Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Family Rift RE:Covid

(56 Posts)
Meg54 Tue 27-Oct-20 15:02:34

Mum is elderly with complicated medical issues, and was sheltered during initial outbreak 0f Covid.

Sister A (Anna) lives with her, but has a full time demanding job as a care worker in a major hospital.

Sister B (Brenda) lives alone, about 1/2 hour drive from Mum, has a full time job, currently (mostly) working from home.

We are at loggerheads over the government guidelines as to what is allowable at Mums.
Sister B thinks she is allowed to stay at Mum's, and to take her out sociably to lunch, shop etc, and to have her stay at her home, as Mum is part of her bubble.

As Mum and I are in Tier 2, I think sister B (Tier 3) is not part of her bubble, as Mum is not a single household, she has sister A living with her, and cannot visit outside her household.
A is not classed as Mum's carer, as she works over 40 hours a week, so technically is a co-habitee.
This has caused a massive row.
If anyone can shine a light I would be grateful

PS. Mum is sublimely disinterested - as far as she has company she is happy.

Bu this is causing major fallouts between the rest of the family.

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:57:30

This has turned into one of the " Cant Be Ar**d situations as on a different thread.grin

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:53:37

Petra- do you mean 'life of Brian?'

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:48:55

Or can mum stay with you , as your in tier 2? Or do you not wish her to? It sounds to me more like a sibling rivalry issue than a genuine covid safety issue?

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:44:19

Nothing scares me, im a yorkshirewoman! (well, maybe the covid 19 situation,? but nothing/no one else)

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:38:44

Is it possible for your mum to go stay at sister B's home for awhile? At least for as long as they both wish? Would seem safest option for mum.Also, i may have missed it, but where do you fit in sister C, as just a visitor? I guess if your mum moved to live with sister B you and sister A could just do as we are all doing, and go by ' tier ruling' as regards visits etc.or rely on skype/facetime/phone calls etc.hmm

Namsnanny Thu 29-Oct-20 10:49:56

Ankle boots? Plimsoles? Onesies? Christmas outfits?
GN is a mystery to me!!

Chewbacca Thu 29-Oct-20 10:46:18

Only one pair Lucca?? Good heaven's! Thanks to being led astray by Lemongrove on previous threads, I'm the proud owner of 2 pairs of black leather ankle boots, one pair of navy ankle boots, one pair of burgundy ankle boots and a pair of dark tan ankle boots.
Wear your boots with pride Lucca! wink

Lucca Thu 29-Oct-20 10:37:10

suziewoozie

Lucca

Joking. Obviously.

I see you haven’t defended your wearing of ankle boots ?????

Only one pair, Chelsea boots really and only ever with trousers. The defence rests m’lud.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:33:38

Added to which it was late at night when I read it, Blinko!

Blinko Thu 29-Oct-20 10:28:22

Callistemon

I started to read the puzzle but it sounded rather like one of those maths puzzles that DGD had to do.
If Anna is in Tier 3 and has 6 apples, Cathy is in Tier 2 and has 5 pears, how many oranges does Brenda in Tier one have?

DGD's answer would be - None, Granny, because she ate them all.

Sorry, OP, I know you're worried and I will take a look tomorrow but at the moment I'm tired and feel like Pooh Bear.

That's what cam to my mind, too! One of those maths conundrums were were given at school.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:21:13

I'm constructing a flow chart.

Sister B should follow Tier 3 guidance, so no, she really should not visit as it is not essential.

In fact, your mother is at risk if she was shielding initially and lives with someone who works in a hospital.

I'm confused how you fit into all this.

biba70 Thu 29-Oct-20 10:18:02

This so hard, but your mum should not be living with someone who works in hospital and exposed to Covid day in, day out. Your mum should go and stay with sister B, and sister B should not go on outings in public with a vulnerable mum.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:09:10

Right! Try again; I thought I had a Zoom meeting but it's been postponed so I have a free morning to concentrate on this conundrum!

suziewoozie Thu 29-Oct-20 07:35:52

Lucca

Joking. Obviously.

I see you haven’t defended your wearing of ankle boots ?????

MawB2 Wed 28-Oct-20 23:54:41

I think it’s more like the Fox, the Hen and the bag of corn and how to get them across the river confused

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 23:09:41

I started to read the puzzle but it sounded rather like one of those maths puzzles that DGD had to do.
If Anna is in Tier 3 and has 6 apples, Cathy is in Tier 2 and has 5 pears, how many oranges does Brenda in Tier one have?

DGD's answer would be - None, Granny, because she ate them all.

Sorry, OP, I know you're worried and I will take a look tomorrow but at the moment I'm tired and feel like Pooh Bear.

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 22:44:06

Joking. Obviously.

phoenix Wed 28-Oct-20 22:05:12

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Oct-20 20:39:35

Are you ok Suziewoozie?

suziewoozie Wed 28-Oct-20 18:59:38

Lucca

Well I agree suziewoozie you absolutely terrify me, I am quaking in my ankle boots at the thought of what you might write !!!!

Yeah I know - facts, pesky facts and then some more facts. Really really scary and sneering facts, facts, facts. I agree purveyors of facts are absolutely terrifying whilst posters of lies/ misleading information are to be treated like the little h armless snowflakes they appear to be. And what do you mean, ankle boots? Ankle boots? FGS ankle boots.

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 18:54:43

Well I agree suziewoozie you absolutely terrify me, I am quaking in my ankle boots at the thought of what you might write !!!!

suziewoozie Wed 28-Oct-20 18:13:06

nanasam

I agree, suziewoozie scares me shock

For heavens sake ?

suziewoozie Wed 28-Oct-20 18:12:34

Chapeau

suziewoozie you got a sincere apology from SpringyChicken but you then went on to rub her nose in it. Are you OK? hmm

For heavens sake ?

suziewoozie Wed 28-Oct-20 18:11:41

Chapeau

Thank you JenniferEccles and nanasam. I thought she might be having a bad day and had no idea this is the norm. I'll watch out in future wink

Oh for heavens sake

suziewoozie Wed 28-Oct-20 18:10:21

JenniferEccles

I’m afraid suziewoozie appears to delight in making unpleasant, sneering comments.

Most of her remarks on various threads fall into that category.

Best ignored.

Maybe if some posters didn’t post lies/rubbish/misleading information about Covid rules and guidance I wouldn’t have anything to criticise. It’s the height of irresponsibility to post rubbish masquerading as facts when people are asking for clarification. I’m not going to pussyfoot around posters 2ho can’t be bothered to check the ‘information ‘they post. You’re pretty good at sneering for someone who rarely if ever provides information on COVID Rukeyser and guidance are you not? Easy to criticise when contributing zilch isn’t it?