Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Current infections in the UK

(22 Posts)
Fennel Fri 03-Jul-20 16:31:52

Maizie I wish you hadn't posted that.
We're just north of you in Gateshead and were priding ourselves that the rate of infection here had gone down. Having had many deaths in the first wave. Most people are still being careful here.
The way these numbers are collected should be standardised.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 13:22:18

MaizieD

Yes, I did. It's eyewatering, 626.4

But there are quite a few above us...

That's still double my area.

It means one in 160 people is infected. If you were to go into a couple of busy shops and walk along a high street, you would probably encounter that many people. It could be one of your neighbours, friends or family.

It would only take one infected person to stop and talk to you and stand a little bit too close for you to become infected.

If you are somebody who wants to cut risk to almost zero, that's still high.

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 12:44:04

Yes, I did. It's eyewatering, 626.4

But there are quite a few above us...

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 12:33:44

County Durham is showing an extremely high infection rate. However, I expect there are huge differences across the county. Did you look up the LTLA figure?

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 12:27:25

There's a map here on the ONS site which will give you the number of cases per local area. Since the inclusion of Pillar 2 testing numbers my area, Durham, has gone up overnight from 2,066 to 3,301.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/#category=ltlas&map=case&area=e06000047

Lexisgranny Fri 03-Jul-20 11:28:28

Probably resulting from an outbreak in a local food processing factory, our Current local ‘Zoe’ prediction is 0.7.

A couple of times since the outbreak, some national newspapers had a truly interactive map where you could actually zoom in on a town and pick out a particular area, showing deaths even down to areas in towns and villages.
Whereas a dot was placed on a road, it did not mean that people had died in that road, just in that vicinity.

Personally, I find it very frustrating that in our area at least the official figures given, appear only to reflect the cases in hospital, not those that have had positive tests but are self isolating at home. At the moment we are told that the turn around of results here is very quick. Hopefully I am wrong on all counts and there is an explanation.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 10:16:02

You're welcome!

I'm glad you found the link interesting. It's clear that the data the public have been given has, up to now, been worthless.

It was changed yesterday, which was the systems were down, and maybe will be more accurate from now on.

As somebody who is very cautious about going out and keeps an eye on local infection rates, it's important to me.

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jul-20 08:19:03

An interesting link too growstuff. Thanks.

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jul-20 08:15:58

Quite right growstuff! You’re right! Its a very important decimal point and it escaped! 0.2% - 0.3%.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 01:55:24

Why the government's data, especially at the upper tier (county) level, doesn't tell the whole story:

www.duncanrobertson.com/2020/07/01/which-city-could-be-next-for-a-leicester-like-lockdown/

growstuff Thu 02-Jul-20 21:51:37

GagaJo

Actually, growstuff, the KCL site IS testing. It sent my household for tests yesterday, because one of us had C19 symptoms.

But surely it's about those showing symptoms. Not everybody asks to be tested, do they? Not only that, but surely you have to wait a couple of days for results. (Happy to be corrected.)

In any case, it's much higher than the official government data. There's a discrepancy of 300%!

growstuff Thu 02-Jul-20 21:48:50

NfkDumpling

We both contribute to the Zoe survey. So see the numbers each day. Where we are its around 2 - 3 %, but it varies day to day according to test results - and one day last week it was actually 0.0%!!

2-3% or 0.2-0.3%? Sorry to be a nit picker about a decimal point.

blondenana Thu 02-Jul-20 21:42:58

where i live is the highest area in North Yorkshire for Covid -19, but one of the lowest for deaths i read on our local news website
Also higher than lancashire and west Yorkshire put together for fines given out for leaving the are when under lockdown

NfkDumpling Thu 02-Jul-20 21:31:25

We both contribute to the Zoe survey. So see the numbers each day. Where we are its around 2 - 3 %, but it varies day to day according to test results - and one day last week it was actually 0.0%!!

GagaJo Thu 02-Jul-20 21:20:35

Actually, growstuff, the KCL site IS testing. It sent my household for tests yesterday, because one of us had C19 symptoms.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 21:20:11

The whole thing is a mess. It doesn’t bode well for the second wave. I hope to god we aren’t in the middle of any flu uprise as well.

growstuff Thu 02-Jul-20 21:11:30

The KCL site doesn't involve testing at all. It's about the symptoms people have reported themselves.

There's a massive discrepancy between the KCL site and the government's tracker. Today, my local authority apparently has a higher rate than Leicester!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 21:09:52

My LA area has remained pretty consistent at 0.5%. The point is it hasn’t moved for ages, and I would prefer it was moving down.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Jul-20 21:02:48

growstuff

The trouble with that tracker is that it only shows counties, which can vary from one area to another quite considerably.

Another tracker is this one:

covid.joinzoe.com/data

Worryingly, the rate in my local authority has just doubled from 0.3% to 0.6% in two days.

That’s the site we look at, you have to take into account the amount of tests that have been processed. The more people tested the more cases will be found.

growstuff Thu 02-Jul-20 20:57:07

The trouble with that tracker is that it only shows counties, which can vary from one area to another quite considerably.

Another tracker is this one:

covid.joinzoe.com/data

Worryingly, the rate in my local authority has just doubled from 0.3% to 0.6% in two days.

fourormore Thu 02-Jul-20 13:49:07

www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1U3LSmJJECE3rTXhc4M56AqhbE5Be3Mn6&ll=53.957411184908665%2C-3.4664643645962903&z=6

Hope this link works - it's useful to be able to click on your area each day and see if the number of cases rises or drops.
I still think common sense is worth more than all the apps - if you want to stay safe don't take risks!

No one knows who is coming into each area from other areas - it seems that main roads and motorways are expected to be crammed this weekend with the July 4th releases!

Interesting post though Farnorth thank you!

FarNorth Thu 02-Jul-20 12:14:10

This map shows current infections per 100,000 population in different areas.