Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mask is smothering me

(41 Posts)
lincolnimp Tue 09-Jun-20 14:24:19

I have just taken delivery of reusable fabric masks for myself and DH.
After much research I opted for 4 layer linen fabric, washable at 90 degrees.
I have just tried one, and feel as though I am being suffocated, panic setting in, and glasses steaming up.
The main problem is the feeling of being suffocated.
I suppose it isn't helped by the general stuffiness as a result of controlled hayfever

I know we don't actually need to wear masks atm as we are still self isolating though there will come a time when we have to go out and may be called upon to wear a mask

Callistemon Wed 10-Jun-20 10:31:09

I'll try that tip, thank you Auntieflo

MiniMoon Wed 10-Jun-20 10:29:16

I have crocheted a mask from a pattern on YouTube. All I have to do now is line it with suitable fabric.
I used to wear the disposable type at work, and the elastic always irritated the back of my ears.
My DH was given two different types of mask and some clear shields, none of which fit me as I have a little round head ?. I think I could make the shields fit, with something to bulk out the piece across the forehead. I'll have to think about what to use.

Auntieflo Wed 10-Jun-20 08:29:56

I don't know if this works, but have been told that rubbing shaving foam onto your glasses, and polishing off, will help protect your glasses from steaming up.

(It did work on our bathroom mirror) smile

Furret Wed 10-Jun-20 08:19:46

I’m seeing more and more wearing masks around here especially the elderly. Wise people. You do get used to them. At first I couldn’t wait to get mine off, but yesterday I found myself driving home still wearing it.

I get the 3-layer surgical masks. It didn’t look waterproof but when I held it under the tap the water formed globules that just ran off.

As far as removing it, I only touch my ears when I do so as that’s where the elastic is. Don’t think the virus can get in through ears?

IMO you would be foolish not to wear one in appropriate situations,

Gaunt47 Wed 10-Jun-20 07:34:49

Why on earth would anyone want to breathe in their exhaled carbon dioxide?
If you feel light headed when wearing one, take the stupid thing off. Or better still don't wear one in the first place.
Very few people are in fact bothering to wear them on public transport.
The WHO advice about wearing one has changed (although given their record their advice will probably change back again!)

vegansrock Wed 10-Jun-20 06:56:44

Please don’t be negative or hysterical about wearing a mask or face covering for short periods. Those countries where it is the norm to wear masks in public have had a very low death rate unlike the U.K. There are lots of different mask types and styles that can help glasses steaming, hearing aids etc. A silk scarf, a bandana or one of those hiking scarf things you can easily pull up or down are better than nothing. I’ve made Liberty print masks with cotton ties and a nose wire and will wear one if I’m in a shop.

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Jun-20 06:42:03

In order to be effective you need 3 layers.
The WHO explains what these should be made of. Whilst I agree with others that in general masks are hot and claustrophobic, I don't see the point of being uncomfortable for no benefits so I'll be wearing 3 layers if in a shop or anywhere public where I can't keep away from people.

Here's the info:

Masks should have three layers:
- an inner layer that absorbs such as soft cotton
- a middle layer that acts as a filter, such as a non-woven
- an outer layer made from a non-absorbent material ideally water resistant such as polyester.

Those layers in that order can "provide a mechanistic barrier," according to Maria D. Van Kerkhove, who is the WHO technical lead on COVID-19.

Nansnet Wed 10-Jun-20 04:48:51

PinkCakes, I really am very surprised that not all staff in hospitals are expected to wear a mask. And, a genuine question, as I am very curious to know ... how do you know that none of the staff, or yourself, are infected? Are all the staff tested daily? I assume you all leave the hospital to go home at some point? And, do staff ever go shopping, or come into contact with other people, or surfaces, outside of their home?

I just wonder, as so many cases have been asymptomatic, how is it possible to know that no one has come into contact with the virus and contracted it at some point? Surely, it would be better, as a matter of precaution, for all members of staff wear a mask, to safeguard both themselves and their patients ...?

