Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Protect Scotland Covid app launched

(99 Posts)
Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 19:06:28

This is for Scottish grans.

I was wondering how many people today, like me, have downloaded NHS Scotland’s new contact tracing app to help suppress the spread of coronavirus.

If you have, how successful do you think it will be?

Elizabeth1 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:04:27

I agree paddyanne. it will be a Success stay positive everyone have a good day hope the sunshine of yesterday appears soon.sunshine

Grandmabatty Mon 14-Sep-20 22:19:02

I downloaded the app really easily onto my rather old android phone. I was happy to do so to try and curtail the virus. I think the numbers who have downloaded it, have risen fairly quickly. I am not an SNP nor NS fan but can see the sense in what has been said. There appears to be a high degree of compliance in wearing masks for example, although social distancing is patchy. Perhaps people are becoming complacent? Marydoll I think the app will be successful.

mcem Mon 14-Sep-20 21:57:19

So it's 'older' people in Scotland who vote NO and don't support the move to independence.
Well you're wrong as far as this 'older person' is concerned.
That also goes for my sister (70) my daughter (46) my son (34) and my granddaughters (22 and 20) all of whom agree with me.
Fairly intergenerational I 'd say!

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 12:34:49

Sweden's daily updates were given by their state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. The leader of their opposition party accused their PM of hiding behind the country's health experts. There's problems with all systems.

Elegran Mon 14-Sep-20 11:22:47

Or boasts of having world-beating test-and-trace systems which then prove not to work, or of having millions of PPE ordered which turn out to be substandard, or to have been ordered from chums of the cabinet who are not in fact manufacturers of the product.

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 10:04:25

In which case there should be no hints of oneupmanship.

Elegran Mon 14-Sep-20 09:57:39

Daily updates should be given by the PM or the FM. They are the leaders of their respective countries and ultimately in charge of health matters. They have expert advisors, of course, whose contributions must be acknowledged, but the buck stops with them, and they should be seen to be taking the responsibility.

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 09:47:14

thats ONE up on Boris at least

But that is not what this is all about.
Perhaps that is why the daily update should be given by someone other than a politician with an additional item on the agenda.

Lollypolly Mon 14-Sep-20 08:52:01

Well said paddyane, with you 100% I downloaded the app. My son works in IT in large financial company and he also downloaded it. Said it was safe! Also very very disappointed with BBC but not unexpected. Will cancel my licence now and no longer watch BBC.

paddyanne Sun 13-Sep-20 23:01:39

well lets face it thats ONE up on Boris at least !She answers questions daily for Pressitutes who are TRYING to make it political and usually manages to sideswipe them .She has always said the pandemic is the only important thing when she's on the podium .SHE sticks to it its the clowns who ask the questions who try to make it political .
YES I am a fan ,YES I will vote for Independence ,NO I dont believe ANY of the too wee too poor rubbish that eminates from WM and has done for decades .
There are many countries now who gained Independence from WM who were told they were too poor to manage without ENglands money ....India amongst them.While publishing a deficit for India year after year WM was quietly stealing 45 TRILLION POUNDS from them. Think oil ,thats oil that paid for Londons transformation e.g Canary Wharf ....a familiar story? Oil that is legally ours!
WHY would anyone believe a word they say?
IF we cost them 14billion a year why on earth are they so desperate to hang on to us ? This is a government that wont pay for a spare room for someone who needs it for medical equipment or a carer .

Jane10 Sun 13-Sep-20 21:51:39

She can stand up and talk to a microphone. Whoopee!

Alegrias Sun 13-Sep-20 19:02:05

The BBC Scotland broadcasts did end up just an SNP party political broadcast.

They didn't stewaris, they really didn't. I'd love to watch one of the briefings with people who have this view and ask them to tell me when the political bit starts. I think it could be that NS demonstrates leadership during these broadcasts and nobody in the other parties can match that, so of course she has an advantage. Its not party political, she actually is just better at her job than the other guys.

Elizabeth1 Sun 13-Sep-20 17:18:57

My husband downloaded the app both on his phone and mine without any problem whatsoever and we believe it’ll be a good thing to catch the virus from spreading

stewaris Sun 13-Sep-20 17:11:45

Paddyanne totally disagree with you. The BBC Scotland broadcasts did end up just an SNP party political broadcast. There are so many things the Scottish Government has done completely wrong it beggars belief that people still support them. The worst being telling the NHS to clear the beds at the start of the pandemic by sending older people to care homes without testing. Deaths in care homes were/are almost 50% of the total from Scotland. On another note, I won't be downloading the app. There are questions over whether Google, it's on a Google platform, is secure enough and if it can safeguard your personal data and I do comply with all the guidelines as my son is now one of the covid long haulers. Six and a half months in and still not recovered.

Alegrias Sun 13-Sep-20 11:18:07

That is an excellent post Elegran

Elegran Sun 13-Sep-20 11:14:28

When the Covid threat recedes, we will look back on Ms Sturgeon's daily reviews with nostalhgia for the year when the SNP turned the nation's attention to conquering the virus, and soft-pedalled Independence and Nationalism for a while.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Uk will be looking back on the reviews coming out of Westminster with nostalgia for the time before Covid, Brexit etc, when they believed they could trust their government.

Alegrias Sun 13-Sep-20 11:05:48

Hi OmaforMaya I disagree entirely with your post but support your right to make it!

You might want to have a look at the "Scottish Government Briefings...." thread on the News and Politics section, where we have been having a heated debate on just this topic!

OmaforMaya Sun 13-Sep-20 10:58:11

paddyanne

The track and trace thing has been working well.Over 98% of people traced so I think this should be a welcome addition.Its younger folk who it will target and most will download it .
On another point I am livid that the BBC have decided to stop Nicola's briefings being shown .The BBC ..Scotland obviously isn't FOR scottish people at all and is run from WM .This was a lifeline for many older folk who like to be informed .They may have shot themselves in the foot !

I am extremely happy that BBC have curtailed Nicola Sturgeon's daily political ....rather than Covid broadcasts. She does not keep her talks to Covid matters but for many weeks has been using these broadcasts to promote her part SNP. So yes I for one am happy with the BBC decision. I just wish STV would do the same. She has an unfair advantage with our Scottish election coming up next year. I am proud of being a UK citizen but very very ashamed at this present time of being Scottish because of the way her and her Party have portrayed the Scottish people. She hates the UK Government and tbe UK Prime Minister and all things English. Older folk here in Scotland are the ones for whom she has the least care and respect because they are the ones who say NO to her claim for Independence. I make no apology for this post and I realise it is probably on the wrong thread but I feel strongly about my UK citizen ship being taken from me.

Nusgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 22:46:26

How anyone can say Nicola Sturgeon used the briefings for political purposes is beyond me. Unlike the useless bunch of clowns in England she actually seems to care. If you lived in England you would really appreciate her, we wish she was our PM. We will happily swop our , lying, rule breaking, lacking in empathy bunch who make things up, pay their friends for equipment/advice etc which never happens for Nicola Sturgeon.

Dianehillbilly1957 Sat 12-Sep-20 16:58:08

Downloaded it, anything to crush Covid!

parkersheen Sat 12-Sep-20 16:39:37

I have downloaded the app. I see no reason why not to.
I too am annoyed but not surprised that the Tory controlled BBC has scrapped Nicola Sturgeon's excellent daily briefings. She has fronted these every single day since lockdown began - never sending anyone to stand in for her - speaking and delivering updates and answering questions clearly and efficiently. She has made Boris Johnston look foolish with his bumbling and non-appearances and I believe that is why the BBC have decided (or rather been told) to stop the daily programmes. There is a petition on Change.org to voice your concerns over this unfair decision:
www.change.org/p/bbc-scotland-reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-stop-broadcasting-the-scottish-government-s-daily-briefing?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=0361e4b0-f411-11ea-94af-3170b6f4bd83&utm_content=fht-24621286-en-gb%3A1

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-20 16:36:46

I do follow the guidelines which, amazingly, I pick up without watching Nicola, but don't plan to download the app. ?

Wendy Sat 12-Sep-20 16:14:45

I should say I am in England

Wendy Sat 12-Sep-20 16:12:37

As a GoodSam volunteer I have the NHS Covid-19 app on my iPhone. It works in the background. It will be better when more people have it. So far I haven’t been near anyone with Covid.

Celeste22 Sat 12-Sep-20 16:06:01

I agree with Marydoll that the people who won't download it, are the people who don't bother about the guidelines anyway. Poor Nicola Sturgeon looks exhausted. She has been working so hard to try and get us clear of this horrible virus