Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Teachers to get vaccine, says The Sunday Times

(10 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sun 27-Dec-20 19:10:19

Hooray! I hope this is correct. In today's Sunday Times it states that it is understood that teachers will be high on the list for vaccinations - just below NHS staff and the elderly - as the Government strives to fulfil its promise to reopen schools to all pupils in the New Year.

EllanVannin Sun 27-Dec-20 19:19:58

Teenage pupils too ?

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 19:20:20

Finally someone has seen sense!

GagaJo Sun 27-Dec-20 19:21:31

Thank goodness! We are in group 3 in Switzerland too.

Sparkling Sun 27-Dec-20 19:23:07

I hope so, government has a plan based on need. Important that youngster get to school,

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 19:29:05

The vaccine will give some protection to staff, but there is no evidence it will stop transmission in schools, which is the real problem. The pupils themselves are taking infection home to their families.

Teenagers under 16 can't be vaccinated because the vaccine hasn't been trialled on them. In any case, it still wouldn't stop transmission and would be a waste of a scarce resource.

I do wish the government would be straight with the public and stop their spin and unrealistic promises.

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 19:29:42

Sparkling

I hope so, government has a plan based on need. Important that youngster get to school,

Which is precisely why the cycle of transmission must be broken, which vaccines won't do.

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 19:30:42

IMO schools must remain partially closed until all the people at high risk of serious symptoms or death are vaccinated.

Ellianne Sun 27-Dec-20 19:34:28

Maybe they should consider vaccinating other adults in the teachers' households.
Far more sensible than closing all schools.

growstuff Sun 27-Dec-20 19:51:57

Ellianne

Maybe they should consider vaccinating other adults in the teachers' households.
Far more sensible than closing all schools.

(sigh)

That's why there's a priority list of those who should be vaccinated.

Once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated (between 15 and 20 million of them), it will be safer to open schools fully. That's the way it must be done.

It doesn't help when people lobby to promote the interests of certain groups, so the most vulnerable are moved further down the list.

I'm still waiting for confirmation that there will be enough doses to keep to the proposed schedule.