Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Corona ward issues

(6 Posts)
EllanVannin Fri 18-Dec-20 10:59:09

This time last year there were a lot of sick people being admitted----I remember it well and Covid was with us then ! The coughing and choking that I heard was horrendous. Staff very suddenly came to life running around fully gowned/masked and gloved I know because I was in the thick of it and have often wondered how those patients got on.

Daisymae Fri 18-Dec-20 10:56:13

This is not new, but I fear that the situation will be made so much worse because of the no visitor rules. My mother was recovering in hospital and had been staring at a drink for 3 hours, placed just out of reach, this was years ago. Visitors would have called complained about the man in the article crying out for water for hours. Although the man points out understaffing he said he did not witness any care. People must speak out.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Dec-20 09:39:38

My husband came out of hospital a month ago after being treated for Covid and pneumonia.
They never once made contact with me, and when I contacted them (rarely) communication was very poor.
I know that there was a lot of waiting for beds.
Like others, I think that they were utterly overworked and understaffed.

The next few months are going to be unbelievably grim.

YorkLady Fri 18-Dec-20 09:34:29

Daisymae

I have been concerned about the impact of no visitor policies on some wards. Reading this one man's experience has has reinforced those concerns. www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/essex-covid-man-horrified-elderly-4798897?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

What stood out for me was his quote that the ward was understaffed and overworked.
We need more stories like this to be told, appalling as they are!
Maybe it would shock people into taking more care as we realise that the NHS really cannot cope with this extra pressure.

Missfoodlove Fri 18-Dec-20 08:29:06

We have a close friend on life support (not COVID) the lack of communicatin from the hospital to his wife has been appalling,
They didn’t even relay the full extent of his injuries.

Daisymae Fri 18-Dec-20 08:00:21

I have been concerned about the impact of no visitor policies on some wards. Reading this one man's experience has has reinforced those concerns. www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/essex-covid-man-horrified-elderly-4798897?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar