Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do you use mouthwash?

(64 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 17-Nov-20 09:20:58

A new study has shown certain mouthwashes to be effective at reducing the amount of Covid in saliva.

I use it, but infrequently. Maybe I'll start being a more regular user.
I wonder how many brands contain the essential ingredient? Will this lead to a shortage?

Kamiso Tue 17-Nov-20 22:26:49

I’ve been using Corsodyl for some years with no problem but it is watered down in my water flosser. Amazing how litttle bits float out.

paddyanne Tue 17-Nov-20 22:15:17

I broke a tooth during lockdown was told if it wasn't causing me pain it wasn't an emergency .I'm still waiting ..on the list but we're back in lockdown.I've been using mouthwash twice daily to try to avoid any infection.
I have a history of my face blowing up like a ballon with root infections or even just after dental treatment .I vary the mouthwash as corsodyl was staining badly and I just have to hope I'm near the top of the list once lockdown is over

Jane10 Tue 17-Nov-20 21:52:04

I found I could easily clean off any Corsodyl stains after I stopped using it. I use an electric toothbrush.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-Nov-20 21:49:23

Corsodyl stains terribly.

Tangerine Tue 17-Nov-20 21:34:17

I used to use mouthwash but it began to stain my teeth. They hygienist cleaned them and got them completely restored to their normal colour which relieved me. She told me mouthwash was not something to be used regularly. I have never used it since.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-Nov-20 21:27:15

NB it has to be full strength Listerine, none of your no alcohol own brand nonsense.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-Nov-20 21:24:27

Funnily enough, I discovered this myself, years ago (don't laugh).
When I was a TA I was always super conscious of bad breath - getting so close to the kids, and they can be very critical. hmm
For related reasons, I always had lots of viruses.
I found that when I gargled with mouthwash in the morning, my cold symptoms would be relieved to a degree.
I always made a point of gargling frequently when I had a cold.
When these findings came out a few months ago I was not surprised.

Callistemon Tue 17-Nov-20 21:13:03

BigBertha1

I will conduct the first trial of gin this afternoon and publish my results in a professional journal.

grin
Are we supposed to rinse and spit the gin like mouthwash or swallow it?

twinnytwin Tue 17-Nov-20 15:06:36

I had an hygienist appointment this morning and asked about mouthwash. She advised me not to use it.

Summerlove Tue 17-Nov-20 14:56:09

Pittcity

I've just checked and my cheap Lidl mouthwash contains the "magic" ingredient, cetypyridinium chloride (CPC).
I'll be buying a few more bottles if there are any left!

Brave of you to announce stocking up!

Hetty58 Tue 17-Nov-20 14:29:18

Whisky helps toothache, applied to gums - or, even better, drunk as well, so I'd give that a trial!

BigBertha1 Tue 17-Nov-20 14:22:05

I will conduct the first trial of gin this afternoon and publish my results in a professional journal.

Jane10 Tue 17-Nov-20 12:33:27

I used Corsodyl for a short while after a tooth removal. I had to be careful to use it a good while after cleaning my teeth. It certainly helped settle the inflammation but is strong stuff and affected my taste buds for a while.

Pittcity Tue 17-Nov-20 12:05:26

BigBertha1

Is gin OK?

Well it does cure a lot of things.... Cheers!

Kate1949 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:59:23

This was mentioned at the start of the pandemic. I bought a couple of extra bottles then. I've always used mouthwash as I have dentures.

MayBee70 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:56:42

My dentist told me to not use mouthwash straight after cleaning my teeth. I find my teeth feel really clean if I use Corsodyl although it does stain my teeth.

MayBee70 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:54:54

BigBertha1

Is gin OK?

Asking for a friend ???

TerriBull Tue 17-Nov-20 11:31:56

I use it, in fact I first read about a mouthwash product which begins with a D that was used in a Welsh hospital and from their findings it was felt that there was a degree of success with patients battling Covid and using mouthwash. I managed to track that brand down and use it daily, although I gather from the report that the onus was on mouthwash per se rather than the actual brand. but I just thought I'd go for the one they were using.

Alishka Tue 17-Nov-20 11:25:12

BigBertha1

Is gin OK?

Suddenly I'm interested in this threadgrin

fiorentina51 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:23:48

I have a good set of choppers. At almost 70 I still have all my own teeth just 2 fillings and haven't had any treatment for over 20 years. Both my mum, who died aged 72 and her sister, who died at almost 90 were lucky to have good teeth so I guess in my case genetics plays a part.
As far as using a mouthwash to protect against covid infection, well, if it helps, great. If it doesn't, at least my breath smells sweet.

dragonfly46 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:23:47

My dentist told me to use a mouth wash once a week when I was on chemo. It helps with sore gums and infection.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:21:18

Since my dental hygienist told me it's a waste if you use a special toothpaste then a mouthwash - I don't use a mouthwash. I use a Tea Tree Toothpaste because I have been susceptible to oral thrush, and it does the job.

BigBertha1 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:18:15

Is gin OK?

bikergran Tue 17-Nov-20 11:02:22

I don't think mouthwashes are that good for your teeth/gums etc , I did use a mouthwash for a while and it stained my teeth and deteriorated my gums/teeth.

I stopped using it and have a good toothpaste and tooth brush, my teeth and gums are not a lot better

MayBee70 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:49:27

Dr Mobeen showed a study in which people that had COVID used different mouthwashes and some were rid of the virus after several days. I think it was a German study. The main one contained iodine I think so I did think about taking iodine supplements. The next best was Listerine Cool Mint. You had to gargle for 30 seconds 3 times a day. Also cleaning your nose using a solution of Johnson’s Baby shampoo helped. None of them stopped you catching the virus.