BlueSky Tue 09-Jun-20 20:19:50

Exactly SueDonim!

lemsip Tue 09-Jun-20 19:16:57

I have masks that I will wear if and when I venture into a supermarket or shop........

SueDonim Tue 09-Jun-20 19:16:22

Spare a thought for my spectacle-wearing medic daughter. She’s wearing a mask all the time on her 12.5hr hospital shifts to keep people like us safe. I’m sure we can manage an hour or so in a mask!

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jun-20 19:11:25

Same here Merylstreep no one wearing them in my neck of the woods even on transport its not started yet anyway

I can understand if youre very ill or in an area of crowding like shopping in supermarkets but on your daily (limited life) I think it’s unnecessary and probably causing more problems than needed
I went to town yesterday everyone was very orderly and well trained the shops (the few that’s left) were fairly empty I didn’t feel at all unsafe
The numbers are dropping too

MerylStreep Tue 09-Jun-20 18:56:50

I've only worn one once when I had to have an injection at the surgery. The nurse asked me if I had a problem. I asked why? She said your breathing is heavy. Thank goodness it's only every other month.
I hardly see anyone wearing one.

Witzend Tue 09-Jun-20 18:44:09

I think they all feel stuffy. Before the online order arrived, I made half a dozen from 2 layers of an old pillowcase - high thread count pure cotton.
Very stuffy and steamy, but the bought ones aren’t much better. They all steam up my glasses - I only wear them when actually in a shop.

Oldbutstilluseful Tue 09-Jun-20 18:39:46

I’ve bought something called a Flatshield from a company in Cannock. It’s similar to the type used by the NHS but doesn’t have the foam rim, so as the name suggests, folds flat.

rubysong Tue 09-Jun-20 18:39:01

Four layers of linen seems a lot. Maybe you would be ok with a two layer mask. (Unless you are in Wales, where they are requiring three.)

BlueSky Tue 09-Jun-20 18:10:36

Yes I will wear a mask only in shops and public transport. Outside you can distance yourself.

PinkCakes Tue 09-Jun-20 17:51:24

You'll only need to wear a mask on public transport. A bus ride will probably be 30 minutes or so. Then you may * choose* to wear it when you're in a shop - again, for 30 minutes to an hour, perhaps.

I've been issued some by my employers (NHS), to wear when I'm at work (ward receptionist, not a Covid-19 ward though). I choose not to most of the tie, as the patients are not infected, and nor are the staff (no visitors allowed at the moment)

grandMattie Tue 09-Jun-20 17:37:00

I’ll probably wear a scarf, but perhaps a hijab might be an answer for us ladies!

HootyMcOwlface Tue 09-Jun-20 17:36:28

If you’ve got hearing aids you need masks with 4 strings to tie on top of your head and round the back rather than those that loop over your ears.

Toadinthehole Tue 09-Jun-20 17:28:30

When I was a nurse 40 years ago, I was allergic to masks. Non allergic ones were ordered, but they took so long to come, I’d moved from theatres to another ward. I couldn’t go in theatre at all, I just had to be a runner.

Esspee Tue 09-Jun-20 17:23:23

I used a silk scarf, just a single layer, in the supermarket and had to remove it as I was hyperventilating and felt faint.
No idea what I will do if it becomes mandatory.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:14:07

I believe that if you've got hayfever you may be exempt from wearing a mask. With my hearing aids and glasses I made my mask with long elastic to go round the back of my head.

It's not ideal though it's a relief when I get back to the car and pull it down so that I can breathe fresh air.

SueDonim Tue 09-Jun-20 15:29:19

morethan my Dh has the glasses/aids problem, too. I’m going to get him to try some of these ideas to help with that problem.

www.homemadeginger.com/5-hacks-to-help-prevent-your-face-mask-from-hurting-your-ears/

Barmeyoldbat Tue 09-Jun-20 15:18:21

I have hay fever and wear glasses and a mask. When my glasses steam up I just pull my glasses away from face for a few seconds, does the trick. The rest of it you will get use to it the more you wear it.