Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Opening our windows

(119 Posts)
MawBe Mon 23-Nov-20 10:21:28

A good article in the DT this morning about something I imagine we all grew up with - the benefit of opening windows. Apologies for a longish cut and paste but I hope it is worth it.

“While we await, with guarded optimism, the much-heralded Covid-19 vaccine, simpler (and much cheaper) protective measures should not be neglected. Hence the concern expressed by Professor Edward Lynch in this paper last week after noting the windows were closed in 78 out of the 80 buses he recently observed passing Waterloo Station. “Good ventilation is extremely important,” he writes, a view echoed in an article in the Journal of Hospital Infection describing the role of fresh air in combating infectious illnesses prior to the discovery of antibiotics.

Fresh air is lethal to most viruses... and loses its potency when outdoor air is enclosed
The twin goals of promoting recovery while also preventing cross-infection and reinfection were addressed, writes Dr Richard Hobday, by nursing patients next to an open window or placing them in their beds outside. He cites too the experience of the Camp Brooks Open Air Hospital near Boston, built at short notice at the height of the devastating 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic. In good weather, patients spent virtually all their time outdoors, kept warm in their beds at night by hot water bottles and extra blankets. The survival rate was almost twice that of conventional hospitals while just two out of the 150 staff contracted the highly contagious virus.

Subsequently, Dr Hobday reports that scientists in the Sixties identified an “open-air factor” in fresh air that is specifically lethal to most bacteria and viruses, and which loses its potency when outdoor air is enclosed. So, open those windows – and for those lucky enough to have a garden, a firepit – sales of which are booming – should hopefully see them through the winter months unscathed.”

ginny Tue 01-Dec-20 10:20:48

Windows open overnight, no heating on
Windows open during the day, no heating on whilst we are busy doing jobs.
Heating on around mid afternoon at the moment and windows just unlached.

Franbern Tue 01-Dec-20 09:19:36

Love open windows. Not on wet or misty days, but as soon as sun shines, as today - then windows open.
My children used to tell me off, as I would often not have heating on when by myself, and would use a blanket and shawl when watching tv - keeping myself toasty warm. Now, I can boast to them how I am helping the environment!!
I would not dream of opening a window at the same time as having my heating on.

kircubbin2000 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:18:28

Bluebell I don't think you would have the heating on if the windows were open!
It's never warm enough where I live to open windows. Usually cool sea breezes.

Iam64 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:13:18

FannyC, how is your husband now and have you remained free of this virus? I suspect that any of us who are CEV are more likely to pick up infection and more likely to become significantly ill as a result.
Its unsettling that you don't know how your husband picked up this virus. A number of friends who have been effectively shielding have had colds, upset stomachs, virus infections - none of them positive for covid but equally unsure how they picked up anything given how careful they were being.

CanadianGran Tue 01-Dec-20 05:46:15

Windows only open for short times here. In the summer it is different, but we have very damp rainy winters. Today for instance is about 5 Celsius and 87% humidity. The damp feels like it gets right to your bones.

We have forced air heating, so the air is constantly being moved, and the fresh air intake is in the basement by the furnace. I opened my kitchen window only for about 30 minutes today while I cooked, and even then the fan over the stove was on as well.

Most offices and schools now are being built without windows that open. In my office none of the windows open.

FannyCornforth Tue 01-Dec-20 02:32:22

I'm going a bit off topic here, so please forgive me.
(I'm thinking of my DH here but its not specifically about him.)
If one is extremely clinically vulnerable does it mean that you only need a small amount of the virus (viral load) to get ill?
Considering how extremely 'careful' we both were, it's difficult for me to get my head around how he caught it.

MawBe Tue 01-Dec-20 00:28:46

Research shows that being in a room with fresh air can reduce the risk of infection from particles by over 70%
The film is part of the ‘Hands. Face. Space’ campaign which urges public to adopt simple health behaviours to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading
A new public information campaign has launched today by the government to highlight how letting fresh air into indoor spaces can reduce the risk of infection from coronavirus by over 70%.

The campaign, which forms part of wider ‘Hands. Face. Space’ guidance, sees the release of a new short film created with scientists and an engineer at Leeds University.

The film illustrates how coronavirus lingers in the air in spaces with no fresh air, increasing the risk of people breathing in infected particles, and how the risk can be reduced significantly by regularly ventilating enclosed areas.

The new film will run across social and digital advertising in England.

Research shows that being in a room with fresh air can reduce your risk of infection from particles by over 70%, as fresh air dilutes the particles.

As we spend more time indoors, experts are recommending that people either:

open windows for short, sharp bursts of 10 to 15 minutes regularly throughout the day
leave windows open a small amount continuously
This is to remove any infected particles lingering in the room.

