Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Don’t do as I do, do as I say

(15 Posts)
MawB Wed 01-Jul-20 08:57:31

First we had Robert Jenrick, the Housing minister going off to his second home in the country, then we had Professor Neil Ferguson having his married girlfriend over to stay, then we had the infamous trip to Barnard Castle etc by DomCum and now this, the Mayor of Leicester (that’s right, the one with the CV spike)
Our message, very clearly, is stick together,” declared Sir Peter Soulsby, the mayor of Leicester, yesterday
It followed a week in which the 71-year-old Labour politician attacked the Government’s plan to combat a rise in cases as “cobbled together”, and insisted there was “nothing special” about the spread of the virus in his city.
By yesterday afternoon, he appeared to have finally warmed to the idea of reintroducing restrictions, even suggesting it should have been done earlier.
Behind the scenes, however, senior Whitehall officials revealed frustration at what they saw as incompetence and delaying tactics from Sir Peter and Leicester City Council.
One senior source pointed to Sir Peter’s own behaviour after he previously admitted breaking lockdown rules by visiting his girlfriend at her home
”This guy doesn’t like lockdown. He broke lockdown and had to be spoken to by the police over” a source quoted
“After Matt [Hancock] talked about it last Thursday, we got a load of s--- from people locally. Soulsby was going out saying it was a lie, there’s no outbreak, there’s just a few more cases. They’ve been in denial about this.”
This month, he was pictured up a ladder at his girlfriend’s house, despite telling the people of his city to “stay safe at home
Neighbours filmed him several times as he visited his partner Lesley Summerland, 64, in April and May. At the time, people were barred from travelling to any homes but their own and lovers were banned from overnight stays.
Police spoke to Sir Peter but no action was taken.

Who’s next?

Riverwalk Wed 01-Jul-20 09:00:18

The Queen off to Balmoral.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:02:17

We can but guess. Perhaps we should set up a game like Bingo, instead of numbers put down the names of politicians - but I doubt we've got a big enough board.

Teacheranne Wed 01-Jul-20 09:07:11

My understanding that the Queen is planning to go to Balmoral on the 1st August providing that Scotland has relaxed the rules to allow non essential travel and over night stays etc.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 09:13:12

I watched this Mayor yesterday giving an interview to the press .....he didn’t inspire any confidence at all.

J52 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:17:18

From Monday 29th June second home owners could travel to Scotland for essential maintenance. I expect she’s packing her tool kit, electric drill and workmate.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:39:31

I have found myself becoming disappointed with so many folk in lockdown whether they be politicians, footballers, so called celebrities or just people locally and don't get me started on the flipping neighbours!!! I have not been influenced by any of these people flouting the rules.

As a family we have all observed the rules absolutely. At the onset we made sure that there was only one family member in work at any one time (family business) so as to keep all families safe.

This virus is not going anywhere, we have to live with it and not let our guard down, use our common sense.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Jul-20 10:20:10

This virus is not going anywhere, we have to live with it and not let our guard down, use our common sense.

That message is not helped by Matt Hancock saying at I think it was the last of the daily briefings 'the virus is in retreat'.

I think it will be a free for all come Saturday!

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 10:26:20

It was in retreat, until all the protests/ marches/ raves/ Celebrations etc a couple of weeks ago.Those things will be bound to have an effect.
As will the recent packed beaches such as Brighton and Bournemouth.
Those of us who have to be very careful have to go on being very careful.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:34:06

Riverwalk

^This virus is not going anywhere, we have to live with it and not let our guard down, use our common sense.^

That message is not helped by Matt Hancock saying at I think it was the last of the daily briefings 'the virus is in retreat'.

I think it will be a free for all come Saturday!

Our local pubs have a booking system two hour slots, table service only, hopefully this will work.

Unfortunately there will always be the idiots who think that they are above any rules/guidelines and no doubt our Police Force will be on hand to deal with them.

annep1 Thu 02-Jul-20 10:31:28

Deputy First Minister in NI attending a huge IRA funeral.

GrandmaKT Thu 02-Jul-20 10:37:01

Boris' dad, Stanley Johnson has flown to his holiday villa in Athens. Because UK visitors are not allowed to fly to Greece, he broke his journey in Bulgaria., (Courtesy Daily Mail).

Tangerine Thu 02-Jul-20 10:38:15

Slightly off topic but I remember my Dad used to sometimes use the phrase "don't do as I do, do as I say" when I was a child.

Elrel Thu 02-Jul-20 18:17:40

When you look at Stanley Johnson’s behaviour Boris’s blatant disregard for rules becomes less surprising.

Parsley3 Thu 02-Jul-20 19:11:07

Ah well, another two fingered salute to the Great British Public. Add Stanley Johnson to the list.