Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hancock’s Half Hour

(27 Posts)
MawB Wed 03-Jun-20 08:49:10

I am sure many of you will have noticed the strong resemblance with Oberleutnant Gruber from Allo, ‘Allo!
Bear it in mind the next time you watch “poor” Matt Hancock squirming or trying to present his stats on the 5 o clock government briefing. (Aka Hancock’s Half Hour)
On which subject I wonder why he doesn’t get Marydoll to help him out?

mary51 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:03:23

I thought this was about Tony Hancock and there was a very funny film on last night, The Rebel as mentioned above,
which I managed to watch all the way through!

Matt Hancock is dealing with very difficult situation at the moment.

ladymuck Fri 05-Jun-20 11:50:27

It all depends who he is speaking to. When interviewed by Kay Burley on Sky news, he was all smiles and jokes. Other journalists seem determined to make him look an incompetent fool, which immediately puts him on the defensive.
These smug reporters need to stop being so full of their own importance.

trisher Fri 05-Jun-20 11:25:34

It's just occurred to me Matt by name and mat by nature!!

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 21:19:11

The Rebel....is that where he’s an artist and creates his masterpieces by riding his bike over the canvas ( or some such thing) ? ?

Matt Hancock will probably be very happy to only do a briefing once a fortnight from now on ( or even less.) I read that the briefing will be weekly instead of daily.

JuneRose Thu 04-Jun-20 21:08:23

I like poor old Matt but I think.Boris would throw him under the bus in an instant if it suited him whilst defending Cummings to the hilt.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jun-20 21:08:22

The real Hancock ( Tony ) is in a film that's on just now called The Rebel.

I dread seeing MH fumbling for his words now, it's more like the Muppet Show than a serious briefing.

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 20:57:37

Thanks Jane I thought I was right in remembering him but couldn't be sure.
Our teenage children used to love that programme.?

Jane10 Wed 03-Jun-20 22:09:23

That was Gruber of 'leetle tank' fame. In some photos Hancock does look like poor old Gruber.
Hancock just has to keep turning out. I wonder if behind the scenes they're all having to draw straws for who' s doing the briefing and poor old Hancock keeps getting the short one.
Doubt we'll see Van Tam any time soon. Suspect we'll not be seeing his name on the New Year's honours list which is a pity. He'd be the People's choice.

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 21:41:44

I must go away and look it up....it’s some years since it was on tv!

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 21:40:28

I could be wrong, but wasn’t Gruber the one in charge of the tanks ( tank) in the village who referred fondly to it as ‘my leetle tank’ ? The one who was always making eyes at Renee?

MawB Wed 03-Jun-20 20:42:52

I don’t get your version of Oberleutnant Gruber Lemongrove
Are we talking about the same person?

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 19:55:39

Tbh, I can’t see that he looks like the actor in Allo Allo really, although I liked that character ( my lettle tank)?
MH isn’t charismatic it’s true, but has had to front the briefing so many times he must be sick of it ( do we really need this every evening?)and as others say, try and keep his patience with some idiotic and repetitive questions.

Grammaretto Wed 03-Jun-20 19:47:13

Very funny thread (sorry Matt Hancock or Granny Hancock if you're on) thanks Maw
I had hoped for some old Hancock's half hour but this was very funny.

Rosalyn69 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:12:39

I do agree. He’s doing his best, is out of his depth and is being set up as the fall guy if it all goes t**ts.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 18:07:38

MawB I now have a vision of poor Mr H standing at the podium with MissMarydoll's very unruly maths class standing behind him, counting the numbers on their fingers.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 18:04:59

I think he's a decent man charged with an impossible task without the support of his superior.

Quite honestly, journalists do ask ludicrous questions to which even the average 11 year old knows the answer because they have more sense.

Grandmafrench Wed 03-Jun-20 17:14:45

Trisher that's even funnier than MawB's post.
I have to say I'm not keen.....I don't like people in Government who regularly lose their tempers or who have sulky faces especially when being interviewed.

I agree, he's probably out of his depth - but ye gods, he's in good company !

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 17:06:17

I love MS's idea that he should not have progressed higher than a branch manager of PC World!

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Jun-20 14:05:04

I agree with flaxwoven that he is being set up as the fall guy.
I think at the start he believed what he was saying, but as time has gone on and he is having to be the voice of the Govt. that has made so many terrible mistakes, he knows that these daily broadcasts are not informative, they are just meaningless lists of numbers.

trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 13:58:13

Michael Spicer does this so well! www.youtube.com/watch?v=osgcTSVt7eU

flaxwoven Wed 03-Jun-20 13:15:45

It looks like he's been set up as the fall guy, poor man.

eazybee Wed 03-Jun-20 12:16:40

I admire his determination and think he is fighting his way forward, whilst shouldering an enormous burden.

He too had coronavirus, and none of them have had adequate time to recuperate.

Calendargirl Wed 03-Jun-20 11:19:51

Yes, when Robbie Savage was on a few evenings ago asking a sports related question I think, Matt spoke to him as if he were a long lost friend, and thanked him for coming on.
Robbie sounded a bit nervous, they obviously gave each other moral support.

Jomarie Wed 03-Jun-20 10:22:15

I'm with you Teetime - occasionally, very occasionally, you get a glimpse of a slight smile when he recognises a friendly face from the media (not actually sure there is such a thing) - I'll bet his mum is so proud of him - he does seem reasonably human for a politician.

Teetime Wed 03-Jun-20 10:12:29

I quite like him. I would like to see him visibly supported by Boris though. I think he struggles to present the statistics and the medics do it better. He's a good man trying to do his best.