Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Your opinion on reporting of the pandemic

(109 Posts)
Alegrias Fri 21-Aug-20 12:51:45

The BBC website this morning was full of alarming headlines about cases going up in France, Spain, South Korea, and other places. However the Worldometer website shows that globally, the daily rise in number of cases has been essentially flat for most of August.
I'm not a virus denier nor do I want to minimise the impact this pandemic is having, but I'm interested in whether you think reporting from the mainstream media has been poor and we deserve better?

GreenGran78 Sat 22-Aug-20 16:59:14

All I can do is be as sensible as possible, to avoid catching or spreading the bug. Reading the news won’t affect my behaviour, and I have grown very bored with the entire coverage. Apart from glancing at a few websites to see what is (allegedly) going on I tend to just get on with life.
I’m not going to hide indoors, but there are plenty of things that I can safely do, especially as our local lockdown is being cancelled. I’ve done my three score years + twenty-one, and we all have to die of something. I would rather go with Covid than linger on with dementia, that’s for sure!

halfpint1 Sat 22-Aug-20 16:28:56

In France it has only taken little more than a week to go up
to 5000 cases per day, its very worrying and its not just
the media exagerating .
We are now wearing masks in the street, shops ,everywhere
except at home, it really doesn't hurt
As I read recently, if you don't like wearing a mask , you
won't like a ventilator, summed it up for me.My health
matters more than any speculation on the media or government and any hidden agenda. I've got a life and I intend to keep it

Daftbag1 Sat 22-Aug-20 15:13:34

I thought that we have up to 1000 new cases daily.......not an insignificant number. What I don't like from the authorities is the lack of honesty and integrity in their reporting.

Thank goodness for social media, and the press. Where I live it was the local pub who informed us via Facebook that they are closed for a deep clean as a client has informed them that he has tested positive for CV19. He also used the local buses. Nothing from the authorities.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-20 15:07:53

grin

Lilyflower Sat 22-Aug-20 15:06:17

BBC reports that Mr Chicken Licken, two, of Nobodyswherehas received fim evidence that the firmament is about to collapse with immediate effect.

The Guardian follows up with an exclusive interview where Mr Licken declares, 'The sky has fallen in.'

The Telegraph, in other news, reports an unusual fall of acorns, some striking passers by below.

willa45 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:23:05

Other than the news reports, I personally know a handful of people who have had it and recovered. One of the five had no symptoms. A sixth has been left with serious health issues. Two others died recently.

After many heated debates, US Schools and universities have opened in many places around the country......Many of them are now reporting new Covid outbreaks and some universities have had to close and send students home.

From listening to my family doctor, my own personal observations and that of others, including the Scientific community along with statistical curves and charts, I've come to my own conclusion which is that we need to take this virus very seriously. Do your best to protect yourselves and your families. Avoid public bathrooms, wear a mask, continue to maintain social distancing and wash your hands, a lot!

StephLP Sat 22-Aug-20 14:22:41

@GrannyGravy13
'There is litttle if no reporting of the fact that for the eight week running the UK deaths have been below the five year average.'

This is because we have all mostly followed the social distancing rules. Therefore the usual virus illnesses/deaths are greatly reduced.

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 14:03:15

Alegrias

Fair comment Soniah. I don't think there is a sinister plot behind it all, I just don't think that much of the media are very good at reporting important stories. I think they are manipulating our emotions, instead of informing us.

As jeanlang wrote, they are more concerned with trying to attack politicians rather than reporting "the" news. (Whatever "the" news is.) And as Caro57 said, we get their opinions instead of facts. Have they all forgotten how to be journalists??

And I agree with you about the second wave.

I agree with you 100%. Most of them have become propaganda tools. Some of them always were, but it used to be possible to get a balanced view from reading the broadsheets. When I was at school, we were told to read the Times and the Guardian.

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 13:59:48

knspol

I've been a Telegraph reader for many years mainly because I like their world news reporting. Recently started reading the Guardian too and so have seen a completely different view of the current situation. Who can you believe? Probably neither of them and the truth may or may not be somewhere in the middle.

Read between the lines and recognise bias. If sources are given, read them. All media use quotes and statistics selectively, so they should be read in context.

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 13:57:33

That article is worth reading varian, so I'll post the link again:

inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-anonymous-doctor-letter-conspiracy-theory-debunked-531068

It's especially worth reading, if you're one of the people who think the number of death certificates with Covid-19 as cause of death has been exaggerated.

Alegrias Sat 22-Aug-20 13:47:39

JaneRn Apparently a verse of "I will survive" works grin

knspol Sat 22-Aug-20 13:46:12

I've been a Telegraph reader for many years mainly because I like their world news reporting. Recently started reading the Guardian too and so have seen a completely different view of the current situation. Who can you believe? Probably neither of them and the truth may or may not be somewhere in the middle.

Alegrias Sat 22-Aug-20 13:45:52

Fair comment Soniah. I don't think there is a sinister plot behind it all, I just don't think that much of the media are very good at reporting important stories. I think they are manipulating our emotions, instead of informing us.

As jeanlang wrote, they are more concerned with trying to attack politicians rather than reporting "the" news. (Whatever "the" news is.) And as Caro57 said, we get their opinions instead of facts. Have they all forgotten how to be journalists??

And I agree with you about the second wave.

JaneRn Sat 22-Aug-20 13:44:36

There is as yet no vaccine. Perhaps there never will be. Scientists disagree among themselves on what we should be doing, especially the value of turning the nation into mask-wearing creatures like something out of a science fiction movie. .

