Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

NHS app says I must isolate for 8 days!

(95 Posts)
chelseababy Sat 07-Nov-20 19:03:53

This was a bit of a shock this morning when I got back from sainsbury's. Am presuming I must have had the contact on Sunday with an unknown person. I did have lunch out that day. Anyone else had the app alert? Was it followed by phone call from test (track?) and trace?

Seajaye Tue 10-Nov-20 17:20:00

I don't have the app on my fairly dilapidated android phone, but I have been told that some people have received messages via the app that they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive. It would be helpful if the app provided a date, time and location as my acquaintance says they have not been out of their own house, and they live on their own. On mulling this over I suppose it could be the postman droping of letters and parcels at the door. It's difficult to place confidence in the accuracy of the app enough in terms of coordinating contact data, if the assumed facts can't be verified by the receipient of the message. Self isolation because of an app message for some people is at personal financial cost, as not everyone can work from home, not all employers give paid leave, and statutory sick pay is a pitiful sum, assuming self isolation when not actual ill qualifies. In principle the app is a good idea to reduce the risk of contagious people spreading the virus inadvertently, but it also needs to be compatiblevwith everyone's phone and accurate.

SpanielNanny Tue 10-Nov-20 07:40:48

I was asked my the app to isolate for 10 days. I think it may have an error, as the timeline didn’t quite make sense. I’d been unwell (not COVID) and so hadn't left the house around what would have been the potential infection time. However the countdown didn’t leave my phone, so I isolated for the requested period. It didn’t seem worth the risk to not follow instructions. I had no follow up.

My neighbour was contacted by phone to isolate, after having a meal out with her three children. Fortunately none of them became ill. She was however incredibly frustrated to be contacted every single day, four times a day, to check they were abiding by the request. For some reason instead of contacting her once for them all (her children obviously didn’t provide phone numbers) they phoned her individually to check that each one of them was isolating!

TruthSeeker48 Tue 10-Nov-20 07:36:29

Hi, I found this video very interesting so thought I would share it with you.

Watch "Nurse ?‍⚕️ Resigns From NHS And Warns Of Lockdown" on YouTube
youtu.be/htS6IcGwgg4

Dollydinkum Tue 10-Nov-20 06:22:57

Attachment for post re self isolate

Dollydinkum Tue 10-Nov-20 06:21:36

EUMAGIRL

I've also just had a message from the Covid app telling me I've been in contact with someone affected and that I must now isolate for 9 days. In the past 10 days, unless you count a daily countryside walk and I'm surrounded by fields here, I've only been to the hairdressers one week ago, followed by on the same day a 10 minute shop in M&S. It occurred to me to phone the hairdressers just to see if they know someone from their business has the virus, but on two counts I'm not going to do that. I think they're probably completely shut now anyway and I don't want to spook them or cause them any additional worries when they may not be at fault. They were super sorted over every single precaution when I was there and are a very professional outfit.

It may be that standing at the roadside waiting to cross the road afterwards I was standing next to someone affected, or indeed the person previously holding my basket when at M&S had it - it's impossible to know.
It's actually annoying too, as I was due to take a counselling test tomorrow with a neighbour (socially distancing of course) and can't now do this - but it is what it is and although I will be walking again today, I won't be near anybody else. I was isolating anyway since the 5th and will just continue to do so.

I’m confused. You’ve been notified by the App to self isolate for 9 days...so you’ll continue your daily walks?

I thought if notified by the app or NHS test and trace to self isolate, it is not permitted to leave your home / garden?

FlotheCrow Mon 09-Nov-20 14:59:19

I haven't got the app, and won't have it, even if I had the right kind of phone. Too Big Brother.

grannie7 Mon 09-Nov-20 14:56:24

Petra
see what you mean.
why are the government paying them so much it should be a contract paying X amount of money not what ever they decide
to charge us, disgraceful.
I do wish we had people from the real world deciding what contracts the government make who ever is making the decisions to give these contracts out has never worked in business where they are responsible for the bottom line.
The whole thing seems a complete mess
Companies jumping on the Covid bandwagon to enrich themselves disgusting.

Kamiso Mon 09-Nov-20 14:51:29

I'm on C19-ZOE. I fill it in every morning and get various information pages to read if I want to. It's on my ipad.

I did get a notification saying I had been in contact with someone with Covid but it then said the contact had only been short lived so no action was needed!

grannie7 Mon 09-Nov-20 14:44:22

Petra
No never heard of them.
Why does everyone think they are shysters I am usually
up with this kind of thing, were they called something else
and changed their name ?
I am going to look them up on net
but would like an answer in case they hide

jocork Mon 09-Nov-20 14:34:50

Like many others I can't download the app as my phone is too old - I wish I could - but there are drawbacks with the way the app works. I was told that it is possible to be contacted if you live very close to someone who tests positive, say, in the flat above or below the person, as the app will consider your location to be the same if you are directly above or below them for long enough. If you were contacted and thought you hadn't been near anyone at all that could explain it.
Personally I don't understand anyone not isolating if they are told to. I know it is inconvenient but if it saves even one life it has to be woth it. Until yesterday I didn't really know anyone who had died but got a whatsapp message from a former colleague who lost her dad last week. He had other problems but then caught covid in hospital and gave up the fight. Too many people are not taking this seriously because they know people who have only been mildly affected and think it is being exaggerated so they won't comply to keep others safe. Meanwhile my daughter is struggling with her mental health as she is constantly worried about giving it to someone vulnerable despite being incredibly careful herself. If everyone did the right thing we'd get through this so much quicker!
Rant over!

