Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

NHS Covid 19 Track & Trace app now available

(210 Posts)
Willow500 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:26:19

I've just downloaded it. Let's hope enough people do the same to try and get the virus back under control.

Alegrias Wed 30-Sep-20 20:55:03

If we are all supposed to be able to use the App, then why not bring in something that all mobile phone users can access

Oopsadaisy4, if you really want an answer to that, read the thread!

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 20:52:53

I don't even understand all the phone talk, to be honest.

I've never been interested, beyond the most basic functions.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 30-Sep-20 20:46:15

Granny , no updates are done automatically , the app only works on phones after iPhone 6. Last update was last week
If we are all supposed to be able to use the App, then why not bring in something that all mobile phone users can access?

Alegrias Wed 30-Sep-20 20:43:15

oopsadaisy4, MissAdventure et al - there's a whole discussion on the first few pages of this thread about what phones this works on, etc. Much as we'd like to blame him, its really not Mr Hancock's fault this time smile

Grannynannywanny Wed 30-Sep-20 19:06:57

Oopsadaisy4 is it possible you might be overdue doing a software update on your phone? That might fix the issue for you if you haven’t done an update in a while.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 18:38:27

I'm sure my Samsung is a lot older than that, but it did accept it.
Is it different for different makes?

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:34:41

Our iphone6 is just 3 years old and will not accept the NHS track and trace, as we can’t afford a new phone, we can’t use this.

Well done Mr Hancock

MadeInYorkshire Tue 29-Sep-20 10:56:16

I haven't read all of the above, but I would think a problem may exist with a lot of the older generation either not having mobiles or certainly not having the complicated ones?

Have only fairly recently got my Mum to have one she keeps it on the side in the kitchen, not on her!

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 10:52:35

My battery is fine with it on 24/7

annodomini Tue 29-Sep-20 10:50:22

Battery drain is not 'minimal' if you forget (as I did) to turn off the tracing when you don't need it. I found my battery almost flat this morning. I will turn tracing back on when I go out later today.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:28:44

You can turn the tracing off and on with an option to remind you to put it on again. I turned mine off yesterday as I haven’t been going anywhere and had no visitors. Put it on today and will definitely have it on when going shopping etc.

B9exchange Tue 29-Sep-20 10:23:30

Just keep an eye out for any 'upgrades' This is from the British Computer Society

A planned development to the NHS Contact Tracing app which will score users’ lifestyles for COVID-19 risk is ‘alarming’ and needs clarity, software testers have warned.

Adam Leon Smith, a Fellow of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT said: “Comments from the developers about their plans to provide information to individuals about ‘how risky their life is’ based on Bluetooth contacts are alarming.

Read more in The Guardian: www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/sep/25/coronavirus-uk-live-rishi-sunak-students-cases-covid-crisis-scotland-updates?page=with:block-5f6dff468f08fb54b66a67d4

pollyperkins Tue 29-Sep-20 09:46:38

Mine is working fine after a shaky start when I did it wrong because told yo by girl on the door.
However I assume that it relies on you getting a test if you have symptoms and downloading results onto the app?

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:58:45

I had a shocking experience when out on a works "do" years ago.

My bluetooth was on, and a video was sent to me that I was NOT expecting!!
Put me right off me turkey platter.

B9exchange Mon 28-Sep-20 23:54:37

Battery drain is supposed to be minimal. My concerns are over its reliance on bluetooth to detect the 2 metre distance, it is not reliable enough to do that.

inews.co.uk/news/technology/nhs-app-covid-track-and-trace-bluetooth-reliability-distance-problems-explained-657609

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:45:51

I'm concerned about data usage.
That stuff can get eaten up very quickly, and mine isn't unlimited.

Has anyone any idea if it drains data/battery, please?

rozina Mon 28-Sep-20 15:40:31

I should add I'm 72 with an iphone. The App can't be put, apparently, on any phone over 5 years old.

rozina Mon 28-Sep-20 15:38:59

I downloaded the App last Wednesday, very simple to do and use. However when I went to Carluccio's last Saturday they didn't have the NHS QR Poster to scan, so the registering of details there was done manually by taking just name and phone number.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 13:39:52

Problem is those most at risk of dying or getting seriously ill from Covid are older people, and statistically (not including those on GN ?) are the ones who are least likely to have/use up to date smart phones.

I havent downloaded and looking at the algorithm they are using, I will not be in contact with people, I don’t know well, for the required length of time. Sad I know, living such a sheltered life.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 08:23:58

When they get the testing up to speed then this app could be useful but at the moment it’s totally pointless I see no value in it as you could pass someone with CV a dozen times a week and not pick it up without a quick test and quick result it would have no value apart from keeping you off work and from earning for days or weeks
I think if the elderly who are not working feel more secure with it on their phones then it’s doing it’s job judging by the posts on here
I will put it on my phone when I know it’s of value I m certainly not against it and have no worries about security and like everyone I m wanting to find any way possible to lower this Virus I just see nothing coming out of this but another big muddle
Mrs Rochester that is exactly my point my friend a care worker gets a weekly test but the results don’t come back until she is waiting for her second weeks test what complete and utter nonsense she could be working for 6 days with the virus The testing and results need urgent change this is just a sticking plaster to look like something wonderful is being done

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 07:23:19

It appears the problem with the app has been fixed.

MrsRochester Sun 27-Sep-20 20:37:50

growstuff

“ There must be thousands of people who have recovered before they even managed to get a test.”

That’s the real scandal. Someone who manages several care homes was talking on Radio 4 yesterday about the issues around testing her staff. They are being tested weekly. Excellent, one would think, but they are currently taking the next test before they have even received the result of the previous week’s.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 27-Sep-20 13:39:44

Very true growstuff. Those who follow Dr John Campbell on the COVID-19 Symptom Checker App, will have been horrified with the stats he showed about non compliance. Many who are contacted do not isolate, and some people are even unaware of what the symptoms are of COVID-19 in order to get a test!

One shocking thing was, that amongst those who do not self isolate, were Key Workers. It’s easy to be judgmental but there can of course be financial reasons why some do not do so if it’s a choice between feeding the family, or going to work whilst at risk.

The best Track & Trace App in the world will not work if people do not/cannot comply.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Sep-20 13:31:37

The other issue is it’s geographical locationing (is that a word?!)

What I mean is that it’s not very good at identifying an individuals position in relation to others.

growstuff Sun 27-Sep-20 13:30:31

www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/nhs-covid-19-app-explainer