Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown not a lockdown.

(25 Posts)
Mamardoit Wed 06-Jan-21 10:08:36

eazybee

The reason we are having to deal 'with all this crap' as someone so elegantly put it, is because people have interpreted the rules to suit their own needs, understandable but dangerous, which is why the virus is spreading again. I believe the rules will become law today, so no options.

Childcare is one of the reasons the government fought desperately to keep schools open if at all possible.

Sorry for being less than perfectly polite. Am I not elegant? Maybe I should step away for a while!

Just to add we have never stepped out of line re covid rules. We even detox the shopping and post.

Genty Wed 06-Jan-21 10:02:18

Mamardoit

MissAdventure

Well, that's me told! blush

Sorry if my post appeared rude. It probably was uncalled for.

No need to apologise Marmadoit, your post wasnt rude or uncalled for at all. I 100% agree with you. We are in the same storm but not in the same boat. Saying that theres few boats I wouldnt even attempt to climb in ! grin

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jan-21 09:57:49

No need for apologies. smile

I think everyone is a bit frazzled and frustrated; I am, for sure.

Mamardoit Wed 06-Jan-21 09:55:42

MissAdventure

Sorry if my post appeared rude. It probably was uncalled for.

Lucretzia Wed 06-Jan-21 09:54:10

Totally agree with you, Minigrandma•

I don't have childcare issues myself but it's amazing how many friends/relatives are having to work through this lockdown. Everyone concerned was on the 3 month furlough. This time? Hardly any.

A utility company has told its vulnerable workers, ( 50+, diabetes, high blood pressure etc etc) that it's business as usual

Baffling

eazybee Wed 06-Jan-21 09:50:34

The reason we are having to deal 'with all this crap' as someone so elegantly put it, is because people have interpreted the rules to suit their own needs, understandable but dangerous, which is why the virus is spreading again. I believe the rules will become law today, so no options.

Childcare is one of the reasons the government fought desperately to keep schools open if at all possible.

grannyactivist Wed 06-Jan-21 09:36:33

I do feel for parents who face the dilemma of having to work AND provide childcare, but I’m grateful my own family would not put me in the position of having to say yes/no to looking after their children. My youngest son is a single parent and is working to deadlines as an engineer whilst taking care of his pre-schooler - it’s tremendously difficult for him.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jan-21 09:29:14

Biscuitmuncher Wed 06-Jan-21 09:27:48

It amazes me everyone thinks all people can work from home!!!

Mamardoit Wed 06-Jan-21 09:25:46

MissAdventure

For goodness sake! angry
Yes, we ALL have reasons why our case is different, why we are exceptional.

I'm surprised parents would accept vulnerable relatives doing childcare.

If that post is aimed at me. You can go and do one!

I can if I choose to go and help my DD with a child who is not yet one. So far WE have decided that I will not.

We are all in the same storm but we are not in the same boat.
Some are in a luxury yacht ie nice house, garden, well paid job (good pension), able to work safely from home, no/older DC. Some are in the water ie no money for rent living off food bank. Some are paddling for dear life in a bloody canoe that's sinking fast.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Jan-21 09:11:07

My understanding is that legally you can still form a childcare bubble, or a support bubble if a family has a child who was less than a year old on December 2. Happy to be corrected if I’ve got that wrong.

I think beyond that you have to make your own risk assessment regarding your own health & the prevalence of the virus in your own area.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jan-21 09:05:37

For goodness sake! angry
Yes, we ALL have reasons why our case is different, why we are exceptional.

I'm surprised parents would accept vulnerable relatives doing childcare.

Mamardoit Wed 06-Jan-21 08:57:35

I'm in a similar position. DH does have a condition which means he is at risk. Pre all this crap we were minding for two families. One lot are now school age so in school because both parents are key NHS.

The other family are all pre school including a baby. DD is back after maternity leave but can work from home. But she can't really work with 3 DC with her. They are in a nursery part of the week but can't afford a full week for all three. At the moment she is struggling on with son-in-law taking time off. He can't risk his job and even though his boss understands things are difficult.

I would have to travel to help. Not sure what to do. My head says stay away my heart says go and help them.

Genty Wed 06-Jan-21 08:43:18

Nana3

You are in a difficult situation Minigrandma aren't you? Not everyone's situation is black and white. I send my best wishes flowers

Regardless of what the situation is we are in lockdown and have been told to stay at home, too many people are adjusting the covid rules to suit themselves and to hell with anyone else! angry

Nana3 Wed 06-Jan-21 08:38:20

You are in a difficult situation Minigrandma aren't you? Not everyone's situation is black and white. I send my best wishes flowers

growstuff Wed 06-Jan-21 08:26:36

Minigrandma If you're in the genuine shielding category with one of the conditions or having treatment on the government website, you really should not be looking after grandchildren, especially if one is at a nursery for part of the week and the parents are working outside the home. It's the parents' responsibility.

Sarahmob Wed 06-Jan-21 08:21:00

I totally understand where you are coming from Minigrandma. My daughter and son-in-law both work from home and are essential workers (they make sure that the supermarkets don’t run out of stock). Although their 3 year old is in nursery 2 days a week, they need him looked after for the remaining days, so I go out to care for him. During the first lockdown they moved into our house for six weeks but that hasn’t happened this time. (Better for the mental health of us all).

Esspee Tue 05-Jan-21 22:01:21

You do not have grandchildren to look after. You are shielding.
The parents have children to look after and they need to sort that out.

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Jan-21 21:20:28

Could the 2 year old go to nursery? Could both parents go p/t until schools return? If you’re shielding, that is paramount.

Minigrandma Tue 05-Jan-21 21:09:16

Oopsadaisy1
You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home.

This is on the government website.

Minigrandma Tue 05-Jan-21 21:04:40

Silly auto correct Genty.

Minigrandma Tue 05-Jan-21 21:03:24

Gently I know a lot of non essential shops have shut down for six weeks, that’s my point this is a non essential business which is doing click and collect.

It’s not a full lockdown in my humble opinion.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 05-Jan-21 20:59:40

Why are they still working then? We are supposed to be working from home as before.

Genty Tue 05-Jan-21 20:53:12

Obviously you didnt read the news or hear Boris say we are in lockdown! Schools arent the only thing thats closed, loads of non essential shops have closed for 6 weeks.!

Minigrandma Tue 05-Jan-21 20:38:48

How am I supposed to shield when I have grandchildren to look after.

When the original lockdown was on my grandchildren’s parent was furloughed, this time they are still working even though it’s not an essential service.

No there is no one else, to look after them, ones usually at school and the other is only 2.

Everyone is saying it’s a lockdown it’s really not, all that has happened is the schools have shut.

It’s really making me angry now.