Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

World's fastest innoculation drive

(14 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 30-Dec-20 15:11:10

Israel is just nine days into its Covid-19 vaccination drive and already it has inoculated 5.7 per cent of its population –more than five times the 1.2 per cent reached in Britain.

More Israelis have now been vaccinated than have caught the virus and that includes more than 25 per cent of those aged 60 and above.

uk.yahoo.com/news/world-fastest-covid-inoculation-drive-181153170.html

BigBertha1 Wed 30-Dec-20 15:12:30

Wow that's impressive. Let's hope we follow suit.

fiorentina51 Wed 30-Dec-20 16:59:37

Israel has a population of 8.8 million. The UK has a population of around 66 million. So far the UK has vaccinated around 790000 and Israel 266000.
I congratulate the Israeli government on its speedy roll out of their vaccination programme but you're not comparing like with like.
Similarly, it's easier to contain infection when you have less density of population to contend with.

GagaJo Wed 30-Dec-20 17:01:13

It wasn't a comparison (on my part, anyway). Just nice news. We all need a bit of good news.

Urmstongran Wed 30-Dec-20 17:50:14

Israel’s response has been amazing hasn’t it? Let’s hope ‘best practice’ ideas (deploying the army appropriately for example) are replicated elsewhere.

GagaJo Wed 30-Dec-20 19:22:46

I couldn't agree more Urmstongran. The military were prepared to be roped in during the first wave, or so I heard. Lets hope they are able to do their bit now.

They could show up the inept management of the government in organisational skills, that is for sure.

Pittcity Wed 30-Dec-20 21:57:08

Here's how....

Callistemon Wed 30-Dec-20 22:42:12

I can't speak for Aldi but we'd all be vaccinated by now if we were going through a Lidl checkout!

Rosie51 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:52:04

Well done Israel! Good news indeed.

Israel is just nine days into its Covid-19 vaccination drive and already it has inoculated 5.7 per cent of its population –more than five times the 1.2 per cent reached in Britain. Sorry that's incorrect, 5 times 1.2 is 6 so it's not even five times let alone more. GagaJo given you compared the Israeli numbers with British ones I rather think you were making a comparison.

Callistemon Thu 31-Dec-20 12:57:02

Well done Istael.

Of course, many may not realise why they have been so speedy and efficient.
They have called in the Army and, of course, still have conscription for all 18 year olds.

Some who are congratulating them may not agree with conscription.

Callistemon Thu 31-Dec-20 12:57:35

Well done Israel, not Istael

NotTooOld Fri 01-Jan-21 21:39:01

Yesterday I was feeling really confident that covid would soon be over now thanks to two reliable vaccines. Now there are all these stories about the vaccines running out and supplies not getting through. DH says I should stop watching the news. Perhaps he's right?

lemongrove Fri 01-Jan-21 23:50:55

fiorentina51

Israel has a population of 8.8 million. The UK has a population of around 66 million. So far the UK has vaccinated around 790000 and Israel 266000.
I congratulate the Israeli government on its speedy roll out of their vaccination programme but you're not comparing like with like.
Similarly, it's easier to contain infection when you have less density of population to contend with.

Thanks for pointing this out before I did??

MawBe Sat 02-Jan-21 15:33:55

Callistemon

Well done Istael.

Of course, many may not realise why they have been so speedy and efficient.
They have called in the Army and, of course, still have conscription for all 18 year olds.

Some who are congratulating them may not agree with conscription.

Israeli soldiers shoot Harun Abu Aram in the neck point blank as they try to confiscate his electricity generator. He was helping rebuild his neighbours home that Israel demolished

I’m not sure I want a National conscripted army who do this sort of thing, however efficient their vaccination programme is. hmm .