Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’ve been out! I’ve been out!

(63 Posts)
25Avalon Sat 06-Jun-20 13:41:02

I’ve not been far, nor have I met any body. I got in my car and drove 4 miles behind my DD to the petrol station where she used her mobile app and filled my car up with petrol. I waved to the man in front when I got the wrong pump then drove home. I did not get out of the car at any time but what a feeling of euphoria! I am fortunate to have a big house and large wilderness garden I have kept busy in but was beginning
to feel disconnected. I feel reconnected although still self isolating with DH. Anyone else felt the same or have I just become pathetic?

JackieBee1 Mon 08-Jun-20 08:40:25

Nanny C1
How did your local council let you know about the R rate, and where do you live please ?
TiA

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Jun-20 08:38:22

We found it really strange when walking in town that everyone was avoiding each other and distancing, but I kept forgetting. In our town the pavements are very narrow and it means stepping into the road every few minutes. Those who’ve been going out all the time glare as they’re leaving the two metre gap without thinking about it now. Its the new norm. It’s hard to get your head around but I’m now getting the hang of it but the longer you leave mixing with strangers the harder it will be.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 08-Jun-20 00:13:50

I started two weeks ago - decided to do a supermarket shop as there were somethings I couldn't get on line. We'd been getting a delivery about once every two weeks. First contact with someone (except the delivery drivers and that included doctor with DH's medication every 3 weeeks) since beginning of lockdown).

I now go to either Sainsbury or Morrisons once a week. Brilliant. Probably prefer Sainsbury as their stock is excellent as are the aisles (much wider).

I even went to Homebase today for plants and plant food.

Jillybird Sun 07-Jun-20 22:33:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 07-Jun-20 22:11:54

The advice has been if in a car with a passenger sit one in the back away from the driver and have windows open. Fresh air is the best thing and if you both wear masks then that stops both of you passing it on to the other.

LadyBella Sun 07-Jun-20 20:51:30

I'd urge you all to look at maps and find isolated places near where you live. Even on the edge of London, my DS has found walks he can do without encountering many people at all. Here in the south west we go out most days to places which aren't on the tourist map or particularly popular such as local woods and country lanes. There are lots of places to go where you will be perfectly safe rather than stay in.

Jellybean345 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:41:30

Meant 45 minutes drive away !

earnshaw Sun 07-Jun-20 20:15:04

I`m sure those crowds in london didnt feel the slightest bit guilty or bothered, , I too have been isolated for 12 weeks and thats why the protesters in london feel like a slap in the face, I just hope to god they dont start another spike, if there is one, we know who to blame and it wont be the government

Jellybean345 Sun 07-Jun-20 20:13:03

Asking some advice please !My Mum is 92 and shielding , coping extremely well with it and keeping cheerful thankfully.
We ve found a good shopping delivery for her which is working fine.
We ve kept in contact by phoning or Mum sitting in her covered porch and either myself or my brother sitting well apart in her garden bringing our own flask and deckchair.We both live 45 minutes away .We ve managed to engineer contact with our other siblings who for various reasons cannot visit Mum by giving her her own ear phones to use after removing her hearing aid we then Whats App everyone on a mobile phone well sanitised,then place it halfway on an upturned plant pot, plug it in so Mum can then pick it up walk back and put it on her knee to talk to and see our other siblings. Again working very well .Mum can’t cope with technology so having her own phone is not an option
Now one of us from a household can walk with Mum outside .She can only walk a small distance so I can take Mum out in a wheelchair .Although it is in a rural quiet area it’s not exactly wheelchair friendly very bumpy and only kerbs in places so we are restricted to where we can go safely .The fresh air is so good for her .
Would love to take her in the car and go somewhere more accessible and interesting outside but not sure whether me sitting in the drivers seat Mum sitting diagonally behind in the back seat would be too near even if we both wear masks .
Mum can manage reasonably well in and out of the car so won’t need me too near to assist her.
What do you all think ?Is the car arrangement too close ?
Many thanks !

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 17:53:44

I hope you get to see the sea soon, Bijou but preferably somewhere quiet.

And I hope you have someone to help with your shopping etc.

Bijou Sun 07-Jun-20 17:44:42

Because of mobility problems I have only been as far as my front garden. The only people I have seen are my daily help who keeps her distance and my neighbour who came over when I was sitting in the front garden.
Before all this started my help was going to take me to the coast because I haven’t seen the sea for seven years.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 17:43:44

Of course, some people who are shielding could be feeble, ie "lacking physical strength as a result of age or illness".

It's unpleasant to use that word as an insult.

Legs55 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:38:03

I have been going out a couple of times a week to shop for myself & my neighbour, I am 64 & a Type 2 Diabetic, my neighbour is 74 & also Diabetic. I do go to the Supermarkets but usually early morning when there's less people around. I've met DD a couple of times. Hopefully I'll get to see DGSs soon, the elder one wasn't well last week so it's a "rain check" for now.