We shall all die sometime, but that is not to say we should not do all we can to postpone it. Stopping reading or listening all the various stories before we are plunged into deep depression would be a good start, and don't forget to smile .especially when you are washing your hands for the umpteenth time and singing Happy Birthday, twice! Has anyone thought of a different tune?

varian Sat 22-Aug-20 13:39:00

Whether it’s Covid-19 being created in a lab, 5G masts causing the illness, or Bill Gates planning to use the coronavirus vaccine to implant microchips in people and create a global surveillance state, the pandemic has been a breeding ground for conspiracy theories.

Stephan Lewandowsky, a professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Bristol, said the source of the Surrey blog post “is not credible”.

He says such bizarre ideas tend to penetrate mainstream society when we are in crisis. “Evidence suggests that when people suffer loss of control or feel threatened, it prompts a motivation to make sense of the situation and makes some of them more vulnerable to believing conspiracies.”

inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-anonymous-doctor-letter-conspiracy-theory-debunked-531068

Dustyhen2010 Sat 22-Aug-20 13:38:29

I glean my information from the FMs daily briefings and also interviews with scientists plus studies/research information. I also look at the 'travelling tabby' coronavirus website www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/ where all the daily information for the country is available to look at in one place. There is also one for Scotland.

Soniah Sat 22-Aug-20 13:30:30

I'm not sure what you think we are being manipulated to do/not do. I look at the facts I can get and behave in a way that protects myself and others whilst living the best life I can. Nobody thinks we or anyone else is having a second wave as we are not totally out of the first yet. Behave in a way you feel comfortable with, if you want to see what happens if there are few rules there are plenty of counties to look at

kevincharley Sat 22-Aug-20 13:30:13

'Did all you know how to deal with this I certainly didn't'

I've asked, from the very first reports from China, why we didn't restrict international travel.
The slogan 'coughs and sneezes spread diseases' has been around since the Spanish flu pandemic 100 years ago, yet we've only recently been told to wear masks.
The containment of disease is the same for any infectious disease. We've known what to do for years and years.

We're an island. We've kept rabies out by keeping out unvaccinated animals. We could have saved the lives of thousands and prevented a lot of people being very poorly but it was all too little too late.

kevincharley Sat 22-Aug-20 13:12:26

Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.
Personally I'm glad the media have taken a negative perspective. Many people have ignored the warnings, if the press had been more upbeat about things then more people would have had less reason to follow the guidelines.

The part that's wrong is the government for reacting too slowly. And anyone who says they're doing a great job needs to remove their rose tinted specs.

varian Sat 22-Aug-20 13:05:03

People who "don't believe in this pandemic" are like people who believe the earth is flat. I would advise them not to be lured into conspiracy theories. If you want to do "research" start by checking your sources.

homefarm Sat 22-Aug-20 13:02:10

very poor
too much conflicting information and fake news

Candelle Sat 22-Aug-20 12:52:38

I have just written on another thread regarding testing for Covid but think that some of my post is relevant here, too:

I think that it is true that 'bad news drives out good news' and perhaps there has been a negative slant to Covid reporting. However, I am sure that many British people are not taking the problem as seriously as they should: the R rate in my locality is now up.

What will happen if we don't get a grip on this in the summer months? As we all know, winter brings 'flu and as it seems that no amount of negative reporting will bring some of us to our senses (in terms of not taking preventative measures against Covid now) so what on earth will happen then?

The professor who is running the Zoe study has pointed out that 'it is disappointing to see that the number of daily new cases is no longer falling as they have been in previous weeks'. There is further information which is too much to add here - but please think about joining the Zoe Study (reporting only takes a few seconds each day), it is interesting and you would be doing something to help the country.

Jeanlang you may be interested to know that the Government undertook a report of how to cope in a pandemic, some years ago. The result was so horrific - in economic terms - as it would cost so much.

An example is PPE. PPE is date-stamped and it was thought that the cost of having PPE just laying around and then disposed of when old would not go down well if this fact was in the public domain. The report was popped away in a filing cabinet somewhere...

I do think that a Government is damned if they do and damned if they don't!

I do however, have disquiet that we did not close our airports and ask people to isolate and wear masks when they had to leave their homes, early enough. All history now though....

Ridds66 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:51:48

They are frightening people into submission as they have other things on the agenda, that have been going on for years.
You ladies need to start investigating agenda 2030 and agenda 21, just google it , and do a bit of investigating, hope it don’t scare you all , as the things they’ve got install for the world are not good, I am doing as much research as I can on these agendas along with a few other people who don’t believe in this pandemic, happy hunting

Jeanlang Sat 22-Aug-20 12:33:28

The BBC reporting of the pandemic was brutal. They need to stop the doom and gloom. The should not have been attacking politicians they should have been supporting the government's and getting the truth of this virus across. Not reporting all the spam news. I would hate to be a politician right now as they are damn what ever way they turn. How many of them knew how to deal with a pandemic. Did all you know how to deal with this I certainly didn't

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 12:17:33

Caro57

The BBC is becoming incapable of reporting anything impartially. I want the news - not their opinion of it

Which is why I don't watch TV news and only glance at the BBC website (it does have some useful stuff on it besides the news) and go directly to sources for information I'm interested in.

I'm afraid I don't understand people letting themselves be terrified by the news, nor do I understand people who don't want to know what's going on in the world. I usually have to resort to the foreign press. I certainly don't think the BBC should be offering a "feel good" service.