Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I holiday?

(77 Posts)
Silverlady79 Mon 28-Sep-20 17:54:22

We are due to travel on Friday from a fairly safe area ...Wiltshire, Where we have been ultra responsible... to an area that is within 20 miles of what appears to be an unsafe area.

We are staying on the North Yorkshire moors in a fairly isolated place but I am worried. Should we go? We will be able to do anything without fear? We plan to do a little bit of horseriding and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, James Herriot museum ... and I think that is all out the question now. I really would appreciate some advice but I do know that it is our decision... it’s just a very hard decision. I think we stand to lose a lot of money if we don’t go but what the heck. There appears to be no insurance because of when we booked it. Thankyou for reading this!

farview Sat 03-Oct-20 12:25:53

Well weve been really careful all through lockdown...but I'm hoping (praying) to go to Dubai for Christmas...see grandson 2 who I haven't seen since he was 3weeks old in January and share grandson 2's 4th birthday on boxing day...if we have to quarantine on return that's not a problem...

Antonia Fri 02-Oct-20 21:54:33

Everyone has to assess their own situation of course, but I wouldn't go anywhere just yet. Not with cases rising as they are. The sole 'trip' DH and I have made was to the local garden centre, and because we haven't been anywhere for so long, it felt like excitement!

annsixty Fri 02-Oct-20 21:41:11

Cyprus of course.

annsixty Fri 02-Oct-20 21:40:37

We have been in lockdown again for a week now and my friend who went away with her family for a week when we were in lockdown last time has just told me they are all, 5, of them going to Cypres for a week in 3 weeks time.
That is fine ,if they choose to fly, I wouldn’t, but that is just me.

What I find completely out if order though is, they all have to have Covid test, a week before they travel.

So after that, 2 adults will be going to work, one teaching in a school and two teens will be going to school on public transport.

Where is the sense in that?

M0nica Thu 01-Oct-20 11:15:53

Just spent a very pleasant 5 days in Ludlow. As we drove round the area we went in and out of Wales. We even had a walk around and a very nice lunch in one small Welsh town. There were no tumbrils being driven round with some one shouting 'Bring out your dead'. In fact the natives looked healthy and were very pleasant. We took all possible precautions, hazmat suits and independent breathing apparatus and when we got back into England, stripped down, burnt everything we were wearing and wiped ourselves over with caustic soda.

Actually we wore masks and I wore gloves, those alcohol based hand sterilisers play merry hell with my skin. We were staying at a friend's house and we trust her and her cleaner. We ate out every day and loaded up with game, cheese and delicious Indian street food from local shops and the market before we travelled home.

We are home safe and well, so far and off to visit DD tomorrow, she is part of our bubble and, like us, lives in a low COVID incidence area.

Just remember you are currently more likely to die of a stroke, heart attack or flu than you are of COVID. Not to mention the dangers of the drive to your holiday destination and driving around while there.

So enjoy a holiday in Britain while the good weather lasts.

I am not cavalier about the risks, I assess them carefully for each situation I am in, but I reckon I am more at risk in my local town centre than away on holiday - and even the risk in my town centre is minimal.

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 21:13:22

Cabbie21

I think that’s a bit different. If it were my holiday cottage, adjacent to our hone, I would take enormous pride and clean it to probably a higher standard than our house.
I know from personal experience though that a lick and a spit is much more usual practice. The common allowance for a 2/3 bed holiday let with many agencies who organise cleaning for absentee owners is 1 hour (and this is in SW hotspots where people are paying upwards of £1,500 pw in summer season for a small house.) I had to argue for 3 hours with our 6 bed, 4 bath 3 storey.
“Housekeepers” are commonly expected to get through 4/5 properties on changeover day.
Would strongly urge anyone staying at a let during these strange times to take your antiviral spray and wipes with you and give it a good going over before you relax.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 20:00:26

We should have been on holiday in the U.K. this week.

We didn’t go. The more we thought about it the less we could justify it.

Let’s all look forward to a time when it will all be over??. If we aren’t dead??

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sep-20 19:26:33

MawB2 agree and having posted here OP obviously has doubts

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 19:14:01

Who can decide but you, yourself OP
You will hear arguments for and against but at the end of the day you have got to do what you feel is right.

Cabbie21 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:12:15

My daughter runs a holiday cottage next door to her house in a rural village, low risk area. She has recently been inspected and was complimented for more than fulfilling all the Covid safe regulations. The idea that cleaning can be done in an hour between lets is far from the truth. She is very thorough, cleaning then sanitising. Her guests are invited to bring their own pillows and duvets if they wish, some do, others don’t.

Unfortunately with the recent new restrictions in the north east, three of her autumn bookings have cancelled, as they cannot travel out of their area.