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:22:50

Im very careful as we 3 in our house are vulnerable (medical conditions) indeed my youngest son (17) also has 3 reasons on the list- yet college still are 'demanding' he goes back despite him catching a bug there after attending only 3 days! This is the stupid gov't ideas thats spreading it! He should be allowed to not attend if he chooses to stay safe! Not forced to go to comply with their rules!

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:17:28

Notspaghetti- i read something other day online saying that app had been set incorrectly and should have been noting contact after 3 minutes- NOT 15! As 15 was too long and it should be set to alert by 3minutes! Wether its now 'reset' ive no idea.

Millie22 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:11:29

Olive53
Yes be afraid of this virus as it's not something to be taking any risks with if you have a weakened immune system.

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:09:42

EUMAGIRL- M&S actually are spraying and wiping all the basket & trolley handles after each customer use.Well they are in our local food hall anyway.

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:06:40

Olive 53 i think its YOU who is scaremongering!?

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:55:14

Maybe we could ALL have the 'TRACE&PROTECT' that Scotland do? Why cant we all have the same- we are supposed to be a UNITED KINGDOM- Why are all the different parts of UK suddenly able to 'stand alone' when the bloody chips are down?! Thats not how we won world wars- and i doubt its how we will beat this virus.?

petra Mon 09-Nov-20 12:54:48

grannie7
Have you seriously never read anything about these shysters. Because that's what they are.

Nannan2 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:47:39

I downloaded the app- even though i hardly ever leave the house these days- but i only have an android phone- a samsung bought about 18mths to 2yrs ago-its never told me its not compatible- but it does tell me i must have bluetooth turned on and the location, in order for app to work! However location is always on, so not a problem.Bluetooth sometimes isnt- BUT i do check its on if i have to go out at all- particularly if i go to local hospital to have a blood test for my warfarin levels- but it Never even says ive been in an an area where i could be exposed- which i frankly find unbelievable in a hospital situation- so im not entirely convinced it works properly.(ive not eaten out at all since last february) but did attend a small funeral for a friend a couple of months ago& had 2 drinks after (in a private very spacious club sat very separate from others attending)! so we had to leave our names& numbers.Again no one contacted us.i do go to M&S food hall very occasionally on same day i attend hospital for blood tests but i go shop first, then hosp then straight home.Thats it pretty much.Nowhere else.But ive never been contacted by the app nor track& trace.at all.im not convinced its working.Incidentally, im interested where you 'had lunch out' last sunday- as i thought all places serving food had to close now?

Marydoll Mon 09-Nov-20 12:47:30

Olive53 Of course I'm terrified of the virus and rightly so!
I fulfil three different categories for shielding and no matter how lonely I am feeling, I will not be taking your irresponsible advice.
We have just lost a friend to this and know others who have also died.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but please do not try and impose your views on those of us who have done their research,

Gil18 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:41:58

I find that frequently if my phone has been off and charging in the night I have to reactivate Bluetooth to get the app working next day. I check automatically now.

Olive53 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:00:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ReadyMeals Mon 09-Nov-20 11:11:53

Marydoll

Could someone please enlighten me, just out of interest, where the evidence is that SERCO developed the app. As I have the Scottish NHS app on my phone it doesn't affect me personally.

This quote is from Reuters, the news agency.
Some Facebook users have been falsely claiming that outsourcer Serco has developed the NHS Test and Trace app.
The NHS website says the app’s development team has staff from Accenture, Alan Turing Institute, NHS Digital, NHSx, Oxford University, VMware Pivotal Lab and Zuhlke Engineering. It also says that the National Cyber Security Centre had an advisory role in developing the app.

However, SERCO is not listed, so why is this rumour circulating?
I have no opinion on it, just curious. I'm happy to have the app on my phone, if it helps save lives. I believe it's up to each individual what they choose to do.

I do feel it is unacceptable, that some phones are not able to support the app.

Accenture!!! That's put me off for a start. My husband started hating his last job when Accenture got involved in restructuring it.

grannie7 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:47:43

I am a bit puzzled.
I don’t know anything about serco but just wondered
why would it matter if they had developed the NHS app.

EUMAGIRL Mon 09-Nov-20 10:34:06

I've also just had a message from the Covid app telling me I've been in contact with someone affected and that I must now isolate for 9 days. In the past 10 days, unless you count a daily countryside walk and I'm surrounded by fields here, I've only been to the hairdressers one week ago, followed by on the same day a 10 minute shop in M&S. It occurred to me to phone the hairdressers just to see if they know someone from their business has the virus, but on two counts I'm not going to do that. I think they're probably completely shut now anyway and I don't want to spook them or cause them any additional worries when they may not be at fault. They were super sorted over every single precaution when I was there and are a very professional outfit.

It may be that standing at the roadside waiting to cross the road afterwards I was standing next to someone affected, or indeed the person previously holding my basket when at M&S had it - it's impossible to know.
It's actually annoying too, as I was due to take a counselling test tomorrow with a neighbour (socially distancing of course) and can't now do this - but it is what it is and although I will be walking again today, I won't be near anybody else. I was isolating anyway since the 5th and will just continue to do so.

isla1 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:24:21

Yes - I had one of those on my phone and immediately took action. This is the least I can contribute to these difficult times. Isolating is awful - but it is nothing compared to being in hospital.