Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Eat out to help out

(126 Posts)
Esspee Mon 24-Aug-20 07:07:35

We have been using the government subsidy of 50% off to help keep some lovely local restaurants in business this month.
With only one exception we have had great experiences and feel much more “upbeat” as a result of forcing ourselves back into normality. We have treated the three days a week treat as a little holiday and feel all the better for it.

At the beginning of the month there was no difficulty getting reservations but we can’t find any favourite restaurants with tables available for tomorrow so I reckon it has been a success.

The offer is still running Monday, Tuesday Wednesday this week and Monday next week. Why not treat yourselves, if bookings are still available in your area?

gulligranny Wed 26-Aug-20 20:03:53

We have now been out several times with friends to much-loved and missed independent local pubs, and it's a great pleasure to be able to help keep such services running. Although we've used these local venues, I see no reason why McDonalds etc. shouldn't be included. I think this scheme has been a shot in the arm for the hospitality sector, and those who dismiss it are very shortsighted, IMH, I for one am happy to continue going out and supporting them after the scheme has finished.

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Aug-20 18:50:39

Thanks for the tip, GrannyGravy. It’s not something I’ve come across before, so it’d be good to try something new.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Aug-20 18:46:27

Maggiemaybe give burrata a go if it’s what I think it is it’s really tasty???

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Aug-20 17:11:13

We’re going to a naice (as they say on Mumsnet) local restaurant tonight, that’s usually a special occasion only one for us. I’ve had to do a bit of googling so that I know what we’re ordering. I now know what elote, copa and bonito dashi are. And that burrata’s nothing to do with a burrito. ?

icanhandthemback Wed 26-Aug-20 12:43:41

We ate out last night at an exclusive, expensive, little restaurant last night which is normally out of our range but the lack of eating out over the last 6 months has meant we have a bit more spare cash. It was lovely but highly calorific as it was full of fat and sugar and we ate far more than we usually would. It was an experience but, quite honestly, I came out thinking that a MacDonalds would have been healthier.
I think the point of the scheme was more about encouraging people to put their anxieties about Covid behind them so they started using places again so that businesses, small or large, could start to return to normal. Once you entice them into something that looks like a bargain, they relax about using shops, etc. It is the snowball effect the Government are seeking not just eateries.
Many international businesses aren't as rich as you would think. They often have high overheads, debt from expansion programmes and are dependant on their share price to keep going. They are more vulnerable than we think. I am not denying they are exploitative, tax avoiding businesses but that is a completely different issue.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Aug-20 23:38:56

I didn’t read it that way either, JenniferEccles. smile

JenniferEccles Tue 25-Aug-20 22:33:08

Like I said I certainly didn’t mean my post to come over as being patronising but having read my last paragraph again I can see how it could appear to be.

The intention wasn’t there though m’lud!

Parsley3 Tue 25-Aug-20 22:00:03

MacDonalds are not just about burgers. They do good coffee and salads.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 19:55:59

I didn't interpret it that way.
The joys of the digital age, I suppose, where the nuances are lost in the ether.

growstuff Tue 25-Aug-20 19:26:05

Read it again. It came over as "I wouldn't touch the stuff, but it's OK for the plebs to have their treats".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with McDonalds nutritionally. Eating them as the only source of nutrition would lack fibre and vitamins/minerals, but nobody expects people to do that.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 18:39:05

You weren't patronising at all, in my opinion. smile
You were right.

JenniferEccles Tue 25-Aug-20 17:49:52

Well I certainly didn’t intend it to be patronising. I thought I was stating a fact that for the less well off, regular meals out are out of the question, therefore the Chancellor’s offer must have been very welcome.

I doubt many of our age group are fans of Mc.D but nutritionally they are probably no worse than a high calorie Indian meal.

SueDonim Tue 25-Aug-20 17:39:13

So that’s why French women allegedly don’t get fat, MissAdventure! grin

PamelaJ1 Tue 25-Aug-20 16:06:11

We went out last night with family. DGS and I had fish, the other adults had a burger. A very posh one, about a foot high??. Certainly many more calories than a McDonalds I should think. Never mind, it doesn’t constitute a normal days intake.
The restaurant was very grateful for the chancellors gift. We all like a bargain and we need to encourage people to get back to somewhere near normal in a safe way. This seems to be doing just that. I hope it works, gives people pleasure, saves some jobs.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 15:15:15

I think the use of the French language stops the chips from absorbing so much grease. wink

SueDonim Tue 25-Aug-20 13:55:22

Growstuff the Macdonald’s spicy veggie burger is lovely! I tried one when we were in a service station with limited food choices and as I mostly eat veggie when away from home, I went for that. I was very happy with it. smile

I fail to see why a MacD’s regular burger and fries is any worse than an upmarket restaurant serving a 12oz steak smothered in a cream-based sauce and served with pommes frites.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Aug-20 10:07:49

MissAdventure

Information online seems to suggest that Macdonalds is no worse than calorie laden high end food.

And very few of the high end establishments are as transparent about what goes into their food.

There’s a good cinema advert, where McD’s debunk the “what goes into our burgers” myths. It seems that some on here would rather believe it was tails and feet.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 09:38:39

Actually, Macdonalds pay pretty well, (for a hospitality job) and offer flexible hours which are guaranteed.

growstuff Tue 25-Aug-20 09:37:38

devonnanny I take your point and think much more should be done to support those who have suffered/are suffering financially from Covid.

However, it's a fact that some people (an estimated third of the population) have gained financially from lockdown. They've had fewer opportunities to spend their money and have been hoarding it. This is a way of encouraging them to spend money and provide employment.

I think it's sad that so much GDP is based on providing services which people could actually live without. I'd rather people were employed - and money was used - on services which were of greater benefit, but that's the way our economy is and it's not likely to change any time soon.

Jane10 Tue 25-Aug-20 09:34:37

devonnanny so the hospitality industry and all its jobs could just go hang? I don't think you understand the point of it.
gillybob- I agree with you. No time for snobbery.

growstuff Tue 25-Aug-20 09:27:25

I agree with you gillybob.

McDonalds is one of the most transparent companies about ingredients. It's actually years since I had one, but my children loved them and there's nothing wrong with them nutritionally as part of a balanced diet.

devonnanny Tue 25-Aug-20 09:20:33

ajswan, hollysteers how convenient to believe that anyone in this country that needs foodbanks or lives in poverty is to blame for their own situation. I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a meal out and agree that some sort of new normal will be required but believe that government money could be spent that on subsidising those who can afford to eat out. Under current regulations those asked to stay home and self isolate to protect us all get £95.85 a week, the money could be better spent on increasing this allowance to a level that would allow individuals to afford self isolate - rent,bills and food are unaffordable if they stay home.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 09:14:17

Some families regularly eat out in "nicer" places.
Should we subsidise them?

gillybob Tue 25-Aug-20 09:14:05

I think McDonalds food is no better or worse than many other foods (as I mentioned up thread). Its the sheer snobbery that get me.

It seems that for some its fine for anyone to eat out and get money off in a posh restaurant or gastro pub, but heaven forbid a struggling family should treat their children to a trip to McDonalds.

vegansrock Tue 25-Aug-20 09:06:29

For some families eating in Macdonalds type outfits is not a rare treat - it’s a regular occurrence. What does that prove? Some mothers fed greasy food to their kids in the school playground rather than them having to endure healthy school meals. There are meany ways of treating children - buying them a bag of sweets or going to the cinema- we don’t have to subsidise all of them. Never mind it’ll be finished soon.