Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone give clarification

(13 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 09-Oct-20 08:47:04

Now I know clarification is the last thing most people have but here’s a scenario if someone call him Mr J is self isolating because a close family member (not a lived with family member) has Covid shouldn’t Mr J s wife be self isolating too and saying we re staying away from each other and staying in separate parts of the house just not cut the mustard ?? Or have I got this wrong and that is a valid point that Mrs J is making

aggie Fri 09-Oct-20 08:49:24

Sounds about as logical as most Covid things ..... sigh

Greyduster Fri 09-Oct-20 09:05:32

Surely if Mr J. has no symptoms, but is just self isolating because he was a contact of his non resident close family member, there is no need for them to stay in separate parts of the house. I thought that was for people actually suffering with the illness who were not hospitalised. But my understanding is that if he is self isolating, ill or not, his wife should be self isolating too? Or have I got it wrong?

PECS Fri 09-Oct-20 09:19:42

I would have thought that a complete household ought to isolate if one member of said household has been in contact with a person diagnosed with CV19. It would make sense for householders to socially distance from each other until quarantine period done. That is my " common sense" reading of the ever changing guidelines!

growstuff Fri 09-Oct-20 09:32:47

I know as much or as little as anybody, but from what I've heard and read on the government site, the household does not have to self-isolate, unless the family members starts to have symptoms.

Just over 100 pupils in my town have been sent home from school because they were in contact with confirmed cases. The pupils are self-isolating, but their families aren't.

A number of people on local Facebook groups have been having the same conversation as here. If all the families self-isolated, about 500 people of all generations would be involved. From what I can see, people are responding depending on their personal circumstances. Those at risk are staying away from the self-isolating pupils, even if they weren't before.

Grannynannywanny Fri 09-Oct-20 09:33:51

BlueBelle I was aware of a similar situation a few weeks ago in extended family. I had expected that the family of 4 would have to self isolate. But they were told that only the person who was a possible contact with the infected person had to remain home. Not in isolation from the rest of the household, just remain home. Then if they developed symptoms the rest of their household had also to remain home.

J52 Fri 09-Oct-20 10:15:18

The situation is not clear. 3 weeks ago I had a visit from family member, who later rested positive. I remained in complete isolation, alone in the house for 14 days. However, those who I met, outside, before track and trace texted me were not to isolate, unless I developed Covid. Which thankfully I did not.

PamelaJ1 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:18:23

I had a confused moment on Saturday.
3 hours evoke going to get my flu jab I got a call from a client.
She had had a pedicure on Thursday, she wore a mask, I wore a mask and visor. Did all the right things, taking temp, clean towels etc.
Turns out one of their farm workers had been taken to hospital and has the virus. She had only seen him outside but her son had been in closer contact and he had been in contact with his mum.
So, all of a sudden, my confidence in my precautions went out of the window. Had I done enough? Should I take myself off to the surgery for my injection?
Luckily I have a medic in the family who works for Public Health England and has the answers. No problem, I went.
My client and her son have tested negative.
We are in a low risk area and a man who works outside has it, he’s a grandad so not out partying, but his son works in hospitality so we presume he got it from a holiday maker.

PECS Fri 09-Oct-20 11:26:40

So it is ok for Jane who may, or may not, have Covid to mix with John her husband & Susie & Peter their kids. John can go to work with 20 colleagues and Susie to 6th form & Peter to high school. As it takes a while to incubate Covid they could all be carriers and spreaders.... no wonder numbers are rising...

BlueBelle Fri 09-Oct-20 13:05:23

Yes Grannynannywammy you are correct I have now had it confirmed the rest of the household do not have to isolate if the person in question is showing no symptoms
So there we have it folks
Mr J is showing no symptoms although he has been in contact with Covid and his wife does not have to isolate with him and she is in work !!! Ethically I think she should Isolate but she is following government rulings And doesn’t have to !!!
Beggars belief no wonder is doing the rounds still

Grannynannywanny Fri 09-Oct-20 14:59:49

It makes no sense to me BlueBelle. I only knew because the situation happened recently in my DIL’s family. I was taken aback that only her sister was isolating because she’d been in the company of someone who had tested positive. In the meantime the rest of her family went to school and work while she remained home. Thankfully all of them remained symptom free.

But the question screaming out to me is if her sister developed symptoms 3 days into her self isolation is it not highly likely her husband and 2 children are already incubating it while they carry on as normal in a large workplace and 2 schools ?‍♀️

AGAA4 Fri 09-Oct-20 16:06:47

Some of the rules seem to have no logic at all. The virus will continue to spread when they don't make sense.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Oct-20 16:12:43

Yes Grannynanny I m in the middle of this situation at the moment and I could not make sense of it at all but that’s what it says so that’s what being done and they have the gall to blame little school kids and uni students