Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Tested

(22 Posts)
Megs36 Sun 31-May-20 11:04:04

My husband was in hospital mid March, very scary, even DNR was mentioned, doctor said resuscitations were very ‘Brutal’ when I objected, In the event he had pneumonia, still recovering a bit, but interestingly on his discharge form it stated Corona test negative. TG, Has any thing changed since then re tests?.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:54:59

Well Urms it’s funny you should ask. In the original pack it stated that DH would have 3 tests.

1 to see if he had CV
2 to see if he had previously had CV
3 to see if he was immune

The result he got back was “negative” but not 100% reliable.

No mention of previously having it or being immune .

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 10:52:04

Totally with you there Maw PHE is a disgrace.

MawB Sun 31-May-20 10:47:32

Gillybob was it the antibody test? I understood that had been withdrawn because it was unreliable.
The current nose and throat swabs are to say if we are infected now and health and care staff should be tested every week as of course clear this week doesn’t man clear next!
That is the problem with asymptomatic infection - you could be spreading it before you realise you have it which is presumably why the virus has torn through the care homes and is again creating hotspots in hospitals (Weston in Somerset for instance which had to be closed because over 40 staff tested positive)
This is why the failure of testing both among professionals and in the community has been such a failure by PHE.
Frankly scandalous.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:39:41

My DH’s results came back on Friday as a negative .

We were surprised as I was sure he had it at the end of last year. The result said that no test is 100% so I still have my suspicions .

EllanVannin Sun 31-May-20 10:37:14

Blimey, I'd bawk at a stick going down my throat. Years ago when I had a fine tube up the nose and down to the throat to take a photograph of the thyroid I heaved so badly my eyes watered. The consultant told me off !

GagaJo Sun 31-May-20 09:39:43

I agree Maw. I ‘swabbed’ vigorously a few times to avoid a false negative. The throat swab made me dry heave so hopefully I was thorough.

MawB Sun 31-May-20 09:31:47

I’m just guessing ,but maybe whether or not it is “unpleasant” might depend on the person administering the test - just as smear tests and mammograms can differ?
I would hope nobody would be put off any of the above by what people say!

CaroL10 Sun 31-May-20 09:29:02

SuzannahM , if your OH did the throat and nose swab test, then I think I’m right in saying he did the antigen test. This is the test to see if you have the virus now and can pass it on to others. The antibody test is usually a blood test and this is the one that will tell you if you had the disease in the past, have developed antibodies to it and so have some degree of immunity. I think a lot of us are wondering if we had the virus earlier this year but only an antibody test will tell us. Unfortunately, some government body has now prevented Superdrug from selling the over the counter antibody test after previously endorsing it.

V3ra Sun 31-May-20 09:27:37

My son had a self-administered drive through test.
He described it as "most unpleasant."
The results came through by email the next day.

SuzannahM Sun 31-May-20 09:19:17

My OH was tested as part of the NHS survey through the post. He got his results back to days later by text - negative.

We did think before he got his result that we might have had the virus earlier in the year, when we were both quite ill with flu. But it seems not.

Franbern Sun 31-May-20 09:18:33

My shielded son-in-law had a home test sent to him eight days ago, did it immediately - it was collected. Still no result received.

Calendargirl Sun 31-May-20 09:08:12

Glad it went well Gagajo as I’m sure you would have been quick to tell us if you experienced problems with the system.
But all sounded very efficient.

Scentia Sun 31-May-20 07:04:44

Blinko
Yes same stick, throat first, then nose.

cornergran Sun 31-May-20 06:47:52

Mine, part of the research project, was carried out through the car window by a very kind and pleasant young woman. Not sure I’d like to do it myself. I’d say uncomfortable rather than painful, the nose one tickled. Results arrived by text in less than 48 hours. A friend had one last Thursday lunch time and received the negative result Friday afternoon. Very relieved.

BlueBelle Sun 31-May-20 06:36:07

I have two friends still waiting for results weeks later
Lost I expect

Blinko Sun 31-May-20 06:34:31

Is it the same stick for both nose and throat? Surely not?

Scentia Sun 31-May-20 01:19:01

Like a cotton bud that snaps off into a small vial.

Sussexborn Sun 31-May-20 00:45:53

Is it literally a stick or a cotton bud type swab?

Scentia Sun 31-May-20 00:35:50

Yes I have been tested due to my job. I went on a Saturday morning at 10.40 and had my negative result by 2.00pm on Sunday It is horrible to poke that stick down your throat and up your nose though. ?

annep1 Sat 30-May-20 23:49:00

That was quick. My son and DiL had to wait 5 days for results.

GagaJo Sat 30-May-20 23:20:20

I developed a cough last week, and was a bit headachy, so more out of interest than intention, I checked online, and lo and behold, was offered a C19 test.

The location was in a car park nearish to me. After all the drama of the bollards and individual tents/workers in masks and gloves, it was a DIY test, which I dropped into a tub as I left.

Negative result came through in 24 hours.

Anyone else been tested?