Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Newspaper Delivery

(15 Posts)
PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 22:58:29

My husband buys a daily paper, and he reads it straight away. Cover to cover, and he does the crosswords.

I much prefer reading it online.

ninathenana Sat 20-Jun-20 18:08:34

We have had a paper delivered ever since we've been married. We haven't been quarantining them since Covid.

Despite the delivery Himself still walks to the paper shop most days to get his paper and has continued to do so as his permitted exercise since lockdown. The shop did close for two weeks to implement precautions but as they sell basic food stuff they have been allowed to stay open.

Alima Sat 20-Jun-20 17:53:06

Didn’t realise you were such a bragger kittyl!
On the 23rd March I was panic stricken when realisation set in that we would not be able to bimble along to the paper shop for the morning necessary. Took the opportunity to arrange a daily delivery instead and it has been that way since. Would like to change back to collecting it but that may have to wait until full normality is restored and the paper run is combined with the school run again. An online paper doesn’t seem the same.
We are clatty and do not iron ours, or microwave it.

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 17:39:15

We always iron ours since we furloughed the butler!

PamelaJ1 Sat 20-Jun-20 17:33:51

We have ours delivered, we have never ironed it or put it in the microwave and we are fine.

Sparklefizz Sat 20-Jun-20 17:29:11

Well, don't misunderstand me TrendyNannie, I wasn't quarantining a newspaper before lockdown obviously.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:32:35

Never quarantined a paper always had ours del for years

Sparklefizz Sat 20-Jun-20 16:28:53

Thanks. Perhaps I can forget the quarantining.

boheminan Sat 20-Jun-20 16:25:45

My luxury in life is having my daily paper delivered. I can't wait to get my mitts on it every morning, so there's no chance of it being quarantinedgrin

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jun-20 13:59:47

Mine has continued delivery except for 3 days this week when they went to the wrong house, but that's been resolved and I didn't miss out with them as they were returned by the grumpy neighbour grin silly old " thing ".

Ilovecheese Sat 20-Jun-20 13:50:35

We don't quarantine ours either, although very careful with other deliveries, I suppose not many of us are entirely logical are we.

grannysyb Sat 20-Jun-20 13:47:32

Read mine every morning when it comes through the door, we don't bother to quarantine it.

Jane10 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:38:20

We've always had a paper delivered. We live in a block of flats with a resident caretaker so the bundle of papers is delivered to the front door and the caretaker distributes them to the correct flats. Thus they've been touched by several pairs of hands. I just pick it up and read it straight away with my cup of tea. One of life's essential little luxuries.

kittylester Sat 20-Jun-20 13:31:34

The only paper shop in our village to do deliveries shut down.

Pre lockdown, DH had been walking to the coop and having lots of chats with people on the way there and back. Since lockdown, we have been having deliveries from a shop in the next village and it is lovely to have them on the mat every morning when we get up - regardless of the weather.

It will be a dilemma when we are allowed out again to decide whether to keep the deliveries or go back to DH and his social outings.

On the contamination point - ours comes about 5am so has 'sat' for a while before we get to it.

Sparklefizz Sat 20-Jun-20 11:06:08

I have had a newspaper delivered and I'm so excited! Ridiculous, I know, but it was the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning.

I used to walk to the village shop on Saturday mornings to buy the weekend paper with supplements which last me all week, but gave that up when I went into my own lockdown 2 weeks before the official one.

I paid to read the paper online but it just isn't the same!

Now instead of walking to the shop and handing over cash shock because I am shielding, I have had my first paper delivered. The outside pages are now in quarantine, but I have read some of the inside and then washed my hands. Am I being over cautious? I don't know. But the pleasure of having a paper copy to read has been great. smile