Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How do the logistics work?

(15 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Dec-20 16:34:38

I’ve been thinking about the vaccine roll out and the need to vaccinate millions of people.

We know that it is not yet up fully running, but it seems a massive undertaking.

Then I wondered how on earth it will be managed if the vaccine will needed to be given every year!!

Oh and Johnson has just said he wants to avoid a National lock down.

So a National lockdown it is before long

AGAA4 Fri 18-Dec-20 16:47:47

There may not be enough vaccine for everyone and the richest countries will get it first although there is a plan to make sure they don't hog the whole lot.
I think there will be more lockdowns before enough people are vaccinated. Is it around 70% of people to be effective?

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Dec-20 17:43:29

If the vaccine needs to be given every year, I assume it will be managed in the same way as the flu vaccine is.

welbeck Fri 18-Dec-20 17:57:18

it is a bit concerning that so many front-line HCPs are refusing to have the vaccine.
i would not feel happy if i was being nursed by someone who refused to have the vaccine.
i don't think it is fair on the patients.

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Dec-20 18:00:22

I totally agree- it is selfish.

chelseababy Fri 18-Dec-20 18:05:00

There are 3.2 million over 80s in the UK so it wont be a quick fix.

Ilovecheese Fri 18-Dec-20 18:08:28

The flue vaccine is given every year, yes, but to far far fewer people than will need the covid vaccine.
But, I suppose we did manage to convert so many of our homes to North Sea gas, that must have been a big undertaking.
We just have to do it.

Yup, lockdown coming after Christmas!

EllanVannin Fri 18-Dec-20 18:19:32

It's like closing the gate after the horse has bolted ! Ridiculous.
Prevention is better than cure and a blanket ban on ALL meetings/ get-togethers over Christmas would have stopped the virus in its tracks.

1 in 5 have disobeyed rules and openly admitted so and because of that everyone suffers. It'll still continue until next Christmas. It's every man for himself isn't it ?

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Dec-20 18:36:09

EllanVannin I agrée, personally I’d take a lockdown from Christmas Eve for a month and I realise there are many who don’t want this for various valid reasons. Its so difficult, many need to see others for their mental health and if they broke lockdown, along with some who would anyway, I still think the majority would comply.

janeainsworth Fri 18-Dec-20 21:25:13

Whitewave I had a socially-distanced chat with a neighbour I happened to meet today.
She has volunteered to help with the mass vaccinations at one of the local GP practices, marshalling patients & supervising car parking.
It occurred to me that there might be more risk associated with the attending the venue for mass vaccination, than from the vaccine itself.
However, it will not deter me from having the vaccine whenever it is offered.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 13:01:04

Jeremy Hunt has stated that the stock of vaccine will run out in January, with nothing ordered until March.

I fervently hope he is wrong, but knowing this governments record it doesn’t surprise me.

If we had accepted the EUs offer of help, this would not have happened.

They are rolling out after Christmas.

growstuff Sat 19-Dec-20 13:21:24

I have searched in vain for news of any new delivery from Pfizer. Maybe they're just being very quiet about it and millions of doses will arrive in the next week or so. I couldn't contradict what Jeremy Hunt has claimed.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Dec-20 13:25:17

I've been looking for any news on it, too, but it seems to have disappeared.

Daisymae Sat 19-Dec-20 13:26:51

I know someone who works in a pharmacy and was offered the vaccine. This person could also nominate a family member, they chose their partner. I don't think that this is quite right, you would think that allocation would be on need. As for logistics, well its such a complex issue. But I am sure we can rest easy as the government must have it all in hand. However I somehow think that Jeremy Hunt probably has a handle on things.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 13:59:30

Even grimmer news.

The latest strain is 50% more infectious, which means that we need a higher rate if vaccine take up, and given the fact that we seem to have cocked up the ordering.

What happened to Oxford? But the issue there would be its effectiveness I would have thought.

The idiot is making an announcement the afternoon.