I'm glad I've been able to get out, my neighbour is climbing the walls & is very wary about going out to the shops but I think she will give in soon. I worry that those who haven't been out will find it difficult to leave home.

I've had some Podiatry Appointments at the local Hospital, temperature checked & face mask to be worn at my last 2 visits. At least my car gets a few good runs instead of just a couple of miles into Town.

Foxglove77 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:37:32

Gingergirl congratulations on your little trip out. It is liberating and the beginning of getting back to normality. I have been shopping for my Aunt who is 82 and very independent, drives her own car etc. I have fetched groceries and left on her doorstep. Today I checked if she needed anything and she said she'd been to the supermarket for the first time and it went ok so she no longer needed any help. I said that was great but if she needed help with anything heavy to let me know. I hope things continue to improve.

Judy54 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:48:40

No Greciangirl we cannot stay indoors indefinitely but it does not make those choosing to do so feeble. Like 4allweknow my experience has been of cyclists on the pavement, joggers who feel they have more rights than me and people letting their dogs loose in the fields. Last time I ventured out a large dog off a lead jumped on me and the owner said it was my fault for being there as if it was exclusively for dog owners. Not a nice experience at all so for now will stick to my garden where I can find peace and quiet.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:34:21

Barmeyoldbat I hope your daughter will recover well and it's nothing serious.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 16:30:30

Having been told to stay at home then many who had the shielding letter thought that was the best course of action.

I went out today and encountered the traffic fumes.
Frankly, the air is fresher in my own garden and the birds sing louder here.
Lovely!

it's feeble
An you are rude and unpleasant.

Greciangirl Sun 07-Jun-20 16:09:42

For heavens sake, what is the matter with most of you.

You have all become scaredy-cats, pussyfooting around.

Some of you won’t even get out of your cars and take in some fresh air.

None of us can stay in indefinitely, so now might be a good time to take a few tentative steps outside.
Don’t let paranoia rule your life. It’s feeble.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 07-Jun-20 16:06:36

I should stay in as as I am 73 with medical conditions including a damaged lung but it has been impossible. Thursday I had a phone call from daughter and I was concerned about her so I drove the 55 miles to her house and I am so glad I did because while I was there her speech went all funny and she couldn't stand. Called 999 and they came within 15 minutes. Decided it was a stroke so off to hospital, 32 miles in the other direction from home, blue lights flashing. They were very good at the hospital and let me be with her due to her learning difficulties. Anyway to cut a long story short wasn't a stroke but are keeping her in. So I went back to her house picked up the cat and drove home. Got home at 8.30 with the cat sat on the back seat because he had escaped from his cat box!! Was not a happy cat but has settled in. Will now have to go back down to her house when they discharge her so I can sort out food and care and return the cat. So, so much for lockdown for me.

BazingaGranny Sun 07-Jun-20 15:58:21

Dear 25Avonalon and Merlotgran, glad you’ve both been out. I’m not shielding but am being careful, and I go out carefully everyday. One or two shops I’ll now avoid, as the customers seem stressed, sweary and pushy. A walk locally or a drive to somewhere pretty, even if the weather is bad, can help tremendously.

Let’s hope that a vaccine will be ready soon. Keep safe but not scared ???

allule Sun 07-Jun-20 15:37:46

When lockdown started, I thought it would be for a few weeks, and then things would be under control and we would be able to go out again.
I really cant see that this is going to happen, and get very low at the long term prospects, or lack of them.

Blinko Sun 07-Jun-20 15:31:36

I've been accompanying a friend each morning when she walks her dog. All weathers. It's grand!

gillyknits Sun 07-Jun-20 14:47:12

I went out for the first time last week. Just a short run in the car as I’m shielded and at that time, wasn’t allowed out. It was good to be out but I felt that I had swapped one “bubble” (home) for another “bubble” (the car)
Next step is to go out for a proper walk even if the weather isn’t being kind at the moment!

NannyC1 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:29:36

My SIL collected me in his car(I sat behind him with my mask on) and took me to their home to sit in the garden. It was wonderful to see my DD and DGD after 12 weeks shielding.
Our local council has just informed us that the R rate has gone to 1.1 so I'm locking myself back down again.

rowanflower0 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:19:52

I had not been out since lockdown - don't exercise because of disability, chemist delivers and let other half do the supermarket trips as he was going 'stir crazy'! Going to the garden centre 3 days ago was great - felt almost 'normal', got veggie plants and cotrus-compost. Ernt to sister-in-law's garden yesterday, left her belated birthday present , sat and talked for 5 min, before hail-storm arrived and chased us away, went to supermarket and realised that apart from the brousing I wasn't missing a thing.