Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Gov. Uk tables of CV 19 - not all of them are frightening!!!

(94 Posts)
Franbern Sun 06-Sep-20 20:11:08

Paste this link into your search engine. It shows tables from Gov. Uk.
1. Number of tests and numbers of positive tests - rising

2. Number of people needing hospitalisation and numbers needing ITU beds -fallen incredibly and well flattened.

3. Number of daily death - enormous fall and totally flattened.

Perhaps these last two tables will be more reassuring to people. We have no vaccine, and, yes, the virus is out there still, but much more under control and treatable.

First table represents the large increase in number of tests being carried outnow.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.201139886.1664889692.1599413384-1460457478.1585131846

geekesse Mon 07-Sep-20 22:35:03

The number of cases has almost doubled in four days:
Sept 2nd -1508 new cases
Sept 6th - 2988 new cases

If that continues, there could be 6000 cases a day by 10th Sept, 12,000 by 14th, and so on. But unlike the last time we had this kind of number, children are in school, pubs are open and people are being urged to return to work. The flu season is about to begin.

Am I being pessimistic or just facing the facts?

Bellanonna Mon 07-Sep-20 22:44:26

Monica, thank you for your balanced post. Paddyann from what Monica has written, if you read it properly, I would hardly call her lucky!

growstuff Tue 08-Sep-20 01:22:42

MayBee70

I find it rather irritating that it’s assumed that, because I’m taking Covid very seriously and am very concerned about the next few months I’m imprisoning myself in my home wailing and moaning and having a miserable time. Within the safeguards of me shielding myself as much as possible I’m having quite pleasant time and am feeling quite empowered and positive most of the time. I do get very angry at people not taking it seriously though.

You've explained very well how I feel too.

I feel more positive when I can control my life after knowing facts rather than feeling that I'm being fobbed off with fake optimism and cheerleading, which is how I feel when I listen to some of the government's spin.

varian Tue 08-Sep-20 10:57:07

Coronavirus cases are surging again in the UK because “people have relaxed too much”, the deputy chief medical officer has warned.

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said the British public should start taking the pandemic “very seriously again” or face a “bumpy ride over the next few months”.

He described the rise in cases to nearly 3,000 per day – predominantly among those aged 17 to 21 - as “a signal we have got to change this now”.

"People have relaxed too much," he said. “Now is the time for us to re-engage and realise that this is a continuing threat to us.”

www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-cases-rise-threat-jonathan-van-tam-b405091.html

Jane10 Tue 08-Sep-20 12:41:55

These tables are interesting.

varian Tue 08-Sep-20 13:11:44

It looks likely that higher numbers of cases are mostly amongst younger people who are less likely to be severely affected or die but are still infectious.

Also there is a at least a two or three week delay (sometimes much longer) between infection and serious illness leading to death. Most countries have only relaxed controls quite recently so it may be sometime before we can judge the effect.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Sep-20 09:05:25

Tim Harford on Radio 4 More or Less now, discussing the latest figures.

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 09:20:10

In England, there were more reported cases in 10-19 year olds over the two weeks up to 30 August than there were in any age group apart from 20-29 year olds and 30-39 year olds.

That was before 10-19 year olds were back in classrooms, where social distancing is not possible.

It's all very well "blaming" young people, but on the other hand they're being forced to behave in a way which isn't acceptable outside the school gates. Only a fool wouldn't be concerned.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:53:53

Obviously I'm a fool. I'm taking sensible steps to protect myself and those around me.
Imagine having the temerity to disagree with growstuff!!

Alegrias Wed 09-Sep-20 10:57:41

Rather good article on the BBC Website this morning. Those are words I never thought I'd write....but Nick Triggle seems to be pretty good at science reporting.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54064347

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 11:19:02

Jane10

Obviously I'm a fool. I'm taking sensible steps to protect myself and those around me.
Imagine having the temerity to disagree with growstuff!!

Jane don’t be upset. She even disagrees with me when I’m arguing the same point from the same viewpoint!

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 12:43:18

Yeah, she's a grumpy old git, that growstuff! grin

Actually, Jane10, you sound as though you are concerned. The fools are the ones who think it's all over and don't need to protect themselves and those around them ... and don't seem to think anybody else matters either.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:13:30

I'm not nearly as concerned as (some) others. The situation is more complex than just a reported rise in numbers conveys. Overreaction doesn't help the bigger picture.

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 13:24:39

Who's talking about overreacting?

I'm sure if you had a slow leak under your sink, you'd be concerned and plan to do something about, without going into a blind panic. That's what I mean by being concerned. Unfortunately, I have seen too many examples on social media of people making excuses for the rise in cases and trying to explain them away as some kind of statistical aberration.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:36:37

And I've seen doom and gloom and headless chickening going on too- all based on social media interpretation of whats going on.

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 15:52:12

Jane10

And I've seen doom and gloom and headless chickening going on too- all based on social media interpretation of whats going on.

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:55:53

growstuff

MayBee70

I find it rather irritating that it’s assumed that, because I’m taking Covid very seriously and am very concerned about the next few months I’m imprisoning myself in my home wailing and moaning and having a miserable time. Within the safeguards of me shielding myself as much as possible I’m having quite pleasant time and am feeling quite empowered and positive most of the time. I do get very angry at people not taking it seriously though.

You've explained very well how I feel too.

I feel more positive when I can control my life after knowing facts rather than feeling that I'm being fobbed off with fake optimism and cheerleading, which is how I feel when I listen to some of the government's spin.

Me to?

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 15:59:18

Whose facts are correct though?

JenniferEccles Wed 09-Sep-20 16:06:32

To my mind the economy is an absolute priority still, despite the recent rise in cases. I am hopeful that the government will do all it can to avoid doing anything to harm the recovery.

Of course I realise they have to ensure that hospital admissions don’t rise too much, but if the vulnerable can still be protected, the rest of the country can continue with their lives to prevent us slipping into a devastating recession.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:08:04

JenniferEccles

To my mind the economy is an absolute priority still, despite the recent rise in cases. I am hopeful that the government will do all it can to avoid doing anything to harm the recovery.

Of course I realise they have to ensure that hospital admissions don’t rise too much, but if the vulnerable can still be protected, the rest of the country can continue with their lives to prevent us slipping into a devastating recession.

We are already in a devastating recession and about to compound it.

JenniferEccles Wed 09-Sep-20 17:11:32

All the more reason then to try to guard against it getting worse.

I’m sure we all understand what a difficult balancing act it is to protect both lives and livelihoods, but another lockdown would impact on younger people in particular for decades, wouldn’t it ?

MerylStreep Wed 09-Sep-20 17:54:31

I find it amusing/puzzling that some posters believe they are controlling their lives.

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 18:03:00

MerylStreep

I find it amusing/puzzling that some posters believe they are controlling their lives.

There are always degrees of control.

Unless somebody wants to live completely off-grid and shun society, there will always be some control and even then there are laws of nature which can't be avoided, but an individual is also free to make choices within those constraints.

Why do you find it so amusing?

growstuff Wed 09-Sep-20 18:09:05

Jane10

Whose facts are correct though?

All facts are correct, if they are indeed facts. The more facts one has, the more they can be put in context. What are not factual are the constant claims of having world-beating systems, vague promises that it will all be over by Christmas or that we're just one step away from a vaccine, silly "motivational" pep talks, nor are the constant avoidance of answering questions directly and denying responsibility.

MayBee70 Wed 09-Sep-20 18:23:51

The latest one mentioned by Johnson today (PMQT I think) was this instant Covid test that’s in the pipeline. Although no one knows when that will be available, certainly not the PM.