exercise in the very early morning before many are up and about. Not so sure I'd be venturing out if I lived in a busy city.

chatterbox2 Sun 31-May-20 17:25:33

Growstuff we all have our own views on government but they've done a good job so far,would anyone else have done better! Also everyone is entitled to be called by their Christian name.

4allweknow Sun 31-May-20 16:20:42

Yes, mentioned elsewhere the announcement makes those who have been shielding sound like convicts being released for good behaviour. Being "Allowed out", unbelievable!

westendgirl Sun 31-May-20 15:28:11

Why the sudden change of heart?
There was no mention of this when the easing of the lockdown was first talked about . In fact I seem to remember someone asking the question abiut when would this be eased for the sheltered and Johnson had no answer for it. This piecemeal approach leads to confusion , but that's the way it's been all along ....last minute decisions . obviously there's no clear plan .

FarNorth Sun 31-May-20 15:07:21

Thanks MayBee70.

MayBee70 Sun 31-May-20 14:26:04

It's covered in his latest blog by the way.

MayBee70 Sun 31-May-20 14:25:05

Any studies on how many people are actually asymptomatic don't seem to be being shared with other studies. But, comparing lots of different studies Dr John Campbell thinks that many, many people are asymptomatic. I was going to put a percentage but then realised I couldn't remember if it was a percentage of the population as a whole or just those that have developed symptoms [need to watch it again].

Minerva Sun 31-May-20 14:07:05

On the subject of what to call our self serving PM, it isn’t Boris or Alexander or Johnson in our household. Quite a few other names in fact.

BlueSky Sun 31-May-20 14:03:12

There is only one (Alexander) Boris!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 31-May-20 13:59:48

GMa29,yes you would think an option would be to furlough me. They have mentioned it,initially implying I would have to be shielded,which of course you dont. Whether their actions are down to incompetence or they are just hoping I will either breeze into work or resign I dont know. A lot of the private sector are not known for putting the rights and wellbeing for staff before profit. At the back of my mind is also a seed of thought that to admit it's not safe for me to work there could potentially bad for business!

Aepgirl Sun 31-May-20 13:11:51

I agree wholeheartedly, paddieanne. If you have been told to self-isolate because you are vulnerable, then that is what you should do. My son-in-law will not be going out until his heart consultant says he can - and neither will my daughter in order to protect her husband. It’s just common sense.

FarNorth Sun 31-May-20 13:02:00

nannypiano, yes I too am quite concerned about symptomless carriers of covid.

Might I even be one of them, despite staying at home for 99% of the time - might I have picked it up on a shopping trip, perhaps?

If someone is a symptomless carrier, how long are they infectious?
Are they then immune and no longer able to be carriers?
And do people who have been ill become immune, or might they also become symptomless carriers?

There needs to be a lot more research and testing before any confident statements about safety can be made.

(And whatever confident statements are made by Johnson, Hancock, Gove etc etc, I'll treat with scepticism.)

Caro57 Sun 31-May-20 12:05:09

Friend of mine is shielding after NHS letter advising her and has been told the date to cease will probably be extended

grandtanteJE65 Sun 31-May-20 11:50:21

Well, surely the shielded are adults and can make up their own minds as to what is the right thing to do?

The politicians are as usual talking through the seat of their pants.

RomyP Sun 31-May-20 11:45:22

I've been shielding but as have neurological condition was not sent letter, it was left to our discretion. I stayed indoors for 11 weeks, I started my lockdown early as was too concerned to not do so. I've sat in garden for couple of hours in past 4 days, it's exhausting just doing that. I'm happy to have my 2 adult children and families visit but distancing will be observed, 2 children in one family, 1 in the other. I shan't be going to visit anyone for a long time yet, I only feel safe at home or in our garden where we have some control over things. The not hugging is really difficult but if it helps keep up healthy I'll stick to it. Just have to hope we all get through this.

I do feel shielders, esp those not sent letter, have been forgotten, if it wasn't for my neighbours getting my shopping I'd have had to ask children who live several miles away to do it, they had enough to cope with as it was so I'm glad I didn't have to resort to that.

Gma29 Sun 31-May-20 11:40:36

Dorsetcupcake61 can your employer not furlough you?

Happysexagenarian Sun 31-May-20 11:33:39

I totally agree with you Cabbie21.
DH and I are shielding, we started our lockdown February 12th. I haven't been beyond our garden since then. All our shopping and medications are delivered. DH walks our dog every few days, sometimes taking refuge in hedgerows and cornfields to avoid other people - plays havoc with his hayfever! But we will do anything to protect each other, as we have done for over 40 years. We live near the coast and over the past 2 weeks have seen a huge increase in walkers/hikers/cyclists/bikers etc, and holiday properties in use again. Visitors to the area seem to think that because they're surrounded by open countryside social distancing doesn't apply. I think (hope) our AC and GC understand why we won't let them visit us, they would have to make a 100 mile journey and a busy ferry crossing to get here which could put them at extra risk as well. Covid fatalities are still rising in our area and I fear it could get worse through the summer, so we won't be coming out of our lockdown until we feel it's safe to do so.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 31-May-20 11:33:15

This decision is made to appease the public in the wake of the Dominic Cummings debacle - no other reason - popularity polls show BJ falling and Keir Starmer rising so against the advice of scientists the shielded are being let out at a time when we are still in a dangerous phase according to the Deputy Chief Medical Officer _ here we have a classic example of a political decision to divert attention away from No 10’s duplicity and not one based on the science and it brings into sharp relief how little BJ Cares for the vulnerable.

This this this!

Trying to take focus away from Cummings debacle. Write to your MPs in protest please!

And if you’re being correct Pippa his name isn’t actually Boris it’s Alexander. Would you have referred to David Cameron in a similar post as Dave or would you have said Cameron?

Jenken Sun 31-May-20 11:24:27

My message was for paddyanne, I haven’t got the hang of this yet?

Jenken Sun 31-May-20 11:23:04

Well said

Almaz65 Sun 31-May-20 11:20:52

I'm pleased about this, I can enjoy walking my dog, but I think I'll avoid busy beaches and shops. Hope I can keep my delivery slot though. It's been a lonely experience.