Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Blood plasma

(7 Posts)
Kate1949 Mon 04-Jan-21 12:20:46

Sorry. GagaJo not Gajo

Kate1949 Mon 04-Jan-21 12:18:55

I don't know Gajo. They didn't elaborate.

Flaxseed Mon 04-Jan-21 12:01:13

During the first wave, a lot of my colleagues were redeployed to ITU. The vast majority of the patients they were nursing were men.
We have a colleague on the high dependency unit at the moment. Both her and her husband were admitted the same day, she is slowly recovering. He deteriorated rapidly and is still on a ventilator sad

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 11:44:25

Odd Kate, why I wonder?

Kate1949 Mon 04-Jan-21 11:23:10

It's odd. Our daughter and son-in-law tested positive for Covid in November. Thankfully they were OK.
A few weeks later DD was contacted asking if she would donate her plasma (son-in-law wasn't contacted). DD said yes of course. They asked her a few questions and then said they couldn't use her as they needed people who were quite overweight.

growstuff Mon 04-Jan-21 09:52:40

I can't donate blood anyway because I'm an AB+ female. There's little demand for it and fresh frozen plasma is not produced from donations by women due to antibodies that can be produced during pregnancy that may cause a life-threatening condition in the patient receiving their plasma.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jan-21 09:43:36

There have been lots of ads requesting men to donate blood if they have had coronavirus as it can be used to create plasma transfusions to treat those with the virus.

I was intrigued as to why it was only men, and it seems that men produce more antibodies to the disease than women do. I could not work out whether this also means that women are at higher risk of serious illness from covid because they do not produce as many antibodies. However I found some research which says: "In all countries that report death rates by sex, men diagnosed with COVID-19 are more likely to die. " How bizarre is this?

I also found out that, outside of coronavirus issues, women's plasma carries a small risk of causing a lung condition n recipients, so is routinely discarded.

You lives and you learns!