Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Can I travel from Surrey to Somerset to my bubble?

(17 Posts)
Granicus Wed 04-Nov-20 20:05:08

I am 71 and live on my own in Surrey. I am in a bubble with my daughter, grandchild and son-in-law who live in Somerset.
May I travel to visit them during lockdown and stay the night? They have invited me to come for my birthday!

Grannynannywanny Wed 04-Nov-20 20:23:49

Granicus my understanding of the lockdown guidelines is that you are allowed to travel to your extended household bubble you have formed with your daughter and her family.
The guidelines say it’s preferable if your bubble is local but that’s only a recommendation. You are still allowed to travel between Surrey and Somerset.
I hope you have a lovely bubble birthday ?

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:24:25

Seen this asked a few times and would say yes.

Section 2
www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

M0nica Wed 04-Nov-20 20:39:28

Granicus We live in Oxfordshire and we are in a bubble with DD who lives in Hertfordshire.

We certainly intend to see her during lockdown and will be spending a weekend with her. I can see nothing in the regulations to say we cannot and everything that says we can.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:50:04

If they are your Bubble then you aren’t able to visit anyone other than them during lock down, is there anyone closer to home that you could form a Bubble with? That way you could visit them regularly.
The risks of car break downs and accidents are higher with so many miles to travel.

Alexa Wed 04-Nov-20 21:48:07

The general rule, bubble or no bubble is it is best to stay at home and not go travelling. If you leave you home you will very probably be physically closer to other people some of who will be carriers.

M0nica Thu 05-Nov-20 11:37:13

Alexa not if you travel by car.
Oopsadaisy Cars are very reliable these days and breakdowns are rare, especally if your car is looked after and well maintained. I haven't had one in the 13 years I have owned my current car.

It is all very well saying, is there anyone else to form a bubble with who lives nearer? Bubbles are formed for a particular purpose and if you make one at a distance it is usually for a very good reason.

In our case our DD came very close to being COVID collateral damage in June. She was classified as being critically ill, which having looked it up means life threateningly ill and in need of emergency hospital treatment, which she didn't get. We bubbled with her so that we could provide any help and assistance she neeeded. We continue to bubble with her to protect her mental health.

We will continue to visit her and she will visit us. It is not frequent, about once a month. She has always been very precious to us, as most people's children are, but after the failings of the NHS came frighteningly close to killing her, we are even more concerned about her welfare.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-Nov-20 11:54:28

So sorry to hear about your daughter, M0nica. How very worrying about the NHS failings.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Nov-20 12:31:27

What a lovely invitation for your birthday Granicus !

In your position I would definitely go especially as you are in a family bubble with them.

Will you drive or will they collect you?

How lovely to have that to look forward to, to break up the month!

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Nov-20 12:55:37

This question was asked this morning on breakfast.
Seems you will be OK to go.

Madgran77 Thu 05-Nov-20 14:45:45

Yes although it is recommended to try and avoid travelling long distances for bubbles. But it is allowed if necessary

Barmeyoldbat Thu 05-Nov-20 15:34:38

Yes I think it is ok. My daughter lives on her own and is my bubble, I will travel to see her as she can't travel far.

B9exchange Thu 05-Nov-20 15:38:05

Yes, fine to go, enjoy your visits. There is nothing legally to stop you driving long distances.

M0nica I am so desperately sorry to hear about your daughter, I pray that she recovers well from now on.

MamaCaz Thu 05-Nov-20 15:50:48

Yes, absolutely fine, as long as it is a genuine bubble (the 'only' bubble), not a secondary one that has been so-named as a means of getting around the rules.

M0nica Thu 05-Nov-20 18:00:48

Thank you, I do bang on about it a bit, but it was really scary and has affected me quite deeply. She had a telephone appointment for a problem that often causes anaemia, but the doctor forgot to order a blood test, by the time she finally managed to get one 8 weeks later, her blood count was just above the level where people drop dead. She was told she could have a fatal heart attack at any moment. normally she would have been blued and twoed to hospital for a blood transfussion. Instead she was just given an industrial dose of iron, the pharmacist actually queried the does it was so large, and was told to take herself to A&E if she felt ill or thought she might be having a heart attack! She is OK now, but living alone and working from home, we like to (discretely) keep an eye on her.

cornergran Thu 05-Nov-20 18:24:09

We’ll travel 40 miles in a week or so to see one of ours who lives alone. He has no other adults in his home and suggested the bubble as soon as they were permitted. You must have been very scared when your daughter was so ill M0nica, of course you need to keep an eye on her. We feel the same about our son who is under enormous stress from professional and personal issues. Distance is a real stressor at times.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 08:16:25

Bubbling is always thought of in terms of children bubbling with aged parents living alone but, as this thread shows, parents bubbling with adult children living alone is almost as common, and for much the same reasons: concern about their mental and physical welfare.