Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

A bit of good news - we have turned the corner

(69 Posts)
B9exchange Mon 30-Nov-20 16:20:35

According to the Health Service Journal, the second wave has peaked in England’s hospitals, with the number of beds occupied by covid-19 patients falling for five consecutive days across the country.

Within two weeks this should be reflected in the death rate, as there is always a two week lag.

We will get through this!

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 23:21:58

‘Do you remember when all those old and terminally ill people died and we were ok because we weren’t old or terminally ill....’ confused

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 01:50:20

MayBee70

‘Do you remember when all those old and terminally ill people died and we were ok because we weren’t old or terminally ill....’ confused

It will be good news to me when everybody accepts that everybody has a right to live as many years or months as they have left - even the old and terminally ill. Enabling that is an end in itself. Hopefully, a vaccine will give them a better chance. A vaccine probably won't protect the rest of the community.

It will also be good news when everybody realises that the herd immunity myths have been debunked.

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 09:29:02

It is of course sad whenever anyone dies, but Bluebelle did say the deaths she heard about on the radio had very little time left to live anyway. Only last night there was a man in his 60s with terminal cancer on the news who told his family he was trying his best to die quickly and they agreed. For them it wasn't a case of we're ok so off you pop. It was that the suffering was unbearable all round.

Anyway, the good news is we move into a new month today, Christmas is round the corner too, and tomorrow we move into a new attack on the virus with the tier system. Let's try a bit of positivity.

Alegrias2 Tue 01-Dec-20 09:43:46

FFS Ellianne and Bluebelle, have some compassion.

JenniferEccles Tue 01-Dec-20 09:44:53

“Let’s try a bit of positivity”

Hallelujah to that Ellianne !

MaizieD Tue 01-Dec-20 09:45:54

Anyway, the good news is we move into a new month today, Christmas is round the corner too, and tomorrow we move into a new attack on the virus with the tier system. Let's try a bit of positivity

There's nothing positive about the prospect of a post Christmas covid third wave combined with the additional whammy of the end of the Brexit transition period and the chaos resulting from that.

Pollyanna exhortations are unwelcome, I'm afraid.

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 09:47:09

I have great compassion, that is what I was saying. It would be nice if this thread could end on a positive note not all about death, dying, illness and whose choice it is to live or die.

MaizieD Tue 01-Dec-20 09:50:12

Alegrias2

FFS Ellianne and Bluebelle, have some compassion.

I'm sure they'll be more than willing to go before their time should they be struck down by covid. Maybe it's a bit of positivity "Well, let's look on the bright side, we didn't have much time left anyway"

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 09:50:38

Some people need to wake up to the fact that good endorphins boost your mood and actually keep you physically well too! Doom and gloom, and constant negativity, does no one any favours.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Dec-20 09:50:57

I didn’t say it was good did I ?
I was relating a fact I had heard... blooming heck if my post had said great news whooppee I could understand being told to have compassion I said how sad it is but I simply gave a fact I had heard

MaizieD Tue 01-Dec-20 09:52:38

Ellianne

I have great compassion, that is what I was saying. It would be nice if this thread could end on a positive note not all about death, dying, illness and whose choice it is to live or die.

Well, maybe you think it would, Ellianne, but you don't get to make the rules.

MaizieD Tue 01-Dec-20 09:54:25

Ellianne

Some people need to wake up to the fact that good endorphins boost your mood and actually keep you physically well too! Doom and gloom, and constant negativity, does no one any favours.

Oh, do give up lecturing us.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 01-Dec-20 09:55:11

Well nobody knows what’s going to happen in the near future so I for one will try and remain positive as I always do

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 09:55:12

BlueBelle

I didn’t say it was good did I ?
I was relating a fact I had heard... blooming heck if my post had said great news whooppee I could understand being told to have compassion I said how sad it is but I simply gave a fact I had heard

Exactly Bluebelle.

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 09:56:55

I'm not lecturing I'm stating a fact.

JenniferEccles Tue 01-Dec-20 09:57:37

Unfortunately it’s a fact that the ‘we are all doomed’ brigade have always been more vocal than the more positive amongst us on threads.

It’s just the same with any Brexit discussions. We are all doomed there too apparently.

They must spend their lives in a state of constant anxiety.

silverlining48 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:23:15

B9 exchange, I hope things will improve but have just heard that Germany who have been held as an example because it managed so much better than the rest of us is now on high alert with many hospitals already full, unable to take more patients because Covid is on the increase, so it’s over yet.

silverlining48 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:24:06

It’s not over yet

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 10:24:15

Yes JE we can all make the best or worst of things. Life without positivity and hope must be hard to experience.

silverlining48 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:25:57

I wish it was ....

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 10:31:25

Being realistic and accepting facts isn't being a member of any "we are all doomed" brigade.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 10:32:49

PS. I don't send my life in a state of anxiety - ever. I'm realistic and come to terms with what life throws at me, rather than wearing blinkers.

Alegrias2 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:55:29

The OP was a positive fact, that the numbers in hospital beds are dropping and that this would probably mean that deaths would fall in the next couple of weeks. If "some posters" took the time to read the thread properly, they could see that many of us supported that post.

But then adding a post that says, well, 40,000 of them were on the way out anyway, so there's something to be positive about. That's just tactless.

And trying to draw specious political analogies? It would be funny if it wasn't in such bad taste.

Ellianne Tue 01-Dec-20 11:25:30

And likewise if some posters took the time to read *Bluebelle's post properly, they could see that^ Bluebelle did not say that 40,000 people dying was something to be positive about.
She said in a new sentence altogether that she likes to remain positive.

Alegrias2 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:32:57

Okey doke hmm