Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Testing--nose and throat swabs for 12 months.

(9 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 07-Oct-20 10:48:25

Has anyone received leaflets/letter from the " Office for National Statistics " through the post ?
I have just got a number of leaflets, in the one large envelope, explaining what the testing is all about. A team makes monthly visits to the home to take swabs of nose and throat and each visit is worth a £25 voucher, with the initial visit yielding a £50 voucher. It's all done in the name of research and information is on-www.ons.gov.uk/cis.

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 15:14:37

Sounds interesting and as though it will provide useful data. You're honoured - only 11,000 have been selected.

Curlywhirly Wed 07-Oct-20 15:24:36

Yes, we have. Got a call yesterday to say that they will probably visit Thur/Fri to give us the tests and fill in a questionnare.

silverlining48 Wed 07-Oct-20 16:29:59

We had our invitation over 4 weeks ago and i contacted them to say we wanted to help. Heard nothing more since so phoned them again. After some faffing an appointment was made for a first visit this weekend.
On Arrival he thought we had already had our initial longer visit so was a bit upset as this caused him to be late for his next appointment.
I was stressed about how the swab test would go as i gag easily, and all this didn't help.
So not a great start but will see how things go.

varian Wed 07-Oct-20 16:38:55

We replied to our invitation saying yes about four or five weeks ago and have heard nothing since.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 16:39:24

No I haven’t but no I wouldn’t join in I don’t think anything that needs a £25 voucher (Voucher for what?) as an incentive sounds iffy to me
What is it to prove or disprove? It sounds like duplicate information and a very small demographic are being used

varian Wed 07-Oct-20 16:47:19

Huge expansion of ONS-led testing study will provide new insight into spread of COVID-19 across the UK. Office for National Statistics (ONS) to significantly expand infection survey to enrol 400,000 people in England, making it the country’s largest study tracking the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the general population.

New data will support rapid testing and diagnosis of COVID-19 on a national and local level, helping to narrow down the areas of concern.

Survey coverage now includes Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England after successful pilot. The ONS COVID-19 Infection Survey, tracking the virus in the general population, will expand from regularly testing 28,000 people per fortnight in England to 150,000 by October, the Health Secretary announces today. The survey aims to increase to 400,000 people across the entire project in England.

The ONS has also partnered with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to extend the survey across the four nations – making this the UK’s largest COVID-19 surveillance survey.

The expanded study will play a crucial role in providing extensive, weekly data on the spread of infection, supporting rapid testing and diagnosis of COVID-19 both nationally and in areas of concern. The ONS will prioritise ramping up in the North West of England and London in light of recent upticks in infection rates in these areas.

Letters have already been sent out to tens of thousands of homes inviting new participants to take part in the survey. Anyone who receives a letter asking them to participate in the study is encouraged to do so.

www.ons.gov.uk/news/news/newinsightintocovid19tobegainedfromhugeboosttonationaltestingstudyledbytheofficefornationalstatistics

There is nothing "iffy" about the ONS BB and 400,000 is hardly a small sample.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 16:51:44

Someone above said 11.000 Varian which I was answering

growstuff Wed 07-Oct-20 17:53:40

BlueBelle

Someone above said 11.000 Varian which I was answering

"Someone" was me. The official ONS site says the initial study will involve 11,000 before being rolled out to larger numbers.

It sounds very worthwhile. The ONS statistics have consistently been very reliable.

The "NHS" statistics don't give a full picture for all sorts of reasons.