I reckon that if a cottage is in a rural area not in lockdown that it will be safer than a hotel. No need to eat out or mix with others, pick and choose your activities.

Having said all that, my husband won’t consider going anywhere now, though I would love a change of scene, but he has underlying health conditions, so he has decided to stay at home.

Pantglas2 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:04:02

I know Mrs Rochester! The irony being that anyone can come from England this weekend to walk up Snowdon - but I can’t!

MrsRochester Tue 29-Sep-20 22:37:53

Wales ?

MrsRochester Tue 29-Sep-20 22:37:40

Today 20:01 Pantglas2

North Wales pretty much all on lockdown from Thursday 1800hrs. Only Gwynedd and Anglesey free (at the moment) but you can’t get there easily without travel through t’other counties.....“

First Minister has appealed to people from England not to holiday in Wakes.

MrsRochester Tue 29-Sep-20 22:36:24

We won’t be going anywhere until this is over, vaccine or better treatments. Would be very nervous about staying in a cottage that has probably been cleaned for an hour between guests.

Its one year ?‍♀️

Barmeyoldbat Tue 29-Sep-20 20:49:07

We went to the North Devon Coast, the week before last, self catering but on a resort. We didn't use the the swimming pool or any of the facilities. We just went out and enjoyed the lovely countryside, keeping ourselves to ourselves. It was a lovely break for a a week and we have decided to back mid October for another go. Just be sensible.

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Sep-20 20:01:57

North Wales pretty much all on lockdown from Thursday 1800hrs. Only Gwynedd and Anglesey free (at the moment) but you can’t get there easily without travel through t’other counties.....

Nodj Tue 29-Sep-20 19:43:49

Totally agree!

BlueSky Tue 29-Sep-20 17:50:51

A lot of areas are back in lockdown so go before the choice is taken away from you!

harrigran Tue 29-Sep-20 17:46:41

We are in lockdown again so my answer would be a resounding no unless you like playing Russian roulette.

Diggingdoris Tue 29-Sep-20 17:44:38

We are half way through a week in a holiday cottage in rural Suffolk and feel very safe. We are going for drives/walks, doing our own meals, apart from a fish and chip takeaway. We have booked a pub meal for tonight where they have strict covid rules, so that is about as daring as we care to be. After three years without a holiday and six months of isolation we needed a break.
So the decision is yours, but give it some consideration.

Sawsage2 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:39:58

I've just come back from a weeks holiday touring
in Wales,staying in hotels. it was lovely. Just use mask and sanitizer and enjoy yourselves.

TerriBull Tue 29-Sep-20 16:23:59

We thought long and hard about going away, having cancelled all our holiday arrangements for this year, two involving flights. We opted for a week in Devon, after the main August rush, luckily picking a fantastic week weather wise earlier this month. The hotel we stayed at was really stringent as to the safety provisions they had put in place, we still took our own cleaning materials and pillows. Again, we were really careful when eating out. Most of us, on GN are from an older demographic and are doing our best to be super cautious and careful and you sound as if you fit that description OP. We are all going to have to live with this virus possibly for a while and life has to carry on to a certain extent, I dread the thought of businesses collapsing around our ears almost as much as the virus itself.

I wish you a lovely holiday if you do decide to travel.

LadyStardust Tue 29-Sep-20 16:16:26

We went on the NYMR last month and they are extremely covid aware. There were one way systems in place all over the station, social distancing was good and plenty of hand sanitiser available. The seating on the train was safe, and you have your own booked seats for both journeys. Masks were worn in the station and on the journey. Currently, it only runs from Pickering to Whitby (and back again) with no stops. We were a little concerned about Whitby, but stayed away from the busy centre and had a lovely walk on a fairly empty beach. You don't spent long there anyway. It's such a dilemma isn't it? But our mental health needs some TLC right now, so I think I would go for it! Just wash/sanitise hands, wear your mask and keep your distance from others.

M0nica Tue 29-Sep-20 15:55:16

There is absolutely no reason why you should worry about being within 20 miles of an 'unsafe' area. What are you expecting? To be invaded every day by hundreds of people without masks and breathing on their hands while singing loudly?

We are currently on holiday in Shropshire, accordingto today's paper a medium risk area. Where we live is a low risk area and really our COVID presence at home is very low indeed. We are going out and about, visiting small towns walking roung large antiques emporia and eating out in quiet pubs and restaurants. We wear masks and I wear gloves. I reckon I am far more likely to get COVID at home when doing my weekly shop than I am here in Ludlow. browsing the shops and eating out.

Cabbie21 Tue 29-Sep-20 15:07:25

If you are in good health I would go. North Yorkshire is vast, so if you like walking you could walk on the hills all day and not see another soul. Avoid busy places. Lots of abbeys to visit where people can be well spread out.