Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

To social or not

(13 Posts)
c6girls Fri 05-Jun-20 12:11:37

Hi, first time posting a discussion, bear with, my youngest daughter will be 13, Saturday 12th, her father wants the bbq at his parents (that's 3 peeps) where he is living, they have a big garden, which is fine, not sure to be worried if they invite his sister and family (4 of them) plus my 2 girls. As lockdown is easing. They are planning to put the hot tub on, so what will the dangers of all this. The sisters kids are 5 and 9, they will prob want to get in same time as my girls 13, 14... I don't want to be a party pooper but both father and nanny are shielding as have bad asthma. Also they have nit seen or been round the house since lockdown and father only from a distance. Advice please

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:18:15

I think it’s pretty obvious what the advice is, the question is whether you are willing to take the risk and let the girls go, if other families turn up.
It’s now an offence so there could be fines if it goes ahead and the hot tub is a no no, however, it might pour with rain and the whole thing cancelled.
Sorry for your daughter though, lots of parties will be postponed, but they shouldnt go to the party if it’s moved indoors either, unless you can be sure that others don’t arrive.

Teetime Fri 05-Jun-20 14:38:14

The hot tub is the problem here as the virus is airborne and the hot tub has lots of spray. Sharing a pool of any kind is not advised at the moment.

MawB Fri 05-Jun-20 14:54:43

Don’t do it!

MawB Fri 05-Jun-20 14:58:58

Sorry, pressed to soon
1) too many people
2) weather forecast not really outdoor party weather
3) barbecues not recommended - picnic where you bring your own food and utensils
4) hot tub - absolute no, no
5) father/ grandparent shielding so they are only allowed contact with one person
6) most of us have survived not going to family houses during lockdown

How many more reasons do you want?
Or is this a wind-up?

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 15:04:11

Ditto what MawB said.

bear with
You're not Tilly are you?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 15:13:29

To congregate in a hot-tub isn't the way to go---forget it.!
Some people ask the daftest questions---so unreal.

yggdrasil Fri 05-Jun-20 15:33:37

Most regions of the counry have a R number between 0.75 and 1+ as of the latest figures. I'm not going anywhere, and anyone else breaking lockdown is daft.
Even if that is what Johnson has said, he's only interested in the economy, not peole's lives.angry

janipat Fri 05-Jun-20 15:40:02

There isn't a Saturday on the 12th until September, so if this is the date of her birthday who knows what the situation will be by then? I'm not a walking calendar, just have relatives with birthdays on 12th of the month for the next three months!

rosenoir Fri 05-Jun-20 15:52:08

Can the coronavirus spread through pools and hot tubs?
Here is the answer, direct from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
– There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g. with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 16:24:04

Well spotted, Janipat Marple!

JenniferEccles Fri 05-Jun-20 16:44:47

Another silly wind up here and I think it’s been posted before too.

The scenario sounds familiar.

rosenoir Fri 05-Jun-20 17:11:45

Why would it be a wind up?

I think a lot of us have lost track of what day or date it is.