Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid-19 surging among older school children, ONS figures show

(23 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 30-Oct-20 20:08:54

Covid is surging among older children, teenagers and young adults.

Who would ever have thought that opening the schools in a pandemic was a bad idea???

My grandson caught it off a child, who caught it at her nursery (over a month ago).

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid19-older-school-children-ons-b29802.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2wsLifvMEXO26f7lxjjQyjudfABkCxtG5o4zkPBMPvx1HHHPJp7-g4yvs#Echobox=1604065825

EllanVannin Fri 30-Oct-20 20:22:59

It's mutating.
Asian 'flu ( pandemic ) actually killed young people as well as older adults.

Those who've been abroad carry the virus from wherever they've been which mixes with the " type " we have here and so it goes on, taking on a different strain. The science of it is very involved.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 20:23:36

It's been the case for a week or two, but there's been little news about it. Official figures show that education settings are the biggest source of infections. Most of the pupils and students won't be that badly affected, but they take it home to family, who could include vulnerable people. There are many absences of teachers and teaching assistants, some of whom are high risk. Local secondary schools made the wearing of masks compulsory last week. Headteachers were ordered on the Thursday before they broke up on Friday for half term to have online learning resources in place.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 20:24:50

EllanVannin

It's mutating.
Asian 'flu ( pandemic ) actually killed young people as well as older adults.

Those who've been abroad carry the virus from wherever they've been which mixes with the " type " we have here and so it goes on, taking on a different strain. The science of it is very involved.

Do you have a link to that? I've read that it has mutated, but not much.

The problem is that classrooms are inherently unsafe environments.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Oct-20 20:39:52

No link, it's elementary isn't it if you know about these things ?

GagaJo Fri 30-Oct-20 20:42:05

I also read today that that the 'type' of most cases in the UK are Spanish in origin.

GagaJo Fri 30-Oct-20 20:42:24

All those holiday makers.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Oct-20 20:47:53

Hong Kong 'flu also killed the younger ones, probably a worse infection then than we have at present.

I was vaccinated twice against Asian 'flu because I was working on an infected ward---though it didn't stop me from getting it but it possibly allowed protection of sorts, similar to the 'flu jab we have now.

Ellianne Fri 30-Oct-20 21:03:19

GagaJo

I also read today that that the 'type' of most cases in the UK are Spanish in origin.

Maybe that also explains why SE regions of France were so badly affected, like Nouvelle Aquitaine and Occitanie which border with Spain.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 21:03:43

EllanVannin

No link, it's elementary isn't it if you know about these things ?

Err ... no ... not to me. I've read a few articles about mutation and all of them say much the same. It has mutated slightly over time. Researchers can tell roughly where somebody was infected from the mutation they have.

You seem to be implying that holidaymakers and others are bringing back new strains, which is causing the rise in young people. That isn't the case at all. People don't have immunity to any strain, so they catch it.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 21:04:53

GagaJo

That is possibly the case. However, the transmission in classrooms is because classrooms aren't safe.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 21:06:32

EllanVannin

Hong Kong 'flu also killed the younger ones, probably a worse infection then than we have at present.

I was vaccinated twice against Asian 'flu because I was working on an infected ward---though it didn't stop me from getting it but it possibly allowed protection of sorts, similar to the 'flu jab we have now.

Protection against what? It wouldn't have offered protection against Coronavirus. Asian Flu was a flu virus, not a coronavirus.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 21:10:21

Hong Kong Flu was also a flu virus.

The estimated number of deaths was 1 million worldwide and about 100,000 in the United States. Most excess deaths were in people 65 years and older.

www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

The worldwide death toll from Covid-19 has already exceeded a million and it's far from over yet.

Ellianne Fri 30-Oct-20 21:35:00

In that case parallels can be drawn between classrooms and night clubs frequented by holidaymakers. One of these superspreading outbreaks took place at a club in Córdoba, where73 people tested positiveafter a night out. At least it is possible to control things more in schools.

GagaJo Fri 30-Oct-20 21:45:13

Brits holidaying in Spain are being blamed for causing most of the current outbreak in the UK.

Ellianne Fri 30-Oct-20 21:56:53

Interesting that Benidorm is far more popular with people from further north in England, like those who fly from Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands etc. Spanish resorts are nit so popular with Southerners. Is it a coincidence that the covid cases are higher in these regions after the holiday period?

Ellianne Fri 30-Oct-20 22:17:04

Pardonnez-moi at 21 03, my Geography was not correct. I meant SW regions of France.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 22:27:42

Ellianne

In that case parallels can be drawn between classrooms and night clubs frequented by holidaymakers. One of these superspreading outbreaks took place at a club in Córdoba, where73 people tested positiveafter a night out. At least it is possible to control things more in schools.

Have you actually seen the ONS data for transmission in schools?

Transmission in Spanish nightclubs is beyond the control of the UK government. Transmission in schools could be controlled.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 22:28:51

I mean it could be controlled by partial closure or blended learning. Classrooms themselves cannot be made any safer than they are now.

growstuff Fri 30-Oct-20 22:30:11

Ellianne

Interesting that Benidorm is far more popular with people from further north in England, like those who fly from Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands etc. Spanish resorts are nit so popular with Southerners. Is it a coincidence that the covid cases are higher in these regions after the holiday period?

You mean those rough northerners?

Hetty58 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:32:46

growstuff is quite right, of course - classrooms aren't safe. Here we are in Tier 2 (medium) not meeting indoors - yet sending kids in for prolonged indoor contact with others - it's crazy. Masks help, but only a little:

english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

Ellianne Fri 30-Oct-20 22:36:58

You mean those rough northerners?
no idea about that growstuff but it was on Travelsupermarket how many searches about Benidorm had been made by Northerners as opposed to Southerners.

twiglet77 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:50:13

I am absolutely furious, very disappointed but sadly not surprised, that DD1, single parent to a pre-schooler, has today had a visit at home by friends from a Tier 2 area and their three school-age children. They were visiting their mothers, in this Tier 1 region, for half term.

I despair that these bright career people don't accept the 'rules' apply to them. They're not partying in the street, that would be stupid, apparently. They just don't get it.