Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Visit To Mum

(5 Posts)
Teacheranne Sun 27-Dec-20 11:13:01

I suggest you look on Gov.uk website for the rules regarding care visits as I think you are permitted to visit in order to provide respite care - which is what you would be doing if you went to your mums to give your brother a break. It does not matter if you are in Tier Four when providing care is concerned.

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Dec-20 11:01:23

Hello,
I think the answer is no, unfortunately. I can see why you’d want to though.
It might be different if it was “essential” - if your mum needed extra care for example, say, overnight or after a fall or illness.
As the carers go in twice, and your brother twice, it’s difficult...

If your brother was suffering (illenes?) and she was unable to manage without his visits I think you could make a case.

The whole thing is confusing and not always very logical it seems to me.

Margaret59 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:30:03

Thanks Riverwalk ?

Riverwalk Sun 27-Dec-20 09:17:58

As far as I understand the rules you are not allowed to travel out of Tier 4, particularly to stay the night.

From Day 1 of all these restrictions welfare visits for the vulnerable are allowed but as your mother has carers twice a day and her son lives next door I don't think she would count as needing a welfare visit.

Of course I understand your desire to go and see her and to give your brother a break but only you can decide if it's wise to do so.

Margaret59 Sun 27-Dec-20 08:33:19

Hi I live in a tier3 area, 200miles from my 86 year old mum who is in a tier4 area. Mum lives next door to my brother who goes in twice a day to see mum, she also had carers twice a day to provide meals. Am I allowed to visit and stay overnight at mums to give my brother a break if I self isolate prior to visit. The rules are confusing to say the least.