Additionally, it is advised that any household systems that use outdoor air, including kitchen or bathroom extractor fans, are used correctly and regularly as an additional method to remove infected particles.

GagaJo Sat 28-Nov-20 11:30:46

Sitting watching tv, windows wide open. It's freezing but I've got a duvet. Central heating plays havoc with my sinuses.

FarNorth Sat 28-Nov-20 10:59:14

I don't have heating on in my house until later in the day.
I'd rather get some fresh air circulating for a while, although cold, than keep it all closed up and stale.

MawBe Sat 28-Nov-20 09:35:36

“Your virtuous habits are contributing (to?) global warming”
I’m afraid this comes across as just another example of virtue signalling.
It would be infinitely healthier for the individual- we are not talking about blasting 70 degree heating into the garden but getting used to fresh or fresher air, maybe putting a cardi on or wearing a wrap or shawl (or a duvet)
The majority of private homes and CERTAINLY shops and offices are over heated - don’t tell me that’s not contributing to global warming.

Booklover1948 Sat 28-Nov-20 08:32:25

I have storage heaters so my heating is on all the time, if I open windows I am wasting the heating,

Alexa Thu 26-Nov-20 21:50:30

Good Idea MOnica. I like to air the place on good drying days but not so much when it's foggy damp with still air.

M0nica Thu 26-Nov-20 21:35:21

All very virtuous But

One of the main ways we can combat global warming is by reducing the amount of energy we consume. One of the key ways of doing this is to make homes better insulated and airtight. Airtight homes should have mechanical ventilation that takes the heat out of stale air passing into the outside air and use it to preheat incoming air.

Do all those who have so many windows open all the time turn their heating off when the windows are open? What about the heat wasted reheating the home from stone cold to acceptable?

Your virtuous habits are contributing global warming.

Puzzler61 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:16:48

Nooo welbeck everything is lagged and insulated up there.
Even the 2 outside taps have their winter ‘jackets’ on as from last week.

welbeck Wed 25-Nov-20 18:02:33

does anyone else leave the loft hatch open an inch or two in winter, to protect the pipework.

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-20 17:54:21

FarNorth, the primary school one of our grandchildren attends has decided children will wear their own clothes. They want the children in clean clothes every morning, something that seems less likely to happen with school uniform, when a sweat shirt for example may not have dried overnight.
I don't know if the windows are open,I hope so

FarNorth Wed 25-Nov-20 17:42:06

it occurred to me that it is far easier for children to dress warmly in other countries where they don't have to wear school uniform

It's completely ridiculous if schools insist on children wearing clothes that aren't warm enough, when all the windows are open.
Is that really happening?

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-20 17:39:35

Elliane, I've always felt the British obsession with school uniform is bonkers.

Ellianne Wed 25-Nov-20 17:37:30

biba70

A famous cure for TB too - Mountain fresh air in Switzerland.

We had to read Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain based on a sanatorium in the Swiss mountains.

biba70 Wed 25-Nov-20 17:29:02

A famous cure for TB too - Mountain fresh air in Switzerland.

Kalu Wed 25-Nov-20 17:25:22

Once the heating is off in the morning, I open all windows and fold bed linen back to air the bed. Also, side by side pillows are placed with slip openings facing out to allow fresh air through pillows too.

As a student nurse, the benefits of fresh air were highlighted often, on the ward and in the home. I’m a fresh air freak!

Ellianne Wed 25-Nov-20 16:37:40

Talking about schools having windows open all day and fingerless gloves, it occurred to me that it is far easier for children to dress warmly in other countries where they don't have to wear school uniform. Hoodies for example would fit the bill!
(When I taught in Zürich the pupils were asked to wear their (fluffy) slippers all day, so that could be a good idea for warmth here too!)

SueDonim Wed 25-Nov-20 16:30:51

I can feel the draught from the chimney right now - I had the windows open earlier and it was quite a breeze and cold with it!

Franbern Wed 25-Nov-20 16:15:13

Kitty - conkers arranged along the windowcill really does stop spiders crossing them. Something to do with the smell
The only reason I used to have net curtains in my bedroom, was so that I could keep the small windows at the top open most of the time without having to worry about flying guests inviting themselves indoors, The rules always were (round September-November - no lights allowed to switched on until all doors and windows were closed.

As it has to be practically freezing for me to have my heating on during the day, I am quite happy to open my bedroom and living room windows open once I am dressed each morning. (Bathroom and en-suite are both internal, no windows at all).

Mapleleaf Wed 25-Nov-20 15:49:47

I put our bedroom window and bathroom window on vent during the winter months but only for a while - I can’t stand being cold. Other windows generally remain closed unless I feel a room needs a bit of an airing for a while, but, no, they are never open all of the time during the winter. Now summer is a different matter...