Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dido says that no-one prediced the rise in requests for testing. Really?

(95 Posts)
Trisha57 Thu 17-Sep-20 22:25:06

Just listened to Dido on the news. Can't beliieve that, with schools and workplaces going back to near "normal", restictions being relieved overall and pubs and restauraunts being reopend that no-one in Government predicted the rise in requwst for tests. Can this government not use their common sense and make plans in time?!

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 22:47:26

Cummings knows where the bodies ate buried...

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 22:44:46

He’s paid by us

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 22:37:40

He's not part of the civil service. He's a special advisor appointed by Johnson.

Curlygirl Fri 18-Sep-20 22:32:02

I don’t understand why Dominic Cummings carries such power. Sadly enough poor misguided souls voted Johnson, Hancock and co into power but Dominic Cummings was never voted for. Is he part of the Civil Service or just appointed by Boris Johnson. It is one thing to have an advisor but he seems to be the person calling the tune. At times like this as in the Second World War we need a coalition government to ensure the decisions that are made are not politically motivated.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 22:18:47

Do we laugh or sob?

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 22:05:40

I posted this on another thread but I’ll do it again

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 21:39:44

???

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 21:30:28

I agree varian Johnson makes no decisions at all but we are all supposed to pretend he is PM ????

varian Fri 18-Sep-20 20:41:36

But is it Boris who makes these appointments?

Cummings spent three years in Russia and all of his subsequent actions seem to be tailored to advance Putin's agenda of weakening the West, firstly by taking the UK out of the EU, then by destroying the UK by promoting incompetent politicians and their brexit friends, no matter how unqualified to positions which they are obviously unable to fulfill.

What hold does this man have on Boris Johnson?

trisher Fri 18-Sep-20 20:03:59

M0nica if it wasn't so dreadful it might be funny.

M0nica Fri 18-Sep-20 14:45:55

Trisher you think you may be joking but I have seen this seriously discussed, Boris's deliberate habit of appointing people less able than him to jobs around him so that he can shine - except of course, if everyone around you is not up to the job. Their failures reflect your incompetence, that you appointed them. hence the number of people in cabinet with sloping shoulders, 'whatever it is it is not my fault its him/her over there.'

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 14:21:36

suziewoozie

Gill could it be because the aim is complete privatisation of the NHS?

I'm afraid I'm not giving you a Sherlock Holmes Award for detection for guessing that. wink

It's already happening under our noses. I wonder how any people realise how many organisations carrying the NHS logo aren't operated by the NHS at all. GP surgeries will be the next to go. Babylon Health have already started.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 14:17:06

Gill could it be because the aim is complete privatisation of the NHS?

GillT57 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:57:50

Why do companies like Serco keep getting awarded contracts when they fail time after time after time? Could it be because they pay minimum wage to poorly trained staff? Could it be because the CEO is Rupert Soames?

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 13:17:25

Callistemon

Oh dear.

I could whisper loudly.

Semaphore?

Mobile phone?

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 12:57:44

Oh dear.

I could whisper loudly.

Semaphore?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 12:12:14

You mustn’t shout??? aerosol!!

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 12:09:09

Daisymae

Lucca - surely people can just book adjoining tables? People could at least wave at each other.

I thought mingling would be old-fashioned hugging and air kissing (so passé now).
Or something like dancing Strip the Willow! Very mingled.

Shouting across to a table 3 metres away is not what I'd call mingling.

trisher Fri 18-Sep-20 12:03:15

Should we have a new law- Boris's Law of Preserving your Image- "Only appoint to positions of authority those you know are less competent than you".

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 11:55:50

EV that flaming useless woman was gifted the job by a flaming useless man. QED.

Daisymae Fri 18-Sep-20 11:21:04

Is it because the government are determined to be maverick and ignore expert advice, or any advice if it contradicts their 'gut' feeling?

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:20:50

Daisymae

Lucca - surely people can just book adjoining tables? People could at least wave at each other.

I think Pritti Patel would count that as 'mingling' and send in the police armed with their new, super strength lasers to get you.. ?

Daisymae Fri 18-Sep-20 11:05:27

MaizieD Fri 18-Sep-20 11:03:45

At a slight tangent, but with regard to schools going back, and everyone now nodding their wise old heads and saying it was predictable that it would contribute to a rise in cases, I recall that the teachers who tried to point out the dangers and difficulties were mocked and scorned and accused of being workshy, yes, even by some of the wise old heads on Gnet.

'The Unions' were demonised of course...

I'd also note that Starmer had offered several times to engage with the government in helping to plan a safe return to schools (it came up in PMQs several weeks running) and, as with many offers of help to the government during this crisis from interested parties in many different fields, such as supply of PPE, supply of ventilators, processing of C19 tests, the offer was ignored.

Now, of course, we also know that advice from the scientists to prepare for an upsurge in cases was also determinedly ignored...

Just saying...

Daisymae Fri 18-Sep-20 11:01:37

I said as much to my husband a month ago and I am no scientist. This situation is entirely predictable. The Times today is leading with a story about the inefficiency of the labs. Dr Robinson, inventor of genotyping used in billions of tests, is quoted as saying that testing is dying on its arse. They have had the summer to get automated but it has not happened. What is tragic is that Harding considers this is a great job. Where do they go from here? Lockdown is where, but that's not a solution.