Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine for 91 year old

(13 Posts)
Kamiso Wed 09-Dec-20 14:34:02

edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/12/08/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-rollout-vanier-intv-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 15:16:59

I am curious as to how he could just phone up Guys hospital and ask for a vaccination. I thought you had to be contacted by the NHS and given an appointment.

Daisymae Wed 09-Dec-20 15:24:09

Yes, that crossed my mind too. You would think that the vaccines were actually allocated? Or maybe not. Maybe people will follow his lead and phone in?

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Dec-20 15:24:18

I would guess he had a letter which would have given him a specific number to call, as most people will get.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 15:29:30

In the interview he said he just phoned up and asked if he could come and after some questions he was given an appointment for later that day.
Can you imagine the chaos if everyone did that?

BlueSky Wed 09-Dec-20 19:25:50

Agree Marydoll. No we are told to wait for a letter and don’t call hospitals or GPs.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 19:39:42

What else struck me was he had driven himself and hadn't told his family where he was going. Sounds like rather an independent gentleman to me. What if he had taken ill? Prhaps I'm just a fusspot! blush.

Lucretzia Wed 09-Dec-20 19:43:23

I think he mentioned being a regular at the hospital.

I thought he was super.

Independent chap with a great attitude.

M0nica Wed 09-Dec-20 20:00:19

He is over 80. He was entitled to it, what does it matter how he got it?

biba70 Wed 09-Dec-20 20:09:32

well yes, and no- as people have been told to wait until they are called.

Marydoll Wed 09-Dec-20 21:00:43

I did not say he wasn't entitled to it. What I said was that if everyone did that, it could cause problems. What makes him more entitled than others over eighty?
People are already being asked to stop phoning GP surgeries to ask for the vaccine.

Streaky Tue 19-Jan-21 13:08:06

My DD has just told me that her MIL phoned Guys and got a vaccination appointment this week for herself and her husband, both 74. She is quite a pushy person so I’m not surprised she has done this. I on the other hand like to go by the rules and if I’m told to wait for a letter or call
, then that’s what I’ll do. I’d just feel that I was jumping the queue, I’m quite happy to wait another few weeks for my turn.

eazybee Tue 19-Jan-21 13:24:03

On a slightly different tack, i was quite shocked this morning on a local zoom call, to hear people in the group, some in their late seventies, say they had been given appointments for the vaccination but they weren't going because they didn't like the venue' a large centre in a nearby town. Reasons being:"The town is a hotspot of covid; I don't like the carpark; why can't I go where I had my flu jab." All with transport; not a great distance away, parking and facilities.
If this is a representative sample of take-up, no wonder there will be delays while they are accommodated elsewhere. Very selfish.