Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Corona virus and school

(10 Posts)
collius Sun 18-Oct-20 18:07:31

I’ve been asked for advice and I really don’t know what to say. My DD is a single parent, her ex has nothing to do with her or his daughter. He has even banned his mother from contacting her.. My GD is 14 and 10 days ago a girl in her year group but not her class tested positive for corona. Consequently 90 pupils were sent home. My GDs class were not furloughed, but my DD kept her at home for a week. Now she has had emails from the school stating if she is not back at school tomorrow she is breaking the law and there will be consequences. My DDs concern is that if she gets the virus there is no one to look after her or her daughter especially if she is hospitalised. Also she was made redundant in May and has since set up her own business so catching the virus would be a disaster. My DGD has also had severe emotional problems stemming from a vitriolic divorce and her fathers total indifference, to the extent that her doctor and Cams are involved. The school are aware of this.
I don’t know what to say and I’m really worried about the situation. I would welcome any suggestions, there must be thousands of families facing similar situations.

Daisymae Sun 18-Oct-20 18:13:07

Obviously the decision remains with your DD, but I would think that the best course of action will be to follow the guidelines. This is going to be with us for a while yet and young people are much less susceptible to severe reactions. There's a need to keep calm and measured in our response for everyones long term well being. There's a case in my GD college and they are following advice.

GagaJo Sun 18-Oct-20 18:23:36

Phone the school. Tell them she is suffering from stress / anxiety, which is true. If need be, make a telephone doctor's appointment.

We all have to do what is best for us.

Namsnanny Sun 18-Oct-20 18:30:13

I can see your daughters pov.
It isnt really how your GD will fare with the virus (as the poster above said young people are in the best position of all of us), but if she were to pass it on to her Mum that could be difficult for the household.

I dont understand why the school is taking such a hard line.

But maybe try to get the school to pass on work for GD?

Sorry I would do what I thought was best for my family situation.

growstuff Sun 18-Oct-20 21:05:28

Schools have recently changed their practice.

Originally, they sent the whole "bubble" (ie year group in a secondary school) home, but it was getting out of hand because over 3000 schools now have confirmed infections.

Now the advice is only to send the handful of pupils home who have been within two metres of the infected pupil. Schools should have seating plans in place, so they know who the pupils are. If pupils have been following instructions on moving around the school, they shouldn't have been near other pupils.

In my local secondary school, pupils have now been instructed (not advised) to wear mask in classrooms. They obviously know how serious it's getting.

Headteachers have also been instructed to have quality online learning resources in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a U turn on schools very soon.

collius I would imagine your DD has had a generic email. Schools have to be seen to acting within the law.

Your DGD could wear a mask at school, make sure she keeps her distance as far as possible at school and at home.

ElaineI Sun 18-Oct-20 23:16:42

I think unless your DGD had contact with the pupil your DD should follow the policy of the area/school. If she is anxious then your DD should speak to the year head about it as I'm sure they have a lot of pupils anxious just now.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Oct-20 23:24:52

There has been one case at my grandsons school, but it hasn't closed.
W are assured by the headmaster that the individual has posed no risk to others.

We just have to take his word for it, even though I'm also without anyone to step in if I got ill.

It is a worry, but I would be more stressed by trying to ignore current rules.

Lucca Mon 19-Oct-20 06:18:05

Article in Sunday times about students not returning to school. At one point it says parents won’t be fined for missing school in the first half of term.

Lucca Mon 19-Oct-20 06:22:09

* I would imagine your DD has had a generic email. Schools have to be seen to acting within the law*
I agree. With the emotional issues your granddaughter has I’m sure school will be understanding, however this situation will keep cropping up so it would be good if she could be encouraged to stay in school.

Hetty58 Mon 19-Oct-20 06:53:17

collius, your daughter knows your granddaughter best, so I'd leave her to decide what to do.

If you're in the UK, though, with half term this coming week and/or the following week, it would seem to make sense to plan a return after the break.

A sick note should suffice to explain the absence.

Your daughter needs to present as calm and confident, though, or she will just add to her daughter's anxieties. She would be wise to keep her worries about catching Covid to herself. It won't be going away any